Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:15:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Best Sports Drafts Steals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best Sports Drafts Steals  (Read 603 times)
Denver2

Email
« on: May 08, 2024, 05:09:39 pm »

So I was thinking what’s the best draft value ratio of any player in the major sports league?

Brady right? 7 SB’s 6th rounds. You all know how I feel about him so this is hard to type.

After that what are some good examples of someone chosen too late on their drafts?

Nikola Jokic who was drafted when a Taco Bell commercial was playing on NBATV makes a compelling case for number 2 with multiple mvps and bringing a chip to a franchise for the first time.

Marino was a steal, going last QB that draft. He carried a franchise for 17 years and is still the best to ever throw a football, titles be damned.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 06:53:36 pm »

I guess it depends on how you define a steal.  Brady's acquisition doesn't impress me.  It's not like they maneuvered cleverly to get him.  They thought he was a backup bum just like everyone else and he panned out.  And even when he panned out, it's because the other guy got hurt and he just never lost the backup job.  But it's not like they fleeced anyone or had him high on the board.

When I think of steals, I think of situations like Aaron Rodgers, where he's thought to be the #2 pick and is highly valued, but then things happen and they got him way lower AND he panned out, on top of it.  I also think of trades like the one where we got rid of Tunsil, but gained draft capital and turned it into a bunch of much better guys. 

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 06:59:42 pm »

Hard to put Marino in that category, despite being the 6th quarterback drafted, he was drafted in the first round.  And many of the QB drafted before him were pretty decent.  You can’t say the Colts missed their opportunity to have a great QB by drafting Elway same thing with Bills and Kelly.

I just can’t consider any first (or second) round pick to be a value pick no matter how good he is.

The best value player of the 1983 draft that was Karl Mecklenburg or Richard Dent.  

Zach Thomas is the Dolphins best value pick that I can think of.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 07:17:10 pm »

Hard to put Marino in that category, despite being the 6th quarterback drafted, he was drafted in the first round.  And many of the QB drafted before him were pretty decent.  You can’t say the Colts missed their opportunity to have a great QB by drafting Elway same thing with Bills and Kelly.

I just can’t consider any first (or second) round pick to be a value pick no matter how good he is.

The best value player of the 1983 draft that was Karl Mecklenburg or Richard Dent.  

Zach Thomas is the Dolphins best value pick that I can think of.

Fair, I just wonder what would have happened if Pittsburgh drafted Danny instead of us.

Good point on Thomas, I’m just not not sure the position creates such a value unless it’s a late round pick who becomes Deion Sanders or Lawrence Taylor in terms of defensive effectiveness.

He’s gotta be high on Miami’s list too
Denver2

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 07:19:52 pm »

I guess it depends on how you define a steal.  Brady's acquisition doesn't impress me.  It's not like they maneuvered cleverly to get him.  They thought he was a backup bum just like everyone else and he panned out.  And even when he panned out, it's because the other guy got hurt and he just never lost the backup job.  But it's not like they fleeced anyone or had him high on the board.

When I think of steals, I think of situations like Aaron Rodgers, where he's thought to be the #2 pick and is highly valued, but then things happen and they got him way lower AND he panned out, on top of it.  I also think of trades like the one where we got rid of Tunsil, but gained draft capital and turned it into a bunch of much better guys. 

Fair point about Brady, but someone of his position could have easily faded into practice squad obscurity. Someone at NE saw enough to have him where he was on the depth chart.

What about Russel Wilson? How would you rate him in comparison with Brady?

Good point on Rodgers.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 10:10:32 pm »

I am not discounting anyone involved in the Patriots team, development, coaching, etc. for Brady's success.  They got arguably the best player ever for a throwaway pick.  I just can't credit the guys that drafted him.

I just think it's hard to call it a steal, if a steal means what I think it should mean.  But if we're just talking about player value vs. draft position, Brady is #1 and it's not close.  There is no #2.

Yeah, Wilson is great value for a 3rd round pick, for sure.  I have my long-term beefs with guys like Wilson and I just don't like the salary limitations on a player like that, but yeah -- he's really good and he came on the cheap.

A steal would be a guy like Tim Tebow, if he were good, too.  I guess it can work the other way.  If Tebow was HOF material and everyone thought he was drafted too high, but the Broncos jumped ahead and got him because they saw something everyone else didn't, you could say that's a steal.  He would be worth many 1st round picks, but most teams thought he was a 2nd rounder and one team took the chance.

Brady is just on another level for success vs. cost.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 10:13:15 pm »

I agree with Hoodie. No first rounder should be considered a steal. Rodgers wasn't picked as a backup, he was selected as the heir apparent. I have to go with a guy before my time. He was the original Brady you could say. Bart Starr was drafted in a round that doesn't exist anymore. That is great return on investment which is what I consider a steal.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 09:12:17 am »

I have a hard time with understanding your set of criteria. And how one could apply it objectively. 

Mine is quite simple compare the player’s performance to his draft position.  Guys like Marino and Randy Moss were drafted a few PICKS later than they should have Brady and Roger Staubach were drafted a few ROUNDS late.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 09:44:53 am »

I have a hard time with understanding your set of criteria. And how one could apply it objectively. 

Mine is quite simple compare the player’s performance to his draft position.  Guys like Marino and Randy Moss were drafted a few PICKS later than they should have Brady and Roger Staubach were drafted a few ROUNDS late.

I realize that my criteria is stupid and impossible.  I'm not even trying to defend it as logic.

It's just when I think about Brady, my thought process isn't "oh what a great draft pick", it's "oh, that guy came out of nowhere".

Whereas Rodgers was a great draft pick.  He was a guy thought to be top tier talent and he got grabbed late, by like....22 picks.  Which doesn't seem like a lot, but in the first round, that's insane.  To trade from pick 22 to pick 2, you'd have to spend multiple years of first round picks.  And they just got the guy that inexplicably kept dropping.

But you're not wrong. Brady is probably the most objective answer.  They got him for nothing.  ...maybe someone like Kurt Warner, who they got for literally nothing?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2024, 10:26:14 am »

I realize that my criteria is stupid and impossible.  I'm not even trying to defend it as logic.

It's just when I think about Brady, my thought process isn't "oh what a great draft pick", it's "oh, that guy came out of nowhere".

Whereas Rodgers was a great draft pick.  He was a guy thought to be top tier talent and he got grabbed late, by like....22 picks.  Which doesn't seem like a lot, but in the first round, that's insane.  To trade from pick 22 to pick 2, you'd have to spend multiple years of first round picks.  And they just got the guy that inexplicably kept dropping.

But you're not wrong. Brady is probably the most objective answer.  They got him for nothing.  ...maybe someone like Kurt Warner, who they got for literally nothing?

I think Brady was a better steal because of the how much he accomplished part of the formula, but having Kurt Warner in the conversation makes sense.  Much more than Rodgers or Marino. As for trade steals the top 2 might be both NEP Randy Moss trades.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2024, 01:02:46 pm »

Kurt Warner doesn't even belong in a conversation of draft steals. He wasn't drafted.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2024, 01:22:57 pm »

Staubach and Starr are both good examples, I’ve been watching a lot of really old games from the 60s onward it’s been a lot of fun.

Well I think everyone agrees in some sense that it’s Brady

I’ll out Jokic on #2, 3x MVP and 1x champ with hall of fame stats already and a case to be made that he is the best Center after Shaq even though they have totally different games.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2024, 02:07:09 pm »

Do you guys think Purdy has already made a case? Winning as many games as he has in 2 years and losing a Super Bowl I mean it’s impressive considering his last man draft status, but it remains to be seen if he’s more than a game manager.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 02:45:22 pm »

Kurt Warner doesn't even belong in a conversation of draft steals. He wasn't drafted.

The best draft pick is the one you don't have to spend.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2024, 03:11:09 pm »

The best draft pick is the one you don't have to spend.

Brady was the best draft value.  An argument can be made Warner was a better value as his cost was lower (free)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray