Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:44:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Having the right tool.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Having the right tool.  (Read 695 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:07:54 pm »

When I was a kid, my parents had a lot going on.  5 kids with a big age gap, jobs, my grandma lived at home, pets, etc.  It was a lot.

The environment was chaotic, in terms of organization.   Like, we had a hammer...probably 5 of them.  But they weren't in the tool box.  But even if they were, you couldn't check because the light bulb had blown out in the laundry room where we kept it, so you ended up using a wrench to hammer the nail and that had rusted because it had been left in the rain.

Maybe because of this, I have an organized work-space in my garage.

I kind of get off on knowing and having the right tool for the job.  It's almost like a fetish.  It doesn't even have to be tools, per se.  My mother in law needed a plant re-potted.  I immediately knew where the new pot was, where I had the soil, the tools, and I have a workspace for it.

I'm definitely not a hoarder and I don't have a tool for every job, but once in a while, I'll have exactly the right kind of screwdriver that works at an angle, for example.  But more importantly, I can tell you right now, without looking, exactly where it is.   ...ooooooooh baby!

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:29:31 pm »

There is no worse feeling than messing up a project because you didn't use the right tool.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 02:33:39 pm »

I'm not a hoarder - for example, I make a specific effort to get rid of old clothes whenever I get new clothes, because I have enough clothes - but man, the feeling I get when there's some tool or adapter that I bought and filed away years ago in anticipation of a future need, and then that exact situation pops up... it's almost like a high.  I love it.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 03:37:01 pm »

At 53 I have a lot of tools that I didn not have 10 or 20 years ago. In recent years I've spent the extra money to get the "right" tools. Like you guys, I get really excited when I can do a project and have everything I need.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 04:04:21 pm »

I like that you can rent or borrow tools from places like home dept or advanced auto for specific tasks. Like if you're replacing your own brake pads, you can get a brake caliper tool kit from advanced, or oreilly, or napa  to use in your task and you don't have to keep the tools once you're done.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray