Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:38:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How much does a good backup quarterback cost?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How much does a good backup quarterback cost?  (Read 1630 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 03:12:53 pm »

I have to agree with the consensus here...Skylar is the obvious choice to back up Tua in 2023. Dirt cheap on a late round rookie deal, plus he showed "enough" that you can still hope that, with more reps and time in-system, he could turn out to be something decent. Then, if Skylar does show he has value, and if Tua qualifies for a thicker skull-transplant and stays healthy, you have the greatest piece of tradebait possible...a young viable QB.  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Garrett

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 08:43:43 pm »

Only because his name was mentioned... I would not like Andy Dalton as our starting QB, but I would love him as our backup QB. He's a proven veteran. And he did win a lot of games with  Cincinnati... If Skylar  Thompson has to play  a  lot of games next year , we are fucked!

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 09:03:23 pm »

Skylar Thompson is not going to be able to lead this team into the playoffs next year unless the defense forces a flurry of turnovers every game.  Not likely.    

Especially given our schedule.  Yikes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:10:56 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 04:48:27 pm »

Regarding Dalton, sure.

But I think he's probably thinking "what's in it for me".  He would probably want to go somewhere where there's a chance that he can compete to start.  And that wouldn't be here.  The only way Tua won't play is if he can't.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 09:05:38 pm »

I'm totally against signing these veteran QB's that were former starters, 98% of them are just hanging around trying to squeeze the last several million out of teams while standing on the sideline.  They sure aren't going to be out there making plays if it means suffering a big injury.  I'd much rather have a younger guy out there that is trying to make a name for himself, although less experienced they are going to give a 110%.

And if a team's top priority is getting a top notch backup QB because you think there is a high risk of your starter being injured, then you should get rid of the starter.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 09:07:28 am »

Regarding Dalton, sure.

But I think he's probably thinking "what's in it for me".  He would probably want to go somewhere where there's a chance that he can compete to start.  And that wouldn't be here.  The only way Tua won't play is if he can't.

Again I think it's more complex than that, depending on the team and coaches. Horses for courses.

We had a rookie coach with a new, quick and complex game plan tailored around Tua - when Teddy was subbed in, it was all slowed down, he just couldn't get the ball out quick enough. Skylar was a lot better the two times he started, a Rookie who was third on the depth chart and had basically no real reps until he was thrown in the deep because of the other injuries. I think that's where the argument of needing an experienced backup comes undone, because he's too set in his ways to adjust to a new coach and plan, and a fresh backup learning the new system is not only a lot cheaper, but often as much if not more of a chance to be successful in the role.

Would we be better with Jimmy G who is possibly more familiar with the McDaniel/Shanahan way of doing things? Maybe, but at what cost? Andy Dalton though? I see another potential Teddy, so no thanks... I definitely don't want another potential (let's undermine the young QB to get his job) Fitztragic either.

You compare that with the benign Chad Henne option under a very experienced coach who has sat on the bench for the last five years behind Mahomes with a strict "don't f*ck it up" policy the rare times he gets on the field. Yeah, yeah, he led that (one, IMO not particularly impressive) drive against the Bills, but if it was any more than that I don't think the Chiefs would even have played against the Bengals last weekend.

I like what I saw from Skyler, and he's worth sticking with for what is a bargain outlay. He will be better being the designated second string behind Tua, so there's the hope he may develop into a genuine Frank Reich type backup - and I remember him burning us enough times to think that's worth the gamble. Plus we have other more important holes in the team to spend $$$ on.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 09:56:47 am »

Again I think it's more complex than that, depending on the team and coaches. Horses for courses.

We had a rookie coach with a new, quick and complex game plan tailored around Tua - when Teddy was subbed in, it was all slowed down, he just couldn't get the ball out quick enough. Skylar was a lot better the two times he started, a Rookie who was third on the depth chart and had basically no real reps until he was thrown in the deep because of the other injuries. I think that's where the argument of needing an experienced backup comes undone, because he's too set in his ways to adjust to a new coach and plan, and a fresh backup learning the new system is not only a lot cheaper, but often as much if not more of a chance to be successful in the role.

Would we be better with Jimmy G who is possibly more familiar with the McDaniel/Shanahan way of doing things? Maybe, but at what cost? Andy Dalton though? I see another potential Teddy, so no thanks... I definitely don't want another potential (let's undermine the young QB to get his job) Fitztragic either.

You compare that with the benign Chad Henne option under a very experienced coach who has sat on the bench for the last five years behind Mahomes with a strict "don't f*ck it up" policy the rare times he gets on the field. Yeah, yeah, he led that (one, IMO not particularly impressive) drive against the Bills, but if it was any more than that I don't think the Chiefs would even have played against the Bengals last weekend.

I like what I saw from Skyler, and he's worth sticking with for what is a bargain outlay. He will be better being the designated second string behind Tua, so there's the hope he may develop into a genuine Frank Reich type backup - and I remember him burning us enough times to think that's worth the gamble. Plus we have other more important holes in the team to spend $$$ on.

Yeah, this is a very good argument for Skylar. Get him another offseason learning the system and his receivers and he is likely the best we're going to get. Plus, can't discount his price of almost nothing. We will make some cap room, but why waste $7 Million on a backup if we don't have to?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 11:51:04 am »

^^^  Exactly...what Downunder said.

I have to agree with the consensus here...Skylar is the obvious choice to back up Tua in 2023. Dirt cheap on a late round rookie deal, plus he showed "enough" that you can still hope that, with more reps and time in-system, he could turn out to be something decent. Then, if Skylar does show he has value, and if Tua qualifies for a thicker skull-transplant and stays healthy, you have the greatest piece of tradebait possible...a young viable QB.  Wink

Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 07:57:22 pm »

Yeah, this is a very good argument for Skylar. Get him another offseason learning the system and his receivers and he is likely the best we're going to get. Plus, can't discount his price of almost nothing. We will make some cap room, but why waste $7 Million on a backup if we don't have to?

The only reason you do that is if you know he is literally the perfect fit for the team. Again the case for this is Nick Foles when he moved back to Philadelphia - the scheme being run was extremely similar to the Chip Kelly system he played under so he slotted right in. He loved the city and was very happy to be a back up to Wentz, so he wasn't a perceived threat to his startring job, even after the Superbowl win. He was an incredibly effective backup because he matched the coach and his plans, but unfortunately for the Eagles became too expensive to keep.

Probably closest the one out there for us to fit the profile would be Jimmy G, but the cost would be horrendous considering where we are at with the cap at present.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray