Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:53:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2023 Rule Changes Considered
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 2023 Rule Changes Considered  (Read 2983 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 09:33:55 am »

So the no forward handoffs makes the wildcat plays a penalty unless the "handoff" is a toss forward. then it's a pass
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 10:35:51 am »

It seems that it would pretty much kill the RPO to me.  Aren't many of those handoffs "forward"?

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 11:46:42 am »

It seems that it would pretty much kill the RPO to me.  Aren't many of those handoffs "forward"?
But if you're behind the line of scrimmage it shouldn't matter, should it?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 01:03:05 pm »

^Yeah, but if they're counting it as a pass, then that RB can't pass the ball.  I guess I'm using the wrong terminology.  It's like...part of the option or something.

It's where the RB or WR has the option to throw after getting the ball handed to them in in motion from the edge or that weird shotgun handoff thing.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 01:31:46 pm »

It seems that it would pretty much kill the RPO to me.  Aren't many of those handoffs "forward"?

I don't think that is forward. The QB turns his body for that. Think of a receiver in motion with a QB in shotgun. The motion man runs in front of the QB and takes a handful. I think that is the play in question.

I guess you can RPO there as well though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:33:27 pm by Phishfan » Logged
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 05:16:29 pm »

I don't think that is forward. The QB turns his body for that. Think of a receiver in motion with a QB in shotgun. The motion man runs in front of the QB and takes a handful. I think that is the play in question.

I guess you can RPO there as well though.
That would just be a jet sweep from the gun wouldn't it? It's still behind the LOS. I don't understand the purpose of this rule.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 10:30:04 pm »

That would just be a jet sweep from the gun wouldn't it? It's still behind the LOS. I don't understand the purpose of this rule.

I don't think you have read the rule change. LoS has nothing to do with it. The rule will be that the QB cannot hand the ball off in front of him, ever. The handoff has to be to the side or behind (taking into account if he turns around that is considered behind).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 12:09:06 am »

Is "in front/behind" determined by the direction of the LoS, or the direction the QB happens to be facing?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 07:40:43 am »

I don't think you have read the rule change. LoS has nothing to do with it. The rule will be that the QB cannot hand the ball off in front of him, ever. The handoff has to be to the side or behind (taking into account if he turns around that is considered behind).
I'm just wondering what problem it's addressing?

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2023, 08:22:35 am »

Is "in front/behind" determined by the direction of the LoS, or the direction the QB happens to be facing?

Direction of the LoS.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2023, 11:36:24 am »

I'm just wondering what problem it's addressing?
Ditto.  What problem is it solving?

The biggest complaint I heard was about PHI's QB sneaks, and this doesn't appear to apply.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2023, 02:56:03 pm »

Ditto.  What problem is it solving?

The biggest complaint I heard was about PHI's QB sneaks, and this doesn't appear to apply.
I don't have a problem with Hurts scrum type QB sneaks either.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2023, 10:24:31 am »

Some new rules approved Monday/Tuesday:

- Thursday games can now be flexed, with a bunch of caveats, and the league pinky-swears to use it as little as possible.

- Emergency quarterback can now be dressed without counting towards the 48-player gameday limit. The QB has to be on the 53-man roster and can only come in if the two non-emergency quarterbacks are out (injury, disqualification). If either is cleared to play again, the emergency quarterback has to leave the field. There are *a lot* of questions about this one that come down to the wording. The goal is obvious (allow a 3rd quarterback in extreme circumstances without allowing abuse), but without the precise wording, it's hard to tell exactly how it will work.

- Kickoff returns have pretty much been abolished with a new rule that brings all fair-caught balls behind the 25-yard line up to said 25-yard line.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2023, 11:42:08 am »

Some new rules approved Monday/Tuesday:

- Thursday games can now be flexed, with a bunch of caveats, and the league pinky-swears to use it as little as possible.

Horrible rule and I don't know why the owners allowed it. This can impact playoff races if they flex a team dealing with injuries who could've been healthy by Sunday.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2023, 04:39:51 pm »

Horrible rule and I don't know why the owners allowed it. This can impact playoff races if they flex a team dealing with injuries who could've been healthy by Sunday.

It has to be done at least 28 days in advance, so it's not like there would be any "gaming" of the system either way. This way, it's more like that part of the schedule just isn't set in stone until a month in advance. Since not all teams play the same number of TNF games anyway, I don't think it makes an overall competitive difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray