Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:18:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Patriots Sign Gesicki
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Patriots Sign Gesicki  (Read 2360 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 07:05:31 pm »

I imagine Belichick had plenty of praise for DeVante Parker, too.  I guess we'll see if Mac Jones can do anything more with Gesicki than he did with DVP.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 01:43:38 pm »

Well Bill Belichick disagrees at least. I guess we will find out if the Patriots are better able to utilize him than the Dolphins.

"Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has described him as someone who’s hard to cover, has very good hands, and has enough quickness to separate."

And yeah I realize that Belichick likes to play up the competition, but there's always some genuine thoughts in there.

I never trust BB's assessment of another teams players.  Watch BB's pregame presser  before the second Dolphin's game in 2007.  You would be excused for thinking he was coaching a 1-13 team about to take on a 14-0 based on his assessment of his own teams flaws and the strengths of the opponent. 

BUT He does know which players he personally has the most difficulty game planning against and which players are less of a challenge.  He isn't going to trade for or sign a player that he finds easy to neutralize.  And he has a very good track record on players that he trades for or signs in FA.  He has had some draft busts but when it comes to players he has had to game plan against he is pretty good at the assessment.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 02:10:34 pm »

To make a previous comparison more explicit: in what way is 2023 Gesicki better than, say, 2020 DVP?
He's certainly healthier, but he takes more games to put up lesser stats.  And it's not like he has extra value due to being a TE, as he can't block.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 04:41:00 pm »

To make a previous comparison more explicit: in what way is 2023 Gesicki better than, say, 2020 DVP?
He's certainly healthier, but he takes more games to put up lesser stats.  And it's not like he has extra value due to being a TE, as he can't block.
I don't recall DVP being franchise tagged. Your gripe should be with McDaniels for franchise tagging the guy in the first place in 2022, not with the stats that Gesicki put up in 2022.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:43:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 05:08:04 pm »

Neither 2020 DVP nor 2023 Gesicki were franchise tagged, so that's not super relevant.

I'm not complaining about 2022 Gesicki's production.  I'm saying there isn't much reason to believe that his value in 2023 is going to be noticeably different than DVP's value in 2020.  They are ultimately players with similar flaws.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 06:57:08 pm »

Neither 2020 DVP nor 2023 Gesicki were franchise tagged, so that's not super relevant.
DVP was never franchise tagged that I'm aware of. The fact that Gesicki was I think is relevant. At least someone in the Dolphins organization thought enough of him to franchise him for a year.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray