Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:42:58 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Denver's OC Kubiak to be new Texans Coach
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Denver's OC Kubiak to be new Texans Coach  (Read 10199 times)
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« on: January 13, 2006, 01:20:24 pm »

guess he was lucky the texans just hired reeves as their "consultant"!

Report: Texans to name Kubiak coach

January 13, 2006
HOUSTON (Ticker) - It appears Gary Kubiak will get a chance to coach in his hometown.

The Houston Chronicle is reporting that the long-time offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos will be named as the coach of the Houston Texans.

The announcement will be made after the Broncos' postseason run. Denver (13-3) will host the New England Patriots Saturday night in the divisional playoffs.

The Texans fired coach Dom Capers on January 2, one day after finishing a 2-14 season with a loss at San Francisco, and own the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft.

That pick will be used on either Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush of Southern California or Texas quarterback Vince Young, who is a Houston native. If the Texans pick up their $8 million contract option on quarterback David Carr in March, then Bush will likely be the selection.

Kubiak has served the last 11 years as the Broncos' offensive coordinator under coach Mike Shanahan. This season, Denver ranked first in the AFC in rushing and fifth in offense.

Born in Houston, Kubiak starred at Texas A&M and served as a backup quarterback to John Elway in Denver from 1983-91, when Dan Reeves was the coach. The Texans hired Reeves as a consultant last month.

The sixth-winningest coach in NFL history with a record of 201-172-2, Reeves went to the Super Bowl three times with the Broncos and once with the Falcons.

Born in 2002, the Texans improved their win total each year from four to five to seven under Capers before crashing in 2005.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:24:38 pm »

imo...Because of this hiring, Vince Young just became the odds-on favorite to be selected #1 ahead of Bush.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 01:28:14 pm »

Man, I remember when Kubiak was Elway's back up.  Winder at RB, WR's Mark Jackson and Vance Johnson, Mecklenburg and the barefooted kicker Rich Karlis...
I'm old.  Smiley

Oh yeah, and the Texans will be alright, give 'em 2 years before they become competitive.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:29:52 pm by Thundergod » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 01:33:52 pm »

Didn't Denver have Michael Dean Perry at that time also?or was he still in Cleveland...hmmm

I think G.Kubiak,better take a job.For while there he either got turned down,or was turning down head coaching jobs.I think if he didn't take this job,i'm not sure he'd get another one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:34:28 pm by bsfins » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Good news for us.

I drink your milkshake!
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:45:59 pm »

Didn't Denver have Michael Dean Perry at that time also?or was he still in Cleveland...hmmm

I looked it up, he was still in Cleveland, went to Denver in '95.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 03:59:22 pm »

Man, I remember when Kubiak was Elway's back up.  Winder at RB, WR's Mark Jackson and Vance Johnson, Mecklenburg and the barefooted kicker Rich Karlis...
I'm old.  Smiley

You forgot Steve Sewell and Ricky Nattiel.  Man, that WR corps was one of the toughest to deal with.  I remember they came out firing on all cylinders of the first quarter for Super Bowl XXII, then Washington's Doug Williams caught fire and started hitting EVERYBODY!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray