Why is China still imposing such huge lockdowns?

(1/3) > >>

dolphins4life:
Are they trying to combat climate change?

I mean, maybe a nationwide or worldwide shift to having people who can work from home work from home permanently would be a good idea, but I don't think a full lockdown is necessary.

I LOVE lockdowns, but I understand that most people do not like them.

Phishfan:
Back to your favorite topic (second favorite, I forgot Brady), COVID. Why do you ask questions that are all over the internet?

Dave Gray:
I don't think that China has access to our vaccines with the same efficacy or maybe they don't have the doses to cover their entire population.  Their 0 COVID policy isn't sustainable, I guess, but they're still trying.

I don't believe it's likely that they will be straight-forward with their data, so it will be hard to tell how successful their various effort were -- after the initial outbreak, the lockdown process there seemed to help tamp it down.  It sounds like they're having trouble transferring into endemic COVID.

dolphins4life:
According to Wikipedia, they did a good job containing the virus by enforcing lockdowns.

Dave Gray:
^ Yeah, they did.

Two things can be true.

Lockdowns are effective at stopping the spread of a virus.  But they have negative social and economic effects.  And it's not sustainable forever.  It's a drastic, but temporary solution to limit spread.

I have heard (though not confirmed) that the availability and perhaps efficacy of the vaccines in China aren't good.  So, the government is still imposing lockdowns and the people are starting to reach their limit.  In addition, China doesn't have free speech laws like we do -- so you can't just go out and protest or you get dragged off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page