Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:02:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  In hindsight, was doing Hard Knocks perhaps a mistake?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: In hindsight, was doing Hard Knocks perhaps a mistake?  (Read 1687 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 17, 2024, 11:09:20 am »

I do think it was a distraction. I'd prefer that they didn't do it. Do I think it would have changed anything? Probably not, but why take that chance? Let someone else do it. I didn't like that they were doing this when the decided to do it and now that we know the outcome of the Dolphins season I'm questioning whether that was a good decision or not. It may not have hurt, but I certainly don't think it helps.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 11:55:11 am »

I don't think that Hard Knocks was anywhere near the factor in Miami's disappointing ending as it was just bad timing on injuries.

...but I'd still rather not see them on that show any more.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 12:31:44 pm »

I am glad they did it.  We didn't lose because we were distracted.  I learned a lot more about the team and the culture and I think it was a good look for the organization, McDaniel, free agency, etc.

We looked like a good group and I think that's a positive.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 01:18:48 pm »

According to Jevon Holland players who were against it in the beginning said it really was not very invasive as most cameras were in the corner and most people forgot about them. The only cameras following them were on the field or if they agreed to let them go with them.

I don't think it affected them very much, if at all.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 01:25:18 pm »

Hard Knocks is never a good idea and no team should ever do it unless forced to.

I'm a Dolphins fan and I wasn't even interested, even during the win streak.  I'm still not caught up.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 02:27:59 pm »

I'm a Dolphins fan and I wasn't even interested, even during the win streak.  I'm still not caught up.

Not me.  I was champing at the bit each week for the content, even when we were losing.  It was like a warm blanket.  When we were on the streak...pfft...forget about it.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 03:45:24 pm »

Is it a football team trying to win a Super Bowl, or is it a bunch of players trying to produce entertainment?

When you allow something like Hard Knocks, you make the answer to that question more ambiguous than it should be.  The answer to that question should have zero ambiguity.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 03:46:19 pm »

Professional sports are inherently an entertainment product, so I'd say that's a false dilemma.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 03:50:03 pm »

Not me.  I was champing at the bit each week for the content, even when we were losing.  It was like a warm blanket.  When we were on the streak...pfft...forget about it.
Me too as well as my DolFan friends. Wednesdays always resulted in conversations about the previous episode.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 04:32:45 pm »

Wednesdays always resulted in conversations about the previous episode.
If we don't think the players are doing a bit of the same thing themselves, I'd say we are fooling ourselves. Anything that distracts from the task at hand in my opinion is not really something that we should be doing voluntarily. I get that it's probably not really voluntary to a certain extent.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 04:57:10 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 07:07:00 am »

The OP here has his finger on the pulse of the downfall of the season -- a team that couldn't get down to business when need be because its culture revolved too much around fun and games.  A goofball head coach, rehearsed end zone celebrations, and an in-season entertainment production made this team far too circus-like and nowhere near enough businesslike.  When you encounter good teams that are about the business of winning and getting to the playoffs, you'll be ill-equipped to compete against them under those conditions.  It's simply too difficult to flex all the way from "fun and games" to "all business" on the fly, in the middle of a game against a good team that's bearing down against you.  This is why the team's late-season second-half performance was so staggeringly poor in comparison to its late-season first-half performance, and more generally the reason for the season's downfall entirely.  You're not going to beat good teams in the NFL with a culture of fun and games when their culture is far more serious and determined.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 08:22:22 am »

If we don't think the players are doing a bit of the same thing themselves, I'd say we are fooling ourselves. Anything that distracts from the task at hand in my opinion is not really something that we should be doing voluntarily. I get that it's probably not really voluntary to a certain extent.
LOL ... I know one guy who wasn't watching. Tua had no idea they showed his hurt thumb on the broadcast and was upset to find out. According to Omar he also had no idea he led the league in fan voting the last two years. He has someone who keeps him up to date on the negative narratives so he isn't surprised on the podium but no one is telling him the positive things being said. He just kind of stays in his lane.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 12:31:16 am »

While I don't think it necessarily effected us, I don't think Hard Knocks really did us any favors either.

It's an unnecessary distraction that I don't think any team in playoff contention should really have to put up with at such a crucial time in the season. 
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 09:20:53 am »

https://phinphanatic.com/posts/miami-dolphins-head-coach-mike-mcdaniel-has-one-glaring-flaw-that-he-will-not-correct-01hmry9ab59d?fbclid=IwAR2i7GsGYrkQ_-XU7x7PLP2K12GwfeGHYpt4j8mE9MnquopjvRUsFWI5034_aem_AVbaaS-kyosqOWxOqkvRxVhgvgUVlHsnhBJ9jpi5rjQ3eBQ9BvBHzZ32TEkCJq5yIYc#wjqv7q03df
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 09:34:03 am »

I love fan articles. "end sarcasm"  Just this morning a Bills friend of mine reached out to discuss the fan fiction of trading Tua to Denver, us getting Justin Fileds etc. Tua led the league in passing, has consistently gotten better each season, and yet silly fans want to act like he's Zach Wilson. He has some weaknesses but history says he will be working on them all off season and at a minimum deserves time to prove he has plateaued to a point we cannot win it all with him.  

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray