Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:49:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Free Agents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Free Agents  (Read 2587 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2024, 01:43:37 pm »

Let's not forget that Miami has been scoring high on the NFLPA survey also.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2024, 03:27:00 pm »

Can you elaborate?  I must have missed this.
LOL ... Ron Jaworski actually said that's what he said. I don't think most people ever bought into it.

“There were some players on that defense that didn’t want to work,” said Fangio’s friend and NFL veteran, Ron Jaworski, this week on Philadelphia radio station WIP. “Didn’t want to put the time in, didn’t want to put the effort in, didn’t want to make the commitment to be successful.

“Guys like to party at night, and South Beach is really a great place to party. And Vic tried to get those guys and push those guys to become harder workers and better athletes and more committed to their team. And he couldn’t get through to those guys. Those were the guys that Vic was pushing, and they’re the guys that are whining right now.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/02/dave-hyde-do-dolphins-have-a-problem-with-professionalism-as-fangio-suggests/

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2024, 11:12:56 pm »

So, Jaws was saying that Vic wanted these South Beach party guys to buy into the team more, but they wouldn't.

And then, these free agents hear that there's a party atmosphere here, so they want to come?  Am I getting that right?

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2024, 09:12:55 am »

So, Jaws was saying that Vic wanted these South Beach party guys to buy into the team more, but they wouldn't.

And then, these free agents hear that there's a party atmosphere here, so they want to come?  Am I getting that right?
I was just being tongue in cheek. I'm hoping they really want to be here because of the team, facilities, and staff itself. Most of them already live in South Florida anyway so I can't see the nightlife being the reason they want to be here.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2024, 03:50:43 pm »

I think there's way too much emphasis placed on the $15M difference between $40M being tied up at the QB position and $55M.  If you look at GB with Rodgers, NO with Brees, and IND/DEN with Peyton, at no times were those teams "unable to compete" because too much cap was tied up at QB.  Now, did those teams win multiple Super Bowls?  No.  But paying an extra 6% of their cap on QB salary was not the reason why.

If your QB is playing well, it doesn't matter how much you're paying him (see: KC since Mahomes signed his record contract).  And if he's not playing well, it also doesn't matter how much you're paying him!  This fixation by many fans on whether the QB is taking 15% of the cap or 20% of the cap is really missing the point.

There is a difference between paying a top tier QB top tier money and paying a second tier QB top tier money.  If you have a top tier QB you can get away with a less talented supporting crew because the QBs talent will make up for a weaker online, or a WR that needs perfect placement.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2024, 06:27:29 pm »

There is a difference between paying a top tier QB top tier money and paying a second tier QB top tier money.  If you have a top tier QB you can get away with a less talented supporting crew because the QBs talent will make up for a weaker online, or a WR that needs perfect placement.
If you have a second-tier QB, and your OL and/or receiving corps needs to make up for a deficiency at QB, paying said QB $15M less per year is not enough savings to compensate for the talent shortfall under center.

To be clear: the difference in cap cost between a top-tier QB and a QB on a rookie deal IS very significant, and you can do a lot of work with that extra money.  When CIN made it to the SB, Burrow's average annual pay was ~$9M/year, but his new contract pushes that to $55M/year.  That's huge.  Similarly, Hurts' contract went from $1.5M/year to $51M/year.  So if you want to say that a QB needs to win on his rookie contract or he's not worth keeping, that's a defensible position to take.  You're gonna be drafting a lot of QBs under that philosophy, but at least it's an ethos.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 04:09:21 am »

So we restructured Chubb's contract to save around $11M... but it's a case of way too little, way, way too late.

The horse has already bolted, and since that latest move we brought back Cracraft, and are looking at OBJ? Hardly inspiring stuff considering what we lost.

It's official - the rebuild under Grier is an absolute failure (bordering a pisstake). You just cannot recover from the departure of so many 1st to 3rd round picks spent over 5-6 years - especially with aging mercenaries on 1-2 year contracts.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2024, 07:50:54 pm »

So we restructured Chubb's contract to save around $11M... but it's a case of way too little, way, way too late.

The horse has already bolted, and since that latest move we brought back Cracraft, and are looking at OBJ? Hardly inspiring stuff considering what we lost.

It's official - the rebuild under Grier is an absolute failure (bordering a pisstake). You just cannot recover from the departure of so many 1st to 3rd round picks spent over 5-6 years - especially with aging mercenaries on 1-2 year contracts.

Yeah there was a few busts and we lost a lot but I think this is an overreaction.

I think we are better in the secondary with X gone and Fuller added, obviously a lot is gonna depend on how Phillips and Chubb recover from their injuries.

I think we are better on offense so if we are worse on D we just gotta score more. We’re still in contention this year.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2024, 09:02:44 am »

I was just being tongue in cheek. I'm hoping they really want to be here because of the team, facilities, and staff itself. Most of them already live in South Florida anyway so I can't see the nightlife being the reason they want to be here.

I see.  I wasn't trying to press you.  I just wanted to make sure I understood the joke, as I never heard that report about Fangio.

I think that there is a natural want to live in South Florida for all kinds of reasons.  Night life, weather, taxes, wealth, culture -- all kinds of people find this area desirable, so it's not exclusive to athletes.

I know I'd certainly rather live in Miami than Cleveland or Detroit.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2024, 10:22:12 am »

I see.  I wasn't trying to press you.  I just wanted to make sure I understood the joke, as I never heard that report about Fangio.

I think that there is a natural want to live in South Florida for all kinds of reasons.  Night life, weather, taxes, wealth, culture -- all kinds of people find this area desirable, so it's not exclusive to athletes.

I know I'd certainly rather live in Miami than Cleveland or Detroit.
Agreed but Fangio's comments are still troubling. He came here with an impressive resume and failed to deliver. According to him it's because the players didn't want to work hard and would rather party. It could be that Fangio and the players just didn't see eye to eye and this is just sour grapes as he's leaving for what he considers to be greener pastures. On the other hand if there's some truth to his words, it's very troubling and suggests that the defensive side of the ball this upcoming year is going to be in a LOT of trouble. What's even more troubling is that it seems some of those that were expecting Fangio to fix the defensive side of the ball only a year ago are now seemingly brushing his comments under the rug. I guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:26:33 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2024, 09:45:53 am »

Agreed but Fangio's comments are still troubling. He came here with an impressive resume and failed to deliver. According to him it's because the players didn't want to work hard and would rather party. It could be that Fangio and the players just didn't see eye to eye and this is just sour grapes as he's leaving for what he considers to be greener pastures. On the other hand if there's some truth to his words, it's very troubling and suggests that the defensive side of the ball this upcoming year is going to be in a LOT of trouble. What's even more troubling is that it seems some of those that were expecting Fangio to fix the defensive side of the ball only a year ago are now seemingly brushing his comments under the rug. I guess time will tell.
I've heard many local beat writers and former players like Joe Rose talk about this and they all pretty much laughed it off. Joe Rose and crew were known for partying hard. Clayton and especially Duper led the way into coming in hung over the next day on a couple hours of sleep ... and they weren't just drinking. Today these guys eat scientifically balanced meals, supplements, and get plenty of rest. The give off the illusion of the party lifestyle but outside of a few no one is living it. Besides ... what club can you party in and no one post it on social media? TMZ has made a living off outing these things.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2024, 02:27:20 pm »

Yeah there was a few busts and we lost a lot but I think this is an overreaction.

I think we are better in the secondary with X gone and Fuller added, obviously a lot is gonna depend on how Phillips and Chubb recover from their injuries.

I think we are better on offense so if we are worse on D we just gotta score more. We’re still in contention this year.

That's a very optimistic view given what we lost in the off season (not just X, a whole lot of more important beef).

Let's see how it pans out... god help me, I really do hope I am wrong on this... but I'm pretty sure I'm not. It's a painful year ahead...
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2024, 11:09:51 am »

I've heard many local beat writers and former players like Joe Rose talk about this and they all pretty much laughed it off. Joe Rose and crew were known for partying hard. Clayton and especially Duper led the way into coming in hung over the next day on a couple hours of sleep ... and they weren't just drinking. Today these guys eat scientifically balanced meals, supplements, and get plenty of rest. The give off the illusion of the party lifestyle but outside of a few no one is living it. Besides ... what club can you party in and no one post it on social media? TMZ has made a living off outing these things.
I think you are missing the point and are taking his words much too literally. I'm pretty sure that Fangio isn't with these players once they leave the building so he has no idea what they are doing in their spare time, that's not the point. The point is do you come into work ready to do your job and do you take doing your job seriously and train hard at it or do you treat practice like it's "just practice" like some people tend to do. That's the point.

Joe Rose can laugh it off all he wants, perhaps that was a bit of a problem for him as well.

Look, there's 2 sides to every story and I'm sure that Fangio has his side and the players have theirs, but it's not like Fangio hasn't been around football most of his adult life. He probably has a pretty good idea of the players who are putting in the effort necessary to get better and those that aren't. That's all I'm saying.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2024, 10:26:13 am »

I think you are missing the point and are taking his words much too literally. I'm pretty sure that Fangio isn't with these players once they leave the building so he has no idea what they are doing in their spare time, that's not the point. The point is do you come into work ready to do your job and do you take doing your job seriously and train hard at it or do you treat practice like it's "just practice" like some people tend to do. That's the point.

Joe Rose can laugh it off all he wants, perhaps that was a bit of a problem for him as well.

Look, there's 2 sides to every story and I'm sure that Fangio has his side and the players have theirs, but it's not like Fangio hasn't been around football most of his adult life. He probably has a pretty good idea of the players who are putting in the effort necessary to get better and those that aren't. That's all I'm saying.
And Bill Belichick is a cranky old man with power issues just like Fangio. You see where he is. that's why he failed as a head coach. Fangio's retirement most likely isn't far behind.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2024, 11:34:47 am »

And Bill Belichick is a cranky old man with power issues just like Fangio. You see where he is. that's why he failed as a head coach. Fangio's retirement most likely isn't far behind.

Lost his touch a little towards the end -- okay, that is fair.

Failed as a head coach???  Are you fucking kidding me? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray