Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:36:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Baseball rule changes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Baseball rule changes  (Read 1337 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 31, 2023, 11:23:21 am »

I haven't watched baseball regularly since my teens, but I saw that there were some rule changed meant to speed up the game.

I looked and (though a small sample size), the game length decreased by 21 minutes since last year.

To those of you that watch baseball, did it seem to make a difference to you?  Was the pace better?

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:56:01 am »

It seems a bit better, but I don't mind it when it's the Bottom of the 8th in a tie game if the pitcher takes his time. No one who watches baseball regularly cares because a game is still a 3 hour commitment. Shortening it to 2 Hours and 40 Minutes isn't a game changer for the fans.

I think we're all waiting for some call that the batter or pitcher took too long and an automatic ball/strike was called and it ends a game. Imagine the World Series ending like that?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:03:43 pm »

Can't the same be said about a shot clock or a delay of game?  The shot clock was introduced in basketball and it was just part of the game.  Sometimes the game might end because a player don't take the shot.  ...thems the ropes.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:26:32 pm »

Can't the same be said about a shot clock or a delay of game?  The shot clock was introduced in basketball and it was just part of the game.  Sometimes the game might end because a player don't take the shot.  ...thems the ropes.

That rule made sense because before the shot clock some teams would dribble the ball out for minutes, it was terrible. Pitchers weren't routinely taking 5 minutes in between pitches. I think it will be fine and everyone will get used to it, but I know there will be hell to pay for the rules committee if a very important game is affected by a pitcher one second off in his delivery.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 02:57:18 pm »

That rule made sense because before the shot clock some teams would dribble the ball out for minutes, it was terrible. Pitchers weren't routinely taking 5 minutes in between pitches. I think it will be fine and everyone will get used to it, but I know there will be hell to pay for the rules committee if a very important game is affected by a pitcher one second off in his delivery.

Why?  Games have been effected by the basketball shot clock, games have been effected by delay of game penalties in the NFL. 

There are penalties for taking too long in golf and tennis.  Chess games have been won and lost on time. 

Baseball is the last to the table. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 04:00:49 pm »

I watch baseball daily, and yeah...I see the difference with the time limits as well as the banning the shift.

I love it...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 04:51:51 pm »

Why?  Games have been effected by the basketball shot clock, games have been effected by delay of game penalties in the NFL. 

There are penalties for taking too long in golf and tennis.  Chess games have been won and lost on time. 

Baseball is the last to the table. 

Baseball isn't a timed sport while basketball is, so a shot clock makes sense. I'm not really opposed to it, but it's apples and oranges.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 04:52:58 pm »

I watch baseball daily, and yeah...I see the difference with the time limits as well as the banning the shift.

I love it...

Hated the shift but I also hated the stubborn players never going the other way. After a few bunt doubles, the shift would've ended but it's been almost 2 decades now.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 05:55:38 pm »

Baseball isn't a timed sport while basketball is, so a shot clock makes sense. I'm not really opposed to it, but it's apples and oranges.

Tennis and golf aren't timed sports either but have rules to keep the game moving.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray