Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:05:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Re: Simms to the Dolphins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Re: Simms to the Dolphins?  (Read 4538 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: January 11, 2006, 07:33:15 pm »

First of all, Simms has the tools to be a good NFL QB.  He never really got his chance until his senior year at Texas to get something going.   Then, with all the pressure, he just collapsed.  Gruden handled him very well.  Brought him into the NFL and let him sit for a couple years behind guys like Brad Johnson and Brian Griese.  He's tall, has a strong arm, is fairly accurate, and can run.  That said, I agree with whoever stated that Gruden's asking price will be more than what the Dolphins are willing to part with.  
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:31:44 pm »

First of all, Simms has the tools to be a good NFL QB.  He never really got his chance until his senior year at Texas to get something going.   Then, with all the pressure, he just collapsed.

This is a bogus excuse.  Collapsing under the pressure is a bad thing.  ...there is plenty of pressure in the NFL.  That's not a valid reason for sucking.

Gruden handled him very well.  Brought him into the NFL and let him sit for a couple years behind guys like Brad Johnson and Brian Griese.

Let him sit?  I don't get the vibe that he was allowed to watch -- he just got beat for the job.  And the only reason that he got to play at all is due to season ending injury.

He's tall, has a strong arm, is fairly accurate, and can run.  That said, I agree with whoever stated that Gruden's asking price will be more than what the Dolphins are willing to part with.  

I wouldn't pay a turd with a peanut in it for Simms, so if Gruden's price is any more than that, then I agree with you.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

Right on Dave.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:00:39 pm »

He never really got his chance until his senior year at Texas to get something going.  

You should continue this sentence......."and when given the chance, he didn't get the job done".   I'll restate the stat I listed previously.  In games against top 10 teams, he went 0 - 4 and threw 15 interceptions.

Simms has one thing going for him - his last name.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 03:01:47 pm »

I'm with Dave (and various others). There's no way I would trade anything for Simms. I think the Dolphins are going to be mentioned with any possible free agent or available QB, because Saban said he wants to upgrade the position.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »

You should continue this sentence......."and when given the chance, he didn't get the job done".   I'll restate the stat I listed previously.  In games against top 10 teams, he went 0 - 4 and threw 15 interceptions.

Simms has one thing going for him - his last name.

OK, but what if he uses his strong play over the latter part of the season as a wave of confidence to ride into next season.... then plays totally lights out.  I've seen it happen many times with guys like him.  If I was Simms, I would sign a 1 year deal.  Then if I play well, I'm the hottest free agent on the market in 2007.  
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 03:36:20 pm »

OK, but what if he uses his strong play over the latter part of the season as a wave of confidence to ride into next season.... then plays totally lights out.  I've seen it happen many times with guys like him.  If I was Simms, I would sign a 1 year deal.  Then if I play well, I'm the hottest free agent on the market in 2007.  

Maybe I need to watch more Bucs football, but I never saw this "strong play".   From the games I watched, Simms was protected by a conservative offense that didn't ask him to do much.  Very short, high percentage passes.  When he was asked to do more, he fell short.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:14 am »

I didn't think he looked all that good with the Bucs.  ...and when Griese comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped right back in to the starting job.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray