Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:08:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Frugal February 2023
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Frugal February 2023  (Read 1493 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 09:57:32 pm »

Wait you do this without your wife's blessing. I'd sleep with one eye open.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 10:34:45 pm »

I'd like to learn more about Mint Mobile.
There has to be a catch.
Like, Metro PCS has crappy service and it used to be that your phone wouldn't work if you left the state.  I'm sure that's not true any more.

How can places like AT&T and Verizon justify their cost when Mint exists.  What's the catch?

Metro is on Tmobile network. I never had issues with service in or out of state.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 09:34:44 am »

Day 1 was a success.

I had a movie ticket voucher from a subscription to a theater.  I used my voucher, then paused the subscription so I wouldn't be charged.  I made my own trail mix at home and snuck a Coke Zero in my pocket.

My mother-in-law did drop us off sandwiches that she had picked up.  I will never game the system and ask someone else to buy me something, but sometimes I get lucky.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 09:42:19 am »

I'd like to learn more about Mint Mobile.
There has to be a catch.
Like, Metro PCS has crappy service and it used to be that your phone wouldn't work if you left the state.  I'm sure that's not true any more.

How can places like AT&T and Verizon justify their cost when Mint exists.  What's the catch?

Mint uses the T-Mobile network, so if your T-Mobile coverage is bad, Mint is not going to be for you. They also have relatively high upfront costs since their cost structure incentivizes long term commitments paid up front. There are also some restrictions wrt data. Even on unlimited, there's a 5 GB hotspot cap (seriously, practically no countries except for the US even have this) and you will be throttled after 35 GB. There are also some "prepaid" limitations that I've never really understood. That is, some services don't work with prepaid numbers. It can be really stupid crap, too, like the recent Battlenet account stuff where no one with a phone # on a prepaid plan could sign up - and still can't - so no Overwatch 2 for you!

Smart Watches also apparently don't work well with them (I've read that "Visible" is the only prepaid that works with them, but don't have any personal experience).
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 12:58:23 pm »

I use Trac Fone for cell service and my total expense per YEAR is $164.00.  It runs off of the predominant local provider, Verizon or AT&T, so I never have any connection issues.  That's based on $7/ month regular fee, $30 per year in extra text/GB usage that ends up exceeding the standard allotment, and another $50 in amortized phone cost (I replace my phone about every 3 years, the last phone I paid about $150 for a new, older model Samsung Galaxy).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2023, 08:14:29 am »

I have had some bad luck with things breaking in the house.  I'm going to have to replace my A/C unit, so I'm out 6K on that job.  
And today, I discovered that a window was broken and I couldn't get it up or down....it was kinda stuck 1" cracked open.  Luckily I was able to go and "fix" the window so it's closed and sealed, but it's not working properly.  It does make it something I don't have to deal with right now though.

I spent the day detailing my car.  ...inside, at least.  It took all day and I got as deep down as I could, removing everything and even pulling up the seats.  It doesn't really have to do with frugality, but it was a good way to stay productive and have something to do.

A small medical bill left over from my kidney stone was emailed to me.  It was the difference that insurance didn't pay, which was like $16.  That and my mortgage are the only two things paid so far.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 09:42:35 am »

I renegotiated my internet bill today.  Some OK savings, but the promotion was for a higher Mbps that I had (and higher than I need, really).

It's a dog and pony show and it's a pain in the ass.  I don't want to switch.  You know it.  I know it.  But your competitors will charge me 50% of what you're charging to get me hooked.

So, they drop it some, still end up earning more than they would've.  So, they lock me in for a few more years at a more competitive price.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 11:09:32 am »

Years ago i switched from ATT to comcast as internet providers. I signed up for comcast, had it installed, called ATT and told them to turn my shit off as the installer was setting up comcast. They tried offering me discounts and when i told the guy on the phone that the comcast installer was finishing up the comcast installation, he got super mad, and asked why i wouldn't even give them a chance to match prices. Which of course made it even better for me when i told him that i didn't owe him shit and who the fuck does he think he is to comment on what i choose to purchase. It was honestly a very satisfying conversation on my part.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 01:19:28 pm »

My lawn service went up by $15 a month.  ...which I kinda knew was coming since I had a better rate than my neighbors.  I made the offer to only got up $5 if I paid for the year upfront, so that was a win, I guess.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray