Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Derek Carr Contract Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Derek Carr Contract Issues  (Read 2696 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: February 03, 2023, 08:48:00 am »

Derek Carr has said he will not extend the Feb. 15 deadline for the $40.4 million injury guarantee clause in his contract.  He also has a no trade clause, so he is forcing the Raiders to release him. Mnay teams would love to have a QB like him. He isn't elite like Mahomes, but McDaniels also is to blame for the Raiders problems this seaosn, not Carr. I can see the Jets making a run at him if they don't want Rodgers.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 08:57:49 am »

I was going to say, there are no "contract issues". He's going to be cut. Simple as that.

There is one odd thing, though. The Raiders have denied him and his agent their wish to talk to other teams. Why would they do that? As you point out, there's a no-trade clause and NO ONE expects the Raiders to guarantee him $40 million. (And it isn't just $40 million over a long period of time, it's $32 million in 2023.)

That makes me think the Raiders expect to deal him and since they don't want him/his agent to talk to teams, they must already have the team pretty much lined up and don't want him making any waves that could disrupt the deal. BUT, there's the no-trade clause, so why aren't you including the guy who has final say over the deal in the talks? That makes no sense.

Yeah, I just don't understand the Raiders here.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 09:35:10 am »

Its possible the Raiders are considering paying him, and evaluating what options they have should they cut him.  Maybe they think its worth 40Mil to not have to go QB hunting this offseason, and until they make the decision they don't want him chatting up others.  They have another 2 weeks to decide...
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 10:00:38 am »

Its possible the Raiders are considering paying him, and evaluating what options they have should they cut him.  Maybe they think its worth 40Mil to not have to go QB hunting this offseason, and until they make the decision they don't want him chatting up others.  They have another 2 weeks to decide...

You can't pay him. You really, really cannot. Not only is that $33 million stupidly expensive for 2023, but you are guaranteeing $7.5 in 2024 - but his actual 2024 base salary is $42 million! So you're really paying him either $40 million for 2023 or $75 million for two years. That's crazy money.

Sure, he has been a borderline top-10 quarterback now and then, but he is 31 and if you're in the market for what's probably an average to good old-ish quarterback, why not just get Jimmy G? You can get him for a lot less than $75 million for 2 years.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 03:02:01 pm »

In agreement with fyo...seems like a done deal for Carr to be cut. Financially, organizationally, it just makes zero sense at all to keep him.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 03:04:24 pm »

In agreement with fyo...seems like a done deal for Carr to be cut. Financially, organizationally, it just makes zero sense at all to keep him.

They benched him last year and said he really isn't even a part of the team anymore. Once they said that, they removed all negotiating power, not that they had much to begin with considering the no trade clause. Don't know who they have in mind to replace him, probably a guy like Jimmy G. Aaron Rodgers likely wouldn't want to deal with the egos and dysfunctionality of that team.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 03:15:11 pm »

They benched him last year and said he really isn't even a part of the team anymore. Once they said that, they removed all negotiating power, not that they had much to begin with considering the no trade clause. Don't know who they have in mind to replace him, probably a guy like Jimmy G. Aaron Rodgers likely wouldn't want to deal with the egos and dysfunctionality of that team.
Interesting thing is i wonder if Rodgers would consider the Raiders simply because of the presence of Devante Adams...
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 04:02:20 pm »

Interesting thing is i wonder if Rodgers would consider the Raiders simply because of the presence of Devante Adams...

It's not the worst landing spot on paper and I was shocked when Rodgers stayed with GB last year after they traded away his only receiver, but if he hated ownership in Green Bay, I doubt he will love it in Las Vegas.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 04:07:49 pm »

There is one odd thing, though. The Raiders have denied him and his agent their wish to talk to other teams. Why would they do that? As you point out, there's a no-trade clause and NO ONE expects the Raiders to guarantee him $40 million. (And it isn't just $40 million over a long period of time, it's $32 million in 2023.)

This seems pretty odd and it didn't make sense to me because why wouldn't you want Carr's agent do the work? It's kind of funny but he isn't wearing a Raiders hat around this week doing interviews. He is wearing an NFL hat.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 04:11:06 pm »

This seems pretty odd and it didn't make sense to me because why wouldn't you want Carr's agent do the work? It's kind of funny but he isn't wearing a Raiders hat around this week doing interviews. He is wearing an NFL hat.

At the end of the day, the answer is the Raiders are very stupid and a horribly run franchise. This is the answer that would explain everything they do.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 04:17:09 pm »

At the end of the day, the answer is the Raiders are very stupid and a horribly run franchise. This is the answer that would explain everything they do.
Sure seems like it ... hahaha.  Josh must be doing wonders behind the scenes.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 07:15:17 am »

Schefter/ESPN is reporting that Carr and his agent have now gotten permission to talk to a specific list of clubs that have agreed to the Raiders' trade demands.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 09:58:25 am »

Schefter/ESPN is reporting that Carr and his agent have now gotten permission to talk to a specific list of clubs that have agreed to the Raiders' trade demands.

This was always in their best interest, telling him not to before was just childish spite. You have to imagine the compensation is a 6th rounder or so since they will have to cut him next week if he isn't traded, plus he has a no trade clause.

He could be pretty coveted in this QB starved league. He kinda gets to choose his destination too out of the available teams, no need to go to rebuilding Tampa if he doesn't want to.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 01:15:55 pm »

So, Carr has declined to waive his no-trade clause for any team and is expected to be released tomorrow.

One thing I didn't (and don't) understand about this process is the leverage. What prevents Carr from turning up at the team-arranged meeting with, say, the Saints and agreeing to terms with them on condition that they wait until he's released. He could probably get a better contract if his new team didn't have to fork over draft picks AND he'd be going to a team that still had their picks. Where's the downside for Carr in that? I get that any prospective trade partner wouldn't be guaranteed that Carr would go with them, but since he has a no-trade clause, that's already the case.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 01:20:40 pm »

The downside would be for the Saints.  You cannot have handshake agreements, by rule.
If it were to come out that the Saints had negotiated with Carr in this way, they would be penalized by the league just like Ross was.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray