Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Peter King: Jets Would Love to Have Rodgers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Peter King: Jets Would Love to Have Rodgers  (Read 1694 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: January 24, 2023, 11:46:16 am »

Not a whole lot to this right now but it's a logicla fit, at least on the field. Jets can afford his salary and have a solid roster but no QB. Rodgers would attract some talent and the Jets could be an instant contender.

That being said, Aaron and the NY media? Goes together like Peanut Butter and Drano. Not to mention the AFC East is a pretty tough division and it may not be desirable for him.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:55:31 am »

Signing a diva former Packers QB at the tail end of his career worked out so well for them last time. Of course they want to do it again.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 11:56:06 am »

Go for it.  The odds of winning a championship that way are pretty low, IMO.  And then you sacrifice your future for a while, because you put resources into a player that you're not developing and the window closes.

It can work if you're one or two players away, but I don't think the Jets are that.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:14:09 pm »

Go for it.  The odds of winning a championship that way are pretty low, IMO.  And then you sacrifice your future for a while, because you put resources into a player that you're not developing and the window closes.

It can work if you're one or two players away, but I don't think the Jets are that.

I don't think they are either, but if Rodgers can still be elite, that's a playoff team. Maybe his arrival means he can attract some free agents and ring chasers to bridge the gapo between them and a legit contender. At the very least, I have no desire to play Rodgers twice a year so I hope it never happens.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:26:35 pm »

I think Rodgers has been great, historically, but is he still "elite"?

I think he's still good, but you gotta think his best years are behind him and the window is very, very small.  I don't doubt that maybe he gets you to the playoffs, but then what?  It's like you're sacrificing the future to make the playoffs twice.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 02:28:54 pm »

I think Rodgers has been great, historically, but is he still "elite"?

I think he's still good, but you gotta think his best years are behind him and the window is very, very small.  I don't doubt that maybe he gets you to the playoffs, but then what?  It's like you're sacrificing the future to make the playoffs twice.
He was league MVP just last year with a better receiver so it's not like he's fallen off a cliff.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 02:32:44 pm »

^ Age hits you fast.

Once the decline starts, it's pretty much there.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 02:45:31 pm »

^ Age hits you fast.

Once the decline starts, it's pretty much there.

True, but his receiver corps this season was one small step above You and I suiting up, so I don't think this year was proof of a decline. For only 2 years, he is a worthwhile gamble if you feel you can win a Superbowl with him.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 03:17:40 pm »

For only 2 years, he is a worthwhile gamble if you feel you can win a Superbowl with him.

I agree with this.

But I don't feel the Jets are close enough, so it seems to me they are using up the talent they do have for 2 years before they go on another long-term QB search, and by then, that talent will be moving on.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 04:17:24 pm »

I agree with this.

But I don't feel the Jets are close enough, so it seems to me they are using up the talent they do have for 2 years before they go on another long-term QB search, and by then, that talent will be moving on.

I partially disagree with you on this. The Jets have a quality defense already with a couple of legitimate all-star players (CB Sauce Gardner, LB CJ Mosley, DL Quinnen Williams), and a couple of outstanding rookie skill players on offense (WR Garrett Wilson, RB Breece Hall). If they add Rodgers, and make a couple of good choices in FA/Draft picks, I'm not so sure they are that far away from contention.

Just my $.02 anyway...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 04:22:24 pm »

I partially disagree with you on this. The Jets have a quality defense already with a couple of legitimate all-star players (CB Sauce Gardner, LB CJ Mosley, DL Quinnen Williams), and a couple of outstanding rookie skill players on offense (WR Garrett Wilson, RB Breece Hall). If they add Rodgers, and make a couple of good choices in FA/Draft picks, I'm not so sure they are that far away from contention.

Just my $.02 anyway...

Unfortunately, I agree with you. Opposing defenses worrying about Aaron Rodgers and a top notch RB? That creates problems and is attractive to free agents. Maybe they grab Gesicki and he goes for 900 yards next season, it would create a lot of problems for us. Easily the toughest division in the NFL.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 11:48:09 am »

Rodgers is still a great QB, I just kind of question his willingness to work hard anymore.  The last couple years he just seems lackadaisical at the start of seasons.  The Packers have been benefitting from bad Bears teams, and until this year bad Lions teams.  Maybe a new team would reinvigorate him, then again maybe it would just be a paycheck to him.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 11:49:48 am »

Just my $.02 anyway...

I was disappointed this year when a really good draft for the Jets, on paper, actually turned into a really good draft.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 12:23:58 pm »

I feel a little bit like I'm taking crazy pills.  The 7-10 Jets are close?

I mean...they're bad.

If you want to take the Cowboys and think you can win with Rodgers over Prescott or something, fine.  But the Jets?  How many wins difference are we attributing to one player here?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 12:51:40 pm »

I feel a little bit like I'm taking crazy pills.  The 7-10 Jets are close?

I mean...they're bad.

If you want to take the Cowboys and think you can win with Rodgers over Prescott or something, fine.  But the Jets?  How many wins difference are we attributing to one player here?

I don't think the owner cares as much about winning as he does about being relevant.  Much like Favre and the hiring of Ryan, Rodgers will give him a fighting chance at beating out the Giants for top story on the back page of the Post and Daily News.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray