Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:39:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The Lions are doofuses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Lions are doofuses  (Read 412 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: January 28, 2024, 09:52:28 pm »

A child could have managed that clock better

Running the ball was dumb enough, but if you do, don’t call a timeout after.  Either go for it or rush the field goal team out with the clock running.  Make sure you have all three timeouts

BTW, I was not talking about the field goals.  It's equal odds of converting fourth and short to making a mid forty yard field.  It's the play calling and clock management that was the problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 06:37:37 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Denver2

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 03:22:01 pm »

Yeah it was a ridiculous collapse not quite Miami v Tennessee but I can’t help but thinking someone convinced Campbell that going for it is almost always the analytical thing to do or something but in the 3rd when you’re up up 14 after your defense allowed a FG you go back up 3 scores in the NFC Championship game.  After they failed to convert there it all started to unravel.

I like Dan Campbell but that coaching didn’t always make sense.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 04:32:47 pm »

His aggressiveness got them there. I have no issue with him coaching the same way that got him there.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 06:16:48 pm »

I am usually all for going for it, and I understand how a TD effectively ends the game.  But when you can add points on in any fashion and you're already beating their ass, I think you do it.

He just got a little too aggressive.

I drink your milkshake!
Denver2

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 06:34:48 pm »

His aggressiveness got them there. I have no issue with him coaching the same way that got him there.

Yeah I agree up to a point greatness is being able to adapt on the fly. Instincts are useful but you can always be ruled by them. If they make a FG on 4 and 3 in the 3rd it’s a three score game again, rewards your defense for holding to a FG and likely worsens their next offensive field position.

He cost them in the Dallas game controversy aside after that play didn’t work take it as a sign from god and play for OT.

I’m glad that coaches are more aggressive these days and certainly it makes sense but sometimes there’s a time to just play crisp clean possession football and score if you can cross the 40 either way and I think that’s where hou one read kicking ass in the conference title game.

I hope Campbell adjusts because I like the guy but he blew it and those kinds of losses can be tough to overcome.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 10:00:23 pm »

It seemed strange to me that Campbell wasn't willing to go for it on 4th-and-goal from the 3, up 14 points with 10 seconds left in the half (where SF has basically zero chance of scoring if the Lions fail to punch it in), but he was willing to go for it with much more to lose later in the game.  I mean, I understood that decision at the time, but then why turn it around midgame?  If you're taking points, take the points.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray