Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:38:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Dolphins Mt. Rushmore - Running Backs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Miami Dolphins Mt. Rushmore - Running Backs  (Read 2171 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 15, 2023, 08:40:13 am »

This list can include Fullbacks.

Pick 4.  Discuss.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 11:41:02 am »

Zonk, Ricky, Ronnie, Mercury?

Like QB, past the first two the pickings are so slim that it's hard to choose more with confidence.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 11:54:43 am »

Zonk, Ricky, Ronnie, Mercury?

Like QB, past the first two the pickings are so slim that it's hard to choose more with confidence.

Yeah, these Rushmore lists are exposing why we haven't won a Superbowl in over 50 years. I can name more good kickers than I can good running backs for us.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 12:07:10 pm »

^ This is where I end up, as well.

Csonka, Williams are definites.

I think you go Ronnie just because he was a pick, on the team for a while....had a prominent role.

And then Morris because he was on that great team.  I don't know how great he was compared to other players, but he's synonymous with Dolphins history so that's gotta count for something.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 12:10:12 pm »

As far as Pro Bowl Dolphin RBs, I believe it's those four and Jay Ajayi.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 02:40:53 pm »

Zonk
Ricky
Morris
Ronnie

I really want to put Kiick in over Ronnie but he's probably better suited for 5th.  Pretty funny but unitl I was looking over the stats I had no idea Morris and Ricky had so many fumbles.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 02:47:30 pm »

The saddest thing about these threads:

Imagine, at the time that Fiedler, Tannehill, and Ronnie each join the team, that someone from the future tells you that they will all be on the Mount Rushmore of Dolphins at their position, and how promising that would sound at the time.  Reality is hardly so satisfying, is it?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 02:54:10 pm »

I think it just goes to show how we have never really truly put it all together.

In the early 70s, it's hard to tell how dominant we were by today's standards, because it was a different game.

But since then, we've had good teams, but all throughout the Marino years, you didn't really have a running game or defense...for like...more than a decade.

And then you had a great Defense, but a terrible offense.

And then you kinda had a serviceable group of guys with a game manager QB, but none of them ever reached that next level.

Even now, you have great players, but we can't put it all together at once.  It's fleeting.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 03:01:07 pm »

I think it just goes to show how we have never really truly put it all together.

In the early 70s, it's hard to tell how dominant we were by today's standards, because it was a different game.
I'd say we were pretty dominant. We had three appearances in a row with one loss in 72 and two consecutive Super Bowl wins in 73 &74. We then went back to the Super Bowl in 82 and 84. I'd say 5 appearances in 12 years is pretty damned good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 03:28:23 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 03:15:06 pm »

I'd say we were pretty dominant. We had two consecutive Super Bowl wins (72 &73)  and three appearances in a row by going back in 74.
Slight nitpick: you have the order wrong.  It was L W W, not W W L.

DenverFinFan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 03:16:10 pm »

Abdul.

Hah.

Seriously already been mentioned, Zonk, Ronnie, Ricky and Mercury.

Zonk is of course a legend and Ricky is one of the best football players ( college and professional ever )

Ronnie and Merc were very good.

It’s a slightly better list than our QB’s
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 03:22:11 pm »

Slight nitpick: you have the order wrong.  It was L W W, not W W L.
Yes, you are correct. Not sure why I said that.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 03:24:38 pm »

But since then, we've had good teams, but all throughout the Marino years, you didn't really have a running game or defense...for like...more than a decade.

And then you had a great Defense, but a terrible offense.

And then you kinda had a serviceable group of guys with a game manager QB, but none of them ever reached that next level.

Even now, you have great players, but we can't put it all together at once.  It's fleeting.

Good teams at the wrong time. Bad luck. Bad teams. We've had it all.

Imagine if the Buffalo Bills of the 90's didn't exist, would we have made a Superbowl? Definitely in 1992-93. They knocked us out again 2 years prior.

What if we actually prepared for Marino's retirement? Even a league average QB would've made the AFC Championship with our defense. Hell, if Tua doens't get hurt, do we make the AFC Championship or Superbowl? Franchise almost seems cursed.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 03:28:56 pm »

Good teams at the wrong time. Bad luck. Bad teams. We've had it all.

Imagine if the Buffalo Bills of the 90's didn't exist, would we have made a Superbowl? Definitely in 1992-93. They knocked us out again 2 years prior.

What if we actually prepared for Marino's retirement? Even a league average QB would've made the AFC Championship with our defense. Hell, if Tua doens't get hurt, do we make the AFC Championship or Superbowl? Franchise almost seems cursed.

I read an article I think in one of the Miami papers that joked Shula made a deal with the devil for the undefeated season and back to backs.

It’s definitely a sports curse.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 02:06:20 am »

The Sundance Kid
Ricky Williams
Ronnie Brown
Butch Cassidy

Honorable mentions to Mercury Morris, and Delvin Williams (he wasn't with us long unfortunately, but he was brilliant).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray