Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Ron DeSantis vs Ronald Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis vs Ronald Reagan  (Read 1454 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 02:45:36 pm »

DeSantis is doing a phenomenal job at firing up the extremists within the GOP (great for the primary) but at the cost of alienating moderates (bad for the general election).  While the far right wing may love his sending refugees from Texas to Massachusetts, his extreme positions on abortion, his war on teachers, his war on the LBGT, his book burnings, and him valuing guns more than students, none of those positions will win him votes with independents.     
Quite the opposite. He's brought back many of the ones who left because of Trump and some who were never on this side of the fence. All you read is CNN headlines so you have a very warped view. The guy is doing a great job as his election results have shown. It's not like the extreme right jumped out of the woodwork and even figured out how to vote as a minority.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 03:40:30 pm »

I think both CF and Hoodie are wrong.  DeSantis is a blank slate that GOPers who think that Trump is unelectable are imprinting themselves on.  Right now, in their minds, he is whatever they want him to be.  The national GOP voter knows very little about Desantis.

It's a long road ahead.  If Desantis is the front-runner, the other GOP nomineees will attack him and his record and we'll see how he responds.  He isn't as charismatic as Trump but he's better at staying out of certain fights.  The best thing about Desantis, in terms of electability, is that he occasionally just shuts up and doesn't dig a hole for himself, something Trump never was able to do.

Desantis will probably follow a more traditional path towards getting elected -- appeal to the base with stunts (which is what you're seeing now) and then try to forget about all that stuff during the general, to not scare away moderates.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 07:19:45 pm »

DeSantis is not relevant on the presidential stage until/unless Trump is incarcerated.  Trump is running, and there is zero chance DeSantis will challenge the orange emperor directly.  Even if he were courageous* enough to do so, it's a lose-lose proposition: either Trump humiliates him in the primary, or he actually defeats Trump, to which Trump would respond by insisting that the primary was fake and rigged... possibly even running third-party in the general.  DeSantis is far better off sitting out this cycle and letting Trump sink or swim, then running in 2028 when the path should be clear either way.  (I can't imagine that even the GOP would nominate Trump a third time if he loses again in 2024.)

*When it comes to courage, DeSantis is only willing to take on the absolute least powerful people in our society: i.e. felons trying to restore their right to vote (as Florida voters decided in 2018), gay teachers, transgender kids, and so on.  He will take on those people all day long.  But when it comes to taking on Donald Trump, DeSantis will bend the knee and kiss the ring.  Like most of the Republican Party in 2023, he is a bully who is only interested in flexing on the weak and powerless.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 08:36:25 pm »

DeSantis is not relevant on the presidential stage until/unless Trump is incarcerated.  Trump is running, and there is zero chance DeSantis will challenge the orange emperor directly.  Even if he were courageous* enough to do so, it's a lose-lose proposition: either Trump humiliates him in the primary, or he actually defeats Trump, to which Trump would respond by insisting that the primary was fake and rigged... possibly even running third-party in the general.  DeSantis is far better off sitting out this cycle and letting Trump sink or swim, then running in 2028 when the path should be clear either way.  (I can't imagine that even the GOP would nominate Trump a third time if he loses again in 2024.)

*When it comes to courage, DeSantis is only willing to take on the absolute least powerful people in our society: i.e. felons trying to restore their right to vote (as Florida voters decided in 2018), gay teachers, transgender kids, and so on.  He will take on those people all day long.  But when it comes to taking on Donald Trump, DeSantis will bend the knee and kiss the ring.  Like most of the Republican Party in 2023, he is a bully who is only interested in flexing on the weak and powerless.

No he is not.  He actually wants our country to be great.  Look how great a job he has done in Florida.   That's why he won in a landslide.

Biden is running this country into the ground.  The problem is voters vote based on personality, not based on how good a candidate is, or how good his policies are.  This is one reason why there was no red wave in 2022.  I can't fathom why people would vote like this.  One theory is the one I get crap on here for:  That people just like to sponge off the government and be lazy.   

Under Trump, the economy was booming.  Inflation was almost non-existent.  Our borders were protected.  We were achieving energy independence. 

Our Covid response was NOT the worst on the planet.  This is something Democrats just like to make up and throw in everybody's face. 

Trump can't win in 2024, despite how much he achieved in his presidency.  Desantis is like Trump only he doesn't have the personality flaws.  Florida used to be a key swing state, but DeSantis has turned it red.  I think DeSantis could mop the floor with Biden.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
DenverFinFan
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 09:47:55 pm »

No he is not.  He actually wants our country to be great.  Look how great a job he has done in Florida.   That's why he won in a landslide.

Biden is running this country into the ground.  The problem is voters vote based on personality, not based on how good a candidate is, or how good his policies are.  This is one reason why there was no red wave in 2022.  I can't fathom why people would vote like this.  One theory is the one I get crap on here for:  That people just like to sponge off the government and be lazy.  

Under Trump, the economy was booming.  Inflation was almost non-existent.  Our borders were protected.  We were achieving energy independence.  

Our Covid response was NOT the worst on the planet.  This is something Democrats just like to make up and throw in everybody's face.  

Trump can't win in 2024, despite how much he achieved in his presidency.  Desantis is like Trump only he doesn't have the personality flaws.  Florida used to be a key swing state, but DeSantis has turned it red.  I think DeSantis could mop the floor with Biden.

No one voted for Biden because of his personality they voted for him because Trump is an incompetent and dangerous maniac who was running this country into the ground.

Regardless, maybe DeSantis can beat an unpopular Biden. Maybe not I don’t think he has the appeal that Trump did but you’re right he’s much more or a stable human being. He can mask his evil a lot better.

There’s a lot of factors of course. The economy might rebound, there could a be war, Biden could get sick. Someone we don’t know could capture the electorate..

DeSantis winning Florida in a landslide in a former swing state doesn’t mean anything more than Jared Polis winning in a landslide in formerly RED Colorado does.

One of the biggest dangers about Trump was that maybe he sets the stage for  a competent and outwardly sane fascist like DeSantis. We will find out soon enough if Ronnie D is that guy.

Personally I felt Crist embarrassed DeSanny in the Florida debates, apparently FL residents disagree.

God help us all if another republican ever sniffs close enough to the White House.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:50:02 pm by DenverFinFan » Logged
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 12:47:32 am »

How did Trump run this country into the ground?

Don't say COVID.  Things would have been exactly the same under any president.

Trump had things going great.

BIDEN is running this country into the ground.

Hence,

Inflation

Millions of people entering the country illegally.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 01:36:13 pm »

Inflation is a worldwide phenomena in large part caused by Covid. 

And Ronald Reagan is responsible for many of the refugees at our boarder as it was his policies that fucked up many of the central american countries.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 04:33:32 pm »

Inflation is a worldwide phenomena in large part caused by Covid. 

And Ronald Reagan is responsible for many of the refugees at our boarder as it was his policies that fucked up many of the central american countries.   

So is Covid, yet all the democrats want to blame trump for that

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 05:21:12 pm »

So is Covid, yet all the democrats want to blame trump for that

I don't blame Trump for Covid.  I blame Trump for the poor response from the Federal government.  In related news I don't blame Brown/Bush for Hurricane Katrina, but I do blame them for the slow response by Fema.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 07:42:35 pm »

No he is not.  He actually wants our country to be great.  Look how great a job he has done in Florida.   That's why he won in a landslide.

Biden is running this country into the ground.  The problem is voters vote based on personality, not based on how good a candidate is, or how good his policies are.  This is one reason why there was no red wave in 2022.  I can't fathom why people would vote like this.  One theory is the one I get crap on here for:  That people just like to sponge off the government and be lazy.   

Under Trump, the economy was booming.  Inflation was almost non-existent.  Our borders were protected.  We were achieving energy independence. 

Our Covid response was NOT the worst on the planet.  This is something Democrats just like to make up and throw in everybody's face. 

Trump can't win in 2024, despite how much he achieved in his presidency.  Desantis is like Trump only he doesn't have the personality flaws.  Florida used to be a key swing state, but DeSantis has turned it red.  I think DeSantis could mop the floor with Biden.

You are as gullible and as impressionable as any adult I have ever experienced in my life. If there is actually a bright side to you, it would be that there is just one of you.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2023, 02:37:41 am »

I don't blame Trump for Covid.  I blame Trump for the poor response from the Federal government.  In related news I don't blame Brown/Bush for Hurricane Katrina, but I do blame them for the slow response by Fema.

How was his response slow?

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 02:39:59 am »

I think both CF and Hoodie are wrong.  DeSantis is a blank slate that GOPers who think that Trump is unelectable are imprinting themselves on.  Right now, in their minds, he is whatever they want him to be.  The national GOP voter knows very little about Desantis.

It's a long road ahead.  If Desantis is the front-runner, the other GOP nomineees will attack him and his record and we'll see how he responds.  He isn't as charismatic as Trump but he's better at staying out of certain fights.  The best thing about Desantis, in terms of electability, is that he occasionally just shuts up and doesn't dig a hole for himself, something Trump never was able to do.

Desantis will probably follow a more traditional path towards getting elected -- appeal to the base with stunts (which is what you're seeing now) and then try to forget about all that stuff during the general, to not scare away moderates.

Even if I agreed with what you are saying, (which I don't) it seems to be working effectively.  DeSantis mopped the floor with Charlie Crist. 

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2023, 02:53:05 am »

You are as gullible and as impressionable as any adult I have ever experienced in my life. If there is actually a bright side to you, it would be that there is just one of you.

Not True.

non-Trump backed candidates did well in the midterms for the GOP.  Trump-backed candidates did not.  Desantis is the former.

He crushed it in Florida.  It is reasonable to assume that he could rush it in the rest of the country.

Can anybody on this board name one good thing Biden has done that doesn't involve taking money away from working people and giving it to non-working people?

As you yourself have stated, Stroke, Trump is a pyschotic nut job, which is why people won't vote for him.  I personally disagree with this line of reasoning.  I choose who I vote for based on their abilities and the effectiveness of their policies.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2023, 01:18:08 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhgHkhSy6EE&t=346s

This is a disaster for the GOP.

Trump should just shut up and realize that his time has passed.

I understand why this would be hard for him, considering how awesome his presidency was.

However, we have somebody better now in DeSantis.

Per a TikTok meme:

Inflation under Biden is 8.3
Under Trump it was 1.4

Gas prices under Biden are 3.91
Under Trump they were 2.31

Borders are open under Biden
They were secure under Trump

Crime is high under Biden
It was low under Trump

It is infuriating that people vote based on personality and elect a president who will run this country into the ground.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:33:34 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray