Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:15:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Daniel Jones to Be Franchise Tagged*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Daniel Jones to Be Franchise Tagged*  (Read 1013 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: March 05, 2023, 02:41:02 pm »

*If no extension is reached by Tuesday. However, the tag for him would be $32 Million and he just fired his old agent so he could ask for $45 Million a year. That is Patrick Mahomes money. He won't be getting that after one decent season, that's nonsense. So, the tag is all but inevitable.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 04:21:51 pm »

Daniel Jones has signed a 4 year/$160 Million contract with the Giants. No details on guaranteed money yet, so it probably has some type of structure where after 1 or 2 years the Giants can cut bait.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 05:00:53 pm »

It seems that some pretty average QBs have been getting some pretty insane paydays lately.  Better lock down Tua.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 09:45:38 pm »

It seems that some pretty average QBs have been getting some pretty insane paydays lately.  Better lock down Tua.

Yeah, now I think we have to roll the dice. I was hoping if we did it early, we could've had him for $40 Million or less. Now? Very unlikely, but you never know as he does appear to love Miami and McDaniel.

It's going to be a time game now, whoever gets the last contract will get the biggest contract. Go tell Joe Burrow he isn't worth $50 Million if Daniel Jones is worth $40 Million.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 11:28:05 pm »

I think you guys are overreacting.

The amount that a team is paying a QB only matters from a competitive advantage standpoint.  It won't really matter if MIA is paying Tua $50M/yr if Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, etc. are all making $60M+/yr.  It's all just a league-wide treadmill, and it doesn't make that much of a difference when you get on it; the sooner you get on, the sooner you'll need to re-up.

The bigger issue is not how much you are paying your QB, but rather making sure that you aren't paying a QB that isn't worth keeping at all.  Any QB worth keeping is going to be a top-5 contract in the league when you sign him, and if he isn't, it's because there are questions about whether he is worth keeping.  There's an alternate reality where KC is paying Mahomes less money because he is injury prone, and KC is not better off in that world because they have more cap space.

If Tua is able to stay healthy and play at the level he showed last season, he will be worth every penny and the Dolphins won't be concerned about how much of their cap is spent on him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:35:10 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 09:20:48 am »

^^^

It's just about the cap for me, I hope Tua gets $100 Million but for cap reasons I hope that we get a deal so we can sign or re-sign some talent. Extending now means some savings, waiting until after the year after Herbert and Burrow probably get paid means that is unlikely.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 11:41:01 am »

I think if we are honest about why Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert would be getting bigger contracts than Tua today, it's clear that any discount is because of significantly increased risk relative to those QBs.  My point is that when you have a truly elite QB, there's no point where his contract is really a problem.  (I don't remember hearing anyone complaining about the cap hit of prime Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.) So let's find out if Tua can stay on the field enough to be in that category, and then the amount of money MIA is paying him won't matter.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 11:43:11 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 12:00:34 pm »

I think if we are honest about why Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert would be getting bigger contracts than Tua today, it's clear that any discount is because of significantly increased risk relative to those QBs.  My point is that when you have a truly elite QB, there's no point where his contract is really a problem.  (I don't remember hearing anyone complaining about the cap hit of prime Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.) So let's find out if Tua can stay on the field enough to be in that category, and then the amount of money MIA is paying him won't matter.

Totally understand your point too. If Tua repeats his 2022 season in 2023 while staying healthy, he will never be leaving this team. We won't let him walk. The issue I have is that 2022 seems like the first year we got a taste of having elite level talent and I want more. We no longer shop in the bargain bin but that comes with a price. I don't want to have to let Christian Wilkins walk due to cap reasons and replace him with a vet making $2 Million. I don't want to trade Xavien Howard and replace him with a 31 year old corner in the hopes he has something left in the tank. That's where I stress cap savings wherever you can find them, even if it's just $5 Million a year. We don't have the draft picks coming up to replenish the ranks either.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 12:14:58 pm »

Doesn't MIA have all of its draft picks going forward after 2023? (edit: MIA still owes DEN a 4th in 2024 and a 5th in 2025)

Ultimately, a team that is successful in the long-term will need to continue to acquire good young players to replace the older ones who price themselves off the team.  The Dolphins will need more players like Jevon Holland, Jaelan Phillips, and Kader Kohou every year going forward.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:16:30 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 12:17:29 pm »

We don't have our 3rd or 4th in 2024 due to trades and the Brady tampering. For the time being, we have our 1st and 2nd until it's discovered that Ross offered membership in an exclusive beach club to a referee in exchange for better calls.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray