Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 08:29:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Broncos Bench Russell Wilson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Broncos Bench Russell Wilson  (Read 1750 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 28, 2023, 03:38:25 pm »

I don't know why you'd bench your starting quarterback when you are not out of the playoff race yet.

Christmas Eve was not his fault.  He rallied them from behind.

Talk about second guessing.  If they had won that game, they'd have a realistic chance of tying KC for the division lead next week.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:44:16 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 03:44:53 pm »

It's about money.  Wilson's contract was always terrible.  They paid top QB money for a guy who needs more support than they can now afford to give him.  By not starting him the last couple of weeks, it gives them financial flexibility, as per their contract agreement.

The Broncos are ESSENTIALLY eliminated from the playoffs.  They don't control their own destiny and they need to jump 5 teams to even get into the 7th spot.  It ain't happening.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 05:16:13 am »

Sean Payton is not as good as he thinks he is, he's Bill Belichick Lite; neither very good without an all-star QB.  Payton started off throwing shade against the prior coach and started off with losses.  He's been anti-Wilson since before the season, and what he's done is deplorable.  I guarantee there are many FA's that are not going to want to go play for the Bronco's the way he has treated Wilson.  Yeah the Bronco's overpaid Wilson, but you don't fix that by disrespecting Wilson in the media.  By the way it's not the offense that is giving up all those points, and Wilson has actually been playing better.  Wilson is still guaranteed like $38M next year, so he's going to get paid.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 07:47:34 pm »

I don't like the way Payton is doing it, by saying the next guy in line gives them the best chance to win.  We all know that he thinks that's bullshit and it's disingenuous.

However, I don't fault them for sitting Wilson if he doesn't negotiate.

Wilson's contract is poison and they need to be able to get out of whatever part of it they can.  They need that flexibility.  I don't blame Wilson for refusing if he doesn't want to -- I understand his side.  But this is a business and you can't throw good money after bad.

The villain of this story isn't Peyton; it's the GM who allowed this terrible deal in the first place.  It was doomed for failure.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 10:01:43 am »

Well the NFLPA is going after the Broncos, and the NFL is looking into it, as they believe they are violating the collective bargaining agreement.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 10:20:32 am »

I'm surprised to hear why.  It seems well within their choice.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 12:02:04 am »

I'm surprised to hear why.  It seems well within their choice.

They threatened to bench him if he didn't rework his contract to remove guaranteed pay if injured, you can't do that.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 02:32:29 pm »

They threatened to bench him if he didn't rework his contract to remove guaranteed pay if injured, you can't do that.

Why not?

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 03:24:28 pm »

^^^ It violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 12:31:30 pm »

How so?

Isn't it a coach's decision on who starts on gameday?  Guys are rested all the time to prevent injury.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 02:22:10 pm »

Pretty sure it's a black-letter CBA violation to tell a player "Accept a pay cut or we will bench you."
If you want to cut him for not agreeing to reduce his pay, then fine: cut him.  But you can't bench players for not accepting a pay cut.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 04:26:58 pm »

Pretty sure it's a black-letter CBA violation to tell a player "Accept a pay cut or we will bench you."
If you want to cut him for not agreeing to reduce his pay, then fine: cut him.  But you can't bench players for not accepting a pay cut.

What rule prohibits a coach from deciding who is or isn't active or inactive?   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 01:25:14 am »

Let me draw an analogy:

It is perfectly legal to publicly expose someone cheating on their spouse.
It is illegal extortion to tell that person, "Give me money or I will publicly expose you cheating on your spouse," and then, after they refuse to pay, publicly expose them cheating on their spouse.

You cannot tell a player, "Accept a pay cut or we will bench you," and then bench them after they refuse the pay cut.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 07:50:14 am »

Let me draw an analogy:

It is illegal extortion to tell that person, "Give me money or I will publicly expose you cheating on your spouse," and then, after they refuse to pay, publicly expose them cheating on their spouse.

You cannot tell a player, "Accept a pay cut or we will bench you," and then bench them after they refuse the pay cut.
I don't think that is true for sports players in the same way no one gets arrested for punching someone else. Players get cut all the time for not reworking their contract. The only difference is it typically happens after the season.  For another reason a coach decides who plays for numerous reasons. no contract guarantees playing time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 08:58:30 am »

Let me draw an analogy:

If you are drawing analogies you are not talking black letter law.

Can your employee tell you to stay home, but we will pay you anyway? 

There is nothing in the CBA that prohibits this, if the NFLPA is as upset about this as you are they could negotiate a provision for the next CBA, but it would be a difficult provision to word in such without hampering a team’s ability to set their game day roster. 

He was paid for those games.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray