Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:28:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  FSU screwed out of playoffs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: FSU screwed out of playoffs  (Read 3555 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 08:28:22 pm »

If Liberty was placed in the CFP, after they fattened up on the Sam Houstons, Old Dominions and Jacksonville States all season, their first playoff opponent (Georgia?, 'Bama?) would destroy them by a gazillion points and invalidate the entire playoff process.

Nobody here is really earnestly arguing for Liberty, though in a vacuum, I would.  The playoffs are a system of a bigger problem.  If self-scheduling and weak conferences allow you to be garbage and go unbeaten, that's the problem.  Regulate the scheduling if this is true.  Else, why are they games played?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 11:00:16 am »

^^^ Nah, they fixed it already by increasing the number of playoff teams starting next year, which is what most college fans were asking for all along.

Next year, FSU would be in, and - God help us - so would Liberty (look, a bebu!)

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 11:23:12 am »

I'd like a system where undefeated teams get in regardless.  If 12 teams lets you do that, then that's fine.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 12:55:09 pm »

[mod edit: resized picture]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 05:46:12 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 07:41:02 pm »

^^^ Nah, they fixed it already by increasing the number of playoff teams starting next year, which is what most college fans were asking for all along.

Next year, FSU would be in, and - God help us - so would Liberty (look, a bebu!)  

Just a little semi-smirking follow-up on this.  The two teams that people were considering for the CFP, 13-0 Florida State and 13-0 Liberty. Those programs played two other teams that missed the playoffs, Georgia and Oregon, and lost those two games by a combined score of 108-9.  No, that is not a misprint.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 08:15:52 pm »

I heard Georgia's coach Kirby Smart give an interview after their 63-3 whooping of FSU.  According to Smart, a big reason why the game was not competitive is that many of FSU's starters apparently saw no reason to endanger their NFL prospects for a "meaningless" (i.e. non-playoff) bowl game and chose not to play (a problem that Smart says we need to "fix").

I don't really follow college football and can't speak to the number of FSU's starters that sat out, but that's what Kirby Smart was complaining about after the game, so he seemed to think that particular score was misleading.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:17:59 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 09:24:58 pm »

Just a little semi-smirking follow-up on this.  The two teams that people were considering for the CFP, 13-0 Florida State and 13-0 Liberty. Those programs played two other teams that missed the playoffs, Georgia and Oregon, and lost those two games by a combined score of 108-9.  No, that is not a misprint.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

No caveat that FSU players gave up on the program and the team prior to the game?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 11:33:26 pm »

No caveat that FSU players gave up on the program and the team prior to the game?

Players are always missing come playoff time. As a final comment...FSU didn't deserve to be in the CFP.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray