Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:03:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Poll: Most Americans see "woke" as a positive
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Poll: Most Americans see "woke" as a positive  (Read 2448 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2023, 09:10:16 pm »

If I may ask, what did I say that was "race baiting"? Damn, you guy have become such a sensitive bunch around here

Not you, the mental patient that your talking to on here. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing his crap on here.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2023, 09:11:00 pm »

Not you, the mental patient that your talking to on here. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing his crap on here.

Use the ignore button as soon as I find it I’ll put you and Atomwaffen Pondy on it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2023, 09:17:33 pm »

He meant he reported me dude lol see you conservatives shouldn’t be allowed to have any kind of power with that level of comprehension.
To be honest, I haven't been hanging out here too often lately. So besides a few people, I don't remember who's who. Anyhow, raptor quoted me so I figured he was talking about me. It's a heavily left leaning site, so I'm used to being ganged up on.

Anyhow, I hope they don't ban or delete Denver's posts. I'm good with anyone saying anything that comes to their mind. I can 100% guarantee you, I won't lose any sleep over overly emotional grown men LMFAO
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 09:35:20 pm by pondwater » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2023, 09:19:56 pm »

freeze peach, Atomwaffen Pondy
Is this English or some new trendy catchphrases or something?  Roll Eyes

raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 09:25:23 pm »

To be honest, I haven't been hanging out here too often lately. So besides a few people, I don't remember who's who. Anyhow, raptor quoted me so I figured he was talking about me. It's a heavily left leaning site, so I'm used to being ganged up on.

Anyhow, I hope they don't ban you or delete Denver's posts. I'm good with anyone saying anything that comes to their mind. I can 100% guarantee you, I won't lose any sleep over overly emotional grown men LMFAO

working at a nursing home i deal with people with mental issues all the time, after awhile you want a break from that. people trying to race bait and threaten other people annoys me to no end.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 09:31:07 pm »

working at a nursing home i deal with people with mental issues all the time, after awhile you want a break from that. people trying to race bait and threaten other people annoys me to no end.
Yeah man, I get it. There's people with mental issues everywhere these days. The older I get the less they bother me, I just tune them out. It's all just part of living in this crazy circus world.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2023, 05:13:55 pm »

I know I'm late to the party but this whole things seems to be a hug leap. USA article says Fifty-six percent of those surveyed say the term means "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices." That includes not only three-fourths of Democrats but also more than a third of Republicans. I don't get "knowing" what woke means makes it a positive statement. I'd argue that even liberals are fighting against "wokeness" these days so I find it hard to believe they think it's positive to be "woke" all the time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2023, 06:55:41 pm »

I don't get "knowing" what woke means makes it a positive statement.
Do you agree that "woke" means "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices" and not, say, "to be overly politically correct and police others' words"?
Seems to me that if you believe that "woke" meets the former definition, you have just listed things that are positive.

I'd argue that even liberals are fighting against "wokeness" these days
I'm guessing you mean "liberals" like Tulsi Gabbard and Elon Musk.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 06:57:32 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 09:01:43 am »

Do you agree that "woke" means "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices" and not, say, "to be overly politically correct and police others' words"?
Seems to me that if you believe that "woke" meets the former definition, you have just listed things that are positive.
I'm guessing you mean "liberals" like Tulsi Gabbard and Elon Musk.
I think woke "pretends" to be educated and informed. More times than not it's people pretending to be outraged by something that isn't really an issue.

Yes those two as well as people like Bill Maher and Jon Stewart.  Left wing writers like Andrew Sullivan and Matt Taibbi have taken on Biden for his embrace of the woke culture as well as liberal mouth pieces like James Carvelle. There are also many liberal comedians who are calling out the progressive extremists.  Attacking the "woke" isn't just for the GOP any longer.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2023, 09:48:42 am »

They're not attacking woke.  They're attacking political correctness and cancel culture and calling it woke.

Woke is a boogeyman word that is used incorrectly.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2023, 12:49:50 pm »

More times than not it's people pretending to be outraged by something that isn't really an issue.
This sounds exactly like "political correctness."  What's the difference?

Left wing writers like Andrew Sullivan and Matt Taibbi
Andrew Sullivan and Matt Taibbi are no more "left wing" than Charlie Crist is a conservative.  They attack "wokeness" because their current business model is appealing to a right-wing audience.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:53:42 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2023, 02:31:29 pm »

Andrew Sullivan doesn't fit into any one political mold; I'll give you that.

But he self-identifies as a conservative.

On some social issues, namely homosexuality, he aligns with the left.
He's pretty staunchly a libertarian.  But he's not a hawkish or Trumpian conservative either and he will break from the party on any issue and support the opposition.  And he does.

But he is most certainly not a liberal.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2023, 02:36:10 pm »

They're not attacking woke.  They're attacking political correctness and cancel culture and calling it woke.

Woke is a boogeyman word that is used incorrectly.
Bill Maher - “I mean, five years ago Abraham Lincoln was not a controversial figure among liberals. We liked him. Now they take his name off schools and tear down his statues. Really, Lincoln isn't good enough for you?” he said. Five, 10 years ago, bedrock liberalism was [that] we are striving to be a color blind society where we don't see race,” continued Maher, whose Overtime segments began running Friday nights on CNN earlier this month. “Of course we see it, but it doesn't matter. That's not what woke is. Woke is something very different. It's identity. We see it all the time. It's always the most important thing. I don't think that's liberalism.”

“I remember doing that show on HBO — Comic Relief for the homeless. The idea then, again, among liberals, I thought, was for the sake of compassion: can we get these people off the streets so they have a roof over their heads?” he said. “And now it's like, ‘How dare you try to move the homeless. This is where they live.’”
Sounds to me Dave he is speaking about wokeness but then again, I see political correctness as a symptom of the disease "wokeness".

This sounds exactly like "political correctness."  What's the difference?
Andrew Sullivan and Matt Taibbi are no more "left wing" than Charlie Crist is a conservative.  They attack "wokeness" because their current business model is appealing to a right-wing audience.
You also said Bill Maher was conservative so obviously you don't mind stretching the truth. I think the problem is you are so far left you can't see the middle. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2023, 06:29:39 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you, man.  That's not wokeness.  You (or Bill Maher or whoever else) is just naming things they don't like and calling it wokeness.

I don't like homeless people either.  I don't want them hanging out in the streets where they don't live.  That pisses me off too.  It has nothing to do with wokeness, though.

Bill Maher is just wrong about this.  He's one person, using a term incorrectly to take on a culture war.  He's just a comedian using a term incorrectly.  He may be right about the underlying issue -- that we're too stringent with purity tests for liberalism.  Fair point.  But it's not wokeness.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2023, 06:33:59 pm »

The guy who typed the words "current Democrat George Bush" says that I am stretching the truth in my evaluation of political alignments.  Cheesy

Notwithstanding Dave's point that Sullivan directly labels himself a conservative, this entire "Even the liberal commenter blahblah says..." line of discussion makes no sense.  You don't even believe in that argument!  I mean, if I were to point out the statements from people who were elected to Congress as Republicans like Joe Scarborough, Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, or Mitt Romney, you would just say "Who cares, they're basically Democrats" and be done with it.  So I don't see why should anyone care if you call Bill Maher or Matt Taibbi "liberals"; you don't even recognize that as a valid point when applied to the right.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray