Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:28:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Padres Sign Xander Boegerts to 11 Year/$280 Million Contract
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Padres Sign Xander Boegerts to 11 Year/$280 Million Contract  (Read 935 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 08, 2022, 09:55:01 am »

As I've stated in the past, I respect the Padres ownership for doing everything it can to build a winner. However, the dude is 30 and his best season was 3 years ago. In the short term, this makes them better. In 5 years? Disastrous contract.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 10:13:04 am »

As I've stated in the past, I respect the Padres ownership for doing everything it can to build a winner. However, the dude is 30 and his best season was 3 years ago. In the short term, this makes them better. In 5 years? Disastrous contract.

And he has improved across the board in recent seasons.

As a Padres fan...happy to have him. I was really pulling for Trea Turner, but I'll take Bogaerts.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 11:56:26 am »

You'll take Bogey and love him.  It is a disgrace Boston let him walk.  You don't find many guys like him who produce as solidly as they do in the clubhouse and the field. 

Bogaerts is going to EAT in the Padres lineup.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 12:38:10 pm »

You'll take Bogey and love him.  It is a disgrace Boston let him walk.  You don't find many guys like him who produce as solidly as they do in the clubhouse and the field. 

Bogaerts is going to EAT in the Padres lineup.

That's a lot of years for a 30 year old infielder. I have no doubt that short term this makes them a top contender, but eventually tomorrow will come and those massive contracts to guys in their late 30's will add up. Not every owner will be comfortable with a $500 Million payroll, especially if $200 Million of that is to players who can't hit anymore.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 12:54:42 pm »

That's a lot of years for a 30 year old infielder. I have no doubt that short term this makes them a top contender, but eventually tomorrow will come and those massive contracts to guys in their late 30's will add up. Not every owner will be comfortable with a $500 Million payroll, especially if $200 Million of that is to players who can't hit anymore.

Yeah, but if the Padres win a couple of World Series before all those studs start getting old, you won't hear me complaining...not for a second.  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 01:49:21 pm »

Yeah, but if the Padres win a couple of World Series before all those studs start getting old, you won't hear me complaining...not for a second.  Wink

That's basically the owner's mentality too. Does anyone even remember who the Cubs traded at the deadline to help them win their World Series? Same goes for any franchise. The fans will forgive anything as long as they have a recent title. What they won't forgive are cap killing contracts or dumping prospects for moves that didn't work, so the Padres better get at least one title before the bill comes due.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray