Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Old movies that are still good today.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old movies that are still good today.  (Read 905 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 24, 2023, 12:08:45 pm »

I am working on a personal list of 100 great movies.

I'm hesitant to call it "greatest" because I know it's an impossible task.  I'm trying to weigh extra heavy on movies that mattered to me, so it's going to skew heavy towards my personal interests and for how it influenced me at various times in my life.  I'm trying to shy away for "it was good for its time" and instead focus on things that have personal staying-power.

And as you know, I watch LOTS of really old movies.  Most of the time, they are unrecommendable to today's audiences.  There are so many advances in technique and technology both that these old films just don't hold up.  For an average viewer, they are too slow paced or they were famous because they pushed a social boundary that we are now well past so they lose their punch.

When watching really old films, I'm usually trying to pick up a nugget: a cool shot that had never been done before, a theme that hadn't been explored much, a leap in technology, something that spoke to the time it was made, etc.  But it's a history lesson and usually these films aren't very entertaining.

One in a while, though, I will watch a movie that I think truly is a jump from the stuff that came before.  I'm often wowed by Hitchcock.  There's something about the way that the dude crafts a story that makes me nervous.  He's really good at building tension.  He chooses what to show or not show and often puts you in the shoes of his characters.

Recently, I saw All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and I couldn't believe how much of a jump it was.  Sure, it's old.  But it's a modern movie.  It's got a story that you can follow, it's got themes that are clear, it's violent and gory, it's got good action, the shots are creative and it's just impressive all the way around.  I imagine that was just next-level film-making for 1930.  Most stuff from that era is barely watchable.

I also feel that way about Psycho and the original Planet of the Apes....maybe Bridge Over the River Kwai.  But there aren't many.

Do you have any old classics that hold up to modern filmmaking?

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 03:38:34 pm »

The  Wizard of  Oz.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 08:53:37 pm »

I thought 2001: A space Odyssey was ground breaking in a lot of ways and it still holds up today in my opinion. Some parts are a bit preachy, but overall the movie is great. I didn't understand it the first time I saw it, think I was about 8 years old, but saw it again years later and was blown away.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 09:03:29 pm »

modern times

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 10:03:35 am »

High Noon
12 Angry Men
The Cowboys (still my fave John Wayne movie)
Logan's Run (Soylent Green is people!)
The Wizard of Oz

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 10:09:18 am »

peter fonda's 12 angry men
patton with george c scott
They adapted James Clavell's Shogun into a tv movie / miniseries in 1980 that i thought was exceptionally good (7.8 on imdb)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 10:10:00 am »

Also you can't go wrong with the good the bad and the ugly, iconic for a whole bunch of scenes and in no little part for the amazing soundtrack
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 11:16:16 am »

Actually looks like shogun the TV movie got a 7.8
shogun the mini series got a 8.1
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/?ref_=tt_sims_tt_i_1

looks like the same actors .. maybe they just turned the mini series and truncated stuff for use in the movie.

edit - This two-hour feature was edited down from the original 10-hour miniseries (see separate IMDB entry).

i was right
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 12:07:51 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 04:32:56 pm »

Logan's Run (Soylent Green is people!)
That's 2 different movies. I haven't seen Soylent Green in a very long time, I can't even remember it now. Logan's Run in my opinion doesn't really hold up as a good movie today, it's pretty dated, however you made me think of 2 other movies that I think do hold up well and that's Forbidden Planet and Invasion of the body snatchers (1978). Both are creepy sci-fi movies where the special effects are not laughable.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 04:38:39 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 10:53:56 pm »

Good call on The Wizard of Oz.  That movie is also good even by today's standards.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 01:34:54 am »

E.T.
The Big Lebowski
Poltergeist
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
Jaws
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Godfather (1 and 2)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 10:19:18 am »

That's 2 different movies. I haven't seen Soylent Green in a very long time, I can't even remember it now. Logan's Run in my opinion doesn't really hold up as a good movie today, it's pretty dated, however you made me think of 2 other movies that I think do hold up well and that's Forbidden Planet and Invasion of the body snatchers (1978). Both are creepy sci-fi movies where the special effects are not laughable.

You're right....Logan's Run and Soylent Green are different movies. My bad...

I would put both on my list though. I liked them both.  Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray