Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:22:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2024 Roster Moves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2024 Roster Moves  (Read 764 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: February 23, 2024, 08:05:21 pm »

The Dolphins have informed CB Xavien Howard that he will be released at the start of the league year, per Mike Garafolo.

Not surprised by this.  He's on the downside of his career and has suffered too many injuries the last couple years.  Unfortunately, he's not worth what I'm sure he would like the Dolphins to pay him, so he has to go.  He's still got a couple years left in a more minor role.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 08:50:52 pm »

The Dolphins plan to release DE Emmanuel Ogbah. Per Schefter it's a cap cut move..
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 01:03:46 pm »

Ogbah was the highest paid player on the team last year as a back-up and X was like the 4th highest paid. Both of these were expected although I could see Ogbah re-signing with us. X seems overly committed to get the most money out of his last years.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 04:45:41 pm »

X seems overly committed to get the most money out of his last years.
I know we have our perspective as fans, but X probably has 2-3 years left in his career, tops.  So from his perspective, he should either be trying to get the max money possible, or signing with a team like KC or BAL for veteran minimum-ish money.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 12:00:35 pm »

Since X doesn't know how to pull out he better sign for the money.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:44:16 am »

Sorry to see X go, but not surprised. He fought hard with injury (foot fractures at that), but the last couple of years just haven't been enough for the size of the contract, especially after we signed Ramsey.

If we weren't in such a salary cap bind there may have been a way to renegotiate it, but for all parties it sounds like the right move. He will get paid from the injury clauses in his contract and a fresh go at another team, and we will get cap space. If the rumors of him possibly winding up at the Texans or Rams are true, he will be okay and I wish him the best (and a chance at the championship ring he never got here).

Same goes with Emmanuel Ogbah. There are going to be a few more cap casualties ahead: I am already resigned to losing AVG, and given the choice between Hunt and Williams for the OL, I would keep Hunt and let Williams walk (and draft a replacement center, which our first pick should be able to get the best available).

We have to hope some of these other recent draftees like Cam Smith (it looks like Vic Fangio ain't on his Christmas list, or Jevon Holland's for that matter) and Channing Tindall step up, because we're gonna need it!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 09:20:34 am »

I know we have our perspective as fans, but X probably has 2-3 years left in his career, tops.  So from his perspective, he should either be trying to get the max money possible, or signing with a team like KC or BAL for veteran minimum-ish money.
I get that opinion but someone in his shoes could also elect to stay for less. The Dolphins have paid him over 85 million dollars and like you said ... he really only has a little time left. I'm not sure that making a few more million is going to change his life. at this point. Dan Marino chose to retire rather than play for the Steelers and who knows else. It's a different decision for each player and I can respect that.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 10:42:19 pm »

I get that opinion but someone in his shoes could also elect to stay for less. The Dolphins have paid him over 85 million dollars and like you said ... he really only has a little time left. I'm not sure that making a few more million is going to change his life. at this point. Dan Marino chose to retire rather than play for the Steelers and who knows else. It's a different decision for each player and I can respect that.

I don't think you can really bring Dan into the conversation - by the time he retired he had been with us for 17 years. He never had great knees to begin with, and at the end he was completely gassed both physically and mentally. He also got paid plenty every single year he was with us. While the Vikings offered a King's ransom for him to go on another year, it was always going to be unlikely.

X has played 8 years for us (admittedly in a more physical role) and in the right team may still have have a couple left as an effective contributor, and may even get a championship ring. As it looks right now, that team won't be the Dolphins. He's done plenty for us, and I don't begrudge him making a move and continuing his career.

I think what's more telling is the line of other players who have bolted out the door since X was told he was not in our future plans. Wilkins, Baker, AVG, Davis, Jones, etc. Almost all of these guys have only been in our team 4-6 years, and left at what should be approaching the prime of their careers. That stings a hell of a lot more.

Even with X leaving (and some contract restructures), the huge contracts handed out to Armstead, Chubb, Ramsey and Hill are biting us hard. Williams wants huge money to stay (he probably won't), and we haven't even started talking about the Tua situation (who up until now has given us a lot of cap relief).

Last season was a boom or bust proposition once we splashed out on Ramsey and then Chubb - that's left us zero space to move now. The rebuild is looking more and more like a failure the longer it pans out.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray