Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:59:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Poll: Most Americans see "woke" as a positive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Poll: Most Americans see "woke" as a positive  (Read 2457 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: March 08, 2023, 08:10:59 pm »

A GOP war on 'woke'? Most Americans view the term as a positive, USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds
By 56%-39%, Americans say 'woke' means being aware of social injustice, not being overly politically correct.

Republican presidential hopefuls are vowing to wage a war on "woke," but a new USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds a majority of Americans are inclined to see the word as a positive attribute, not a negative one.

Fifty-six percent of those surveyed say the term means "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices." That includes not only three-fourths of Democrats but also more than a third of Republicans.

Overall, 39% say instead that the word reflects what has become the GOP political definition, "to be overly politically correct and police others' words." That's the view of 56% of Republicans.

The findings raise questions about whether Republican campaign promises to ban policies at schools and workplaces they denounce as "woke" could boost a contender in the party's primaries but put them at odds with broader public opinion in the general election.

Independents, by 51%-45%, say "woke" means being aware of social injustice, not being overly politically correct.

“Most Americans understand that to be woke is to be tuned in to injustices around us,” said Cliff Young of Ipsos. "But for a key segment of Republicans who make up the Trump-DeSantis base, 'woke' is a clear trigger for the worst of the politically correct, emerging multicultural majority."

---

Given that screaming wokewokewokewokewoke and running against wokeness is the main policy tentpole of today's GOP, it is difficult to imagine polls like this having any effect on Republican strategy.  Nevertheless, it is encouraging to see that the imminent scourge of wokeness is a fear primarily constrained to the further right (if not necessarily the far right).

Interestingly, later in that same article we can see that 53% of those surveyed oppose "critical race theory," but 72% support teaching "the ongoing effects of slavery and racism in the United States" in public schools and 76% oppose efforts by state governments to ban certain books from school classrooms and libraries.  Those results seem to indicate that respondents support the ideas behind critical race theory, but oppose the term itself... which makes the GOP's failure to successfully demonize "wokeness" all the more stark.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:13:05 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 08:16:06 pm »

Polls also show that Biden is the most hated president in history, but he keeps pulling out miracles in elections.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that poll.  Ron DeSantis won Florida in a landslide due his anti-woke campaign.

What parts of anti-woke are too much?  Expecting that females who go into a female locker should not have to see fully intact male genitalia if they don't want to?

Come to think of it, give me an example of how being WOKE is used to fight for any sort of social justice or to combat any social injustice.  I don't think such an example exists at all.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:19:42 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
DenverFinFan
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 08:24:16 pm »

Polls also show that Biden is the most hated president in history, but he keeps pulling out miracles in elections.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that poll.  Ron DeSantis won Florida in a landslide due his anti-woke campaign.

What parts of anti-woke are too much?  Expecting that females who go into a female locker should not have to see fully intact male genitalia if they don't want to?

Bro you just get bad information because you’re deep in what Bob Wilson would call a reality tunnel.

At his most unfavorable Biden is higher than Trump. Trump is the most hated president since Nixon, who are the only two underwater as a whole. Biden is up slightly as writing this.

As to the original topic. Of course it’s mostly popular. “Woke” is just human decency, can it get a bit much sometimes? Sure but people care more about actual policy than mean spirited attacks on minorities these days. And that says a lot of good about our country. These strategies may have worked in the past but not so much.

I wish the republicans would drop the culture war Christian fundamentalist fascism and maybe I’d be open to listening to what they have to say about the economy.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 08:25:01 pm »

Bro you just get bad information because you’re see in what Bob Wilson would call a reality tunnel.

At his most unfavorable Biden is higher than Trump. Trump is the most hated president since Nixon, who are the only two underwater as a whole. Biden is up slightly as writing this.

As to the original topic. Of course it’s mostly popular. “Woke” is just human decency, can it get a bit much sometimes? Sure but people care more about actual policy than mean spirited attacks on minorities these days. And that says a lot of good about our country. These strategies may have worked in the past but not so much.

I wish the republicans would drop the culture war Christian fundamentalist fascism and maybe I’d be open to listening to what they have to say about the economy.

Like, give me an example of positive woke.

My example of negative woke is in my first post is this thread

Lia Thomas.

And many other examples

Is rioting and looting and vandalizing things "Woke"? (See: any number of riots going throughout the country)

Is targeting people who lawfully try to defend themselves "Woke"? (See: Kyle Rittenhouse)

Is targeting cops who do their jobs the way they are trained to do "Woke"? (See: the Bryant case)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:56:27 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
DenverFinFan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 08:34:43 pm »

Like, give me an example of positive woke.

My example of negative woke is in my first post is this thread

Your example is a created bogeyman and not an actual problem. It’s just a weird obsession you guys have. I don’t go to the men’s room making a point to examine people’s junk, do you?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 11:32:25 am »

Woke just means being aware of racial injustice.  Which, of course is good.  And of course I am.

The right has perverted it into something that just means things they don't like.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:08 am »

It’s just a weird obsession you guys have.
That's interesting considering he didn't create this thread trying to campaign for what most Americans see as positive? Funny how polls are gospel when it pushes the agenda. While simultaneously polls are discredited when they go against the agenda. LMFAO

The right has perverted it into something that just means things they don't like.
And at the same time, being woke just means going against things you don't like. How ironic

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 12:40:47 pm »

That's interesting considering he didn't create this thread trying to campaign for what most Americans see as positive?
I wouldn't say I was "campaigning"; I didn't commission the poll.
Given the right's current obsession with fighting wokeness, I myself was surprised at how ineffective they have been at making the public fear that term.

Funny how polls are gospel when it pushes the agenda. While simultaneously polls are discredited when they go against the agenda. LMFAO
Y'all don't even believe in polling, right?  After all, "The polls said Hillary would win." (And Obama, and Biden, but those don't count.)

I posted two back-to-back threads about polling for a reason: you get out of them what you put into them.  I think even you would agree that black Americans should not be classified as a hate group.

And at the same time, being woke just means going against things you don't like. How ironic
Great point, and a perfect segue:

pondwater, what does "woke" mean?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:10:07 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 02:14:01 pm »

I wouldn't say I was "campaigning"; I didn't commission the poll.
Given the right's current obsession with fighting wokeness, I myself was surprised at how ineffective they have been at making the public fear that term.
It's not really anything to fear. Just more silly shit in clown world to ignore. However, I have opinions that I will express and those opinions will dictate my voting preferences. I'm old enough to realize that even though the pendulum is swinging to an extreme that I don't necessarily agree with or like. I also realize that it will eventually swing back the other way to an extreme.

Y'all don't even believe in polling, right?  After all, "The polls said Hillary would win." (And Obama, and Biden, but those don't count.)
As I said, people use polls to support their position. I'm guilty of it, you're guilty of it, and most people are guilty of it. I can pull up plenty of polls that support my beliefs and opinions. So can you. And at the end of the day none of it means shit and we're in the same place we were when we started.

I posted two back-to-back threads about polling for a reason: you get out of them what you put into them.  I think even you would agree that black Americans should not be classified as a hate group.
I'm sure you will agree that every ethnicity has hate groups of some sort in this country. However, it really doesn't matter unless they are physically harming people or destroying property. I don't give two shits about what group of people says mean words. They have the right to hate whitey, hate blackie, or hate whatever the hell they want. It's not illegal to be hateful, mean, or racist. And while I don't nessisarrily condone or agree with those actions or opinions. I do however support their right to express those beliefs. That's the whole basis of this country.

If someone wants to loudly go around normalizing men prancing around as women and vice versa. Great, fabulous, and wonderful. However, I disagree with that as being normal behavior. I also disagree that men can be women and vice versa. Therefore, I should be able to state my opinions and beliefs just as loudly as the people I disagree with. But yet when people do that they are labeled hateful, when in reality it's just a difference of opinion or beliefs.

Great point, and a perfect segue:

pondwater, what does "woke" mean?
Woke to me encompasses all of the clown world shit that's going on today with race, sex, politics, etc. Hell, yesterday I was scolded by some militant feminist for using the word female instead of woman. WTF, that's the nuttiest shit I've ever heard. Women are female, LMFAO. And she wouldn't even answer the question she was asked repeatedly. She had to hyperfocus on my vernacular in attempt to redirect the conversation away from the answer she refused to provide, to some silly irrelevant "woke" nonsense. Most of the "woke" stuff is full of double standards and hypocrisy.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 03:11:48 pm »

It's not illegal to be hateful, mean, or racist. And while I don't nessisarrily condone or agree with those actions or opinions. I do however support their right to express those beliefs. That's the whole basis of this country. [...]

Therefore, I should be able to state my opinions and beliefs just as loudly as the people I disagree with. But yet when people do that they are labeled hateful, when in reality it's just a difference of opinion or beliefs.
But labeling people as hateful is also stating an opinion or belief.
It doesn't make sense to, as you put it, "support the right to express" hateful, mean, or racist beliefs you may disagree with, but then turn around and oppose people who express their disapproval of the former group.  Why don't you support (or oppose) both groups equally?

I support the legal right of people to express hateful speech, and I also support the legal right of other people to ostracize those who express hateful speech, including boycotts or similar social action to pressure corporations to stop providing megaphones for hateful speech.  It is not a violation of anyone's legal rights or freedom of speech when they get banned from YouTube or Twitter; no one is owed a megaphone.  Anyone can still mail out newsletters in the proud tradition of American cranks over the many decades predating the Internet.

Woke to me encompasses all of the clown world shit that's going on today with race, sex, politics, etc. Hell, yesterday I was scolded by some militant feminist for using the word female instead of woman. WTF, that's the nuttiest shit I've ever heard. Women are female, LMFAO. And she wouldn't even answer the question she was asked repeatedly. She had to hyperfocus on my vernacular in attempt to redirect the conversation away from the answer she refused to provide, to some silly irrelevant "woke" nonsense.
Is that the same thing as "political correctness," or different somehow?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 04:11:30 pm »

But labeling people as hateful is also stating an opinion or belief.
It doesn't make sense to, as you put it, "support the right to express" hateful, mean, or racist beliefs you may disagree with, but then turn around and oppose people who express their disapproval of the former group.  Why don't you support (or oppose) both groups equally?
You are 100% right, which means that you support anyone's right to classify black Americans as a hate group. Correct?

I support the legal right of people to express hateful speech, and I also support the legal right of other people to ostracize those who express hateful speech, including boycotts or similar social action to pressure corporations to stop providing megaphones for hateful speech.  It is not a violation of anyone's legal rights or freedom of speech when they get banned from YouTube or Twitter; no one is owed a megaphone.  Anyone can still mail out newsletters in the proud tradition of American cranks over the many decades predating the Internet.
I think SCOTUS is looking into this currently. And as I explained in another thread. Social Media companies that make revenue off their users and/or keep, store, share, or sell user data should have to identify themselves into one of two categories.

1. Content Publisher - Full freedom to edit, modify, or delete any and all content on their platform. However, the are held 100% responsible for all content published.

2. Content Host - No freedom to edit, modify, or delete content. Content host is not responsible for content. Responsibility falls on original poster.

Is that the same thing as "political correctness," or different somehow?
You need to rephrase your question, I don't understand.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 04:32:12 pm »

You are 100% right, which means that you support anyone's right to classify black Americans as a hate group. Correct?
Absolutely.  I - sincerely and genuinely! - support Scott Adams publicly stating his terrible opinions, especially when he puts them on video.  That makes it a lot easier to convince newspapers that they should not be giving him money.  Let capitalism and the marketplace of ideas do their work.

What I don't support is a system where the speech of people like Scott Adams is seen as important to protect, but the speech of people who criticize Scott Adams, and encourage others not to give Scott Adams more money... that speech is somehow interpreted as more out-of-bounds than what Scott Adams said in the first place.  That's why all this talk of free speech rings hollow; most of the people crowing the loudest about being Champions of Free Speech are continually trying to silence critics they disagree with.

You need to rephrase your question, I don't understand.
What is the difference between "wokeness" and "political correctness"?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 04:33:57 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 04:54:37 pm »

Absolutely.  I - sincerely and genuinely! - support Scott Adams publicly stating his terrible opinions, especially when he puts them on video.  That makes it a lot easier to convince newspapers that they should not be giving him money.  Let capitalism and the marketplace of ideas do their work.

What I don't support is a system where the speech of people like Scott Adams is seen as important to protect, but the speech of people who criticize Scott Adams, and encourage others not to give Scott Adams more money... that speech is somehow interpreted as more out-of-bounds than what Scott Adams said in the first place.  That's why all this talk of free speech rings hollow; most of the people crowing the loudest about being Champions of Free Speech are continually trying to silence critics they disagree with.
Ummmmm, OK

What is the difference between "wokeness" and "political correctness"?
I don't care what the difference is. It's not a debate, argument, negotiation, or opinion. Women are females. They are literally synonyms, political correctness has nothing to do with it.

DenverFinFan
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 06:06:02 pm »

They don’t give a shit about free speech they just want to say racist or homophobic things without any consequences.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 07:17:10 pm »

They don’t give a shit about free speech they just want to say racist or homophobic things without any consequences.
Who is they? I can say those things now whenever and wherever I want with absolutely 100% zero consequences. Hell, anyone can, that's precisely what free speech is. Exactly what consequences are you talking about?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray