Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:10:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Apartment/Condo Living & Problematic Neighbors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apartment/Condo Living & Problematic Neighbors  (Read 661 times)
SlothVomit

« on: March 23, 2023, 05:29:10 pm »

I currently live in a three story condo building with a neighbor above me, below me and next to me. We have a problematic neighbor next to the folks above me. They have multiple children and constantly run through the halls screaming and stomp in their condo so loudly above, that its heard in my office on the far end of my place away from them. Working from home is a huge plus for me but since they arrived, roughly 6 months ago, its been a nightmare. In the evening when trying to watch tv or just have dinner it's unbearable if they are up. I had never dealt with this before and these folks aren't welcoming. They have never even acknowledged my presence when I say hello so, I called security around Xmas. They shut up, but it has continued for months now and I have called multiple times. I realize that maybe I should have just gone up and spoken to them nicely, but clearly they have zero common courtesy so i doubt it would have mattered. I have contacted the front office and all they will do is send violation letters. Today, I called security and he refused to go over as it's "harassment" at this point. I was kind of taken back by that considering I pay over $2K a month to live here. I expect some peace and quiet for that price. I told him flat out that he is going to have a much larger issue if I go up and speak with them and he quickly changed tune. I have 5 months left here and I count the days. I'm not sure what else I can do besides go up there and have it out at this point, but I'd rather avoid the cops possibly being called for something like that. Have any of you dealt with problematic neighbors?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 08:42:35 pm »

I lived over a gay guy who would blast techno dance music in my living room from...no lie....like 10 PM to 1 AM.

It would make me so mad that I'd grit my teeth.

It happened a few times.  Then one day I ran into him on the sidewalk and he introduced himself and was really cool.  He said that he worked in the service industry and got home late and liked loud music, but if it was ever a problem, to just let him know and he'd be happy to turn it down.  He didn't know what I could hear and to just let him know.

And it was just knowing that, it pissed me off a lot less.  I would still hear the techno start, but I was like "oh, the nice dude got back from work and is going to relax it out."  And I would be totally cool with just watching TV in my bedroom instead, since he was polite about it.

Just knowing that he wasn't being inconsiderate on purpose was all I needed, so I never felt the need to stop him and it was never an issue again.  I just happily relocated on those occasions, knowing that I could ask him to stop if I needed to, but I chose to be a bro about it.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 01:23:54 am »

I was probably the bad neighbor.
FinFanCR

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 07:35:33 pm »

I currently live in a three story condo building with a neighbor above me, below me and next to me. We have a problematic neighbor next to the folks above me. They have multiple children and constantly run through the halls screaming and stomp in their condo so loudly above, that its heard in my office on the far end of my place away from them. Working from home is a huge plus for me but since they arrived, roughly 6 months ago, its been a nightmare. In the evening when trying to watch tv or just have dinner it's unbearable if they are up. I had never dealt with this before and these folks aren't welcoming. They have never even acknowledged my presence when I say hello so, I called security around Xmas. They shut up, but it has continued for months now and I have called multiple times. I realize that maybe I should have just gone up and spoken to them nicely, but clearly they have zero common courtesy so i doubt it would have mattered. I have contacted the front office and all they will do is send violation letters. Today, I called security and he refused to go over as it's "harassment" at this point. I was kind of taken back by that considering I pay over $2K a month to live here. I expect some peace and quiet for that price. I told him flat out that he is going to have a much larger issue if I go up and speak with them and he quickly changed tune. I have 5 months left here and I count the days. I'm not sure what else I can do besides go up there and have it out at this point, but I'd rather avoid the cops possibly being called for something like that. Have any of you dealt with problematic neighbors?

What they are doing is grounds for eviction.   You complaining constantly won't make a case for the front office, but you and your neighbors complaining together will.  You might want to have your neighbors go file complaints as well.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray