Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:19:19 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Good Guy without a gun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good Guy without a gun  (Read 450 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: February 15, 2024, 08:29:30 pm »

Shooting at the KC parade, this one was stopped by a good guy without a gun, who tackled the gunman.  

What a hero.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:03:06 am »

I really wish they could pass a law that says that you can't own a firearm if you are found guilty or plead no contest to domestic violence.  It seems doable.  That would help a lot.  Also, I think that you should be able to self-remove or that psychiatrist docs should be able to remove that ability also.  ...like a baker act for weapons.

To me, these seem like normal solutions that won't affect normal gun owners in any way, but will reduce incidents.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 09:07:47 am »

Shooting at the KC parade, this one was stopped by a good guy without a gun, who tackled the gunman.  

What a hero.
This whole thing is confusing but eventually the story will come out. From what I've seen they arrested 3 people including the guy subdued by the crowd. I saw last night they let one person go and have 2 teens in custody saying it was a fight between two "groups". I'm guessing local gangs or want-to-be gangs. I don't believe the guy the people from the crowd grabbed was a teen.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 12:50:27 pm »

"No way to prevent this" etc.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:18:06 pm »

Apparently they have been charged as juveniles meaning at 18 they will be released. Prosecutor previously claimed they'd face justice as adults. Being soft on crime is why Kansas City has one of the highest murder rates in the nation.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 01:27:16 pm »

I really wish they could pass a law that says that you can't own a firearm if you are found guilty or plead no contest to domestic violence.  It seems doable.  That would help a lot.  Also, I think that you should be able to self-remove or that psychiatrist docs should be able to remove that ability also.  ...like a baker act for weapons.

To me, these seem like normal solutions that won't affect normal gun owners in any way, but will reduce incidents.
I don't disagree but laws already do that. Federal law prohibits people from possessing guns who have been convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors or are subject to protective orders. Some states even have laws requiring  proof that they actually relinquished their firearms.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 01:36:07 pm »

Normal solution doesn't mean simple solution though. I understand addressing domestic violence but there are different degrees of what can be considered. Grabbing a person by the shoulders too tight and leaving a mark can get you a charge. I don't think that is a good indication of possible gun violence. Psychiatric records fall under HIPPA so that requires additional law changes. I also think you will find less people seeking that help if it came about.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 02:06:11 pm »

^^^ Isn't is a law that Doctors must notify authorities if they deem someone a threat to themselves or others?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 02:34:31 pm »

I don't disagree but laws already do that. Federal law prohibits people from possessing guns who have been convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors or are subject to protective orders. Some states even have laws requiring  proof that they actually relinquished their firearms.

I can't verify that this is true.

But also, the "gun show loophole" allows anyone to sell to anyone, so none of this even applies.  Whatever laws exist are toothless.

Also, are there laws that restrict the sale?  Or are you just not allowed to have it but there is no onus on the seller?  I'd like to restrict the right to sell it.

It seems that there are some simple things that we can do and we're just choosing not to do anything at all.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 02:50:09 pm »

No clue about selling to them but found this while browsing the law.

"any member of the military or any police officer who has a qualifying misdemeanor conviction is no longer able to possess a firearm, even while on duty"

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray