Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 02:26:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Enough already
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Enough already  (Read 12880 times)
Thundergod
Uber Member

« on: January 13, 2006, 05:43:51 pm »

The Lincoln Journal-Star in Nebraska has become the latest of a small group of newspapers to stop using the term "Redskins."

"Readers of the sports pages may notice a change in the newspaper's style beginning today: We have stopped using the nickname "Redskins" to refer to the professional football team of the nation's capital," writes editor Kathleen Rutledge.

"When we're reporting on that team, we'll call it Washington.

"We also have stopped printing logos for professional and college sports teams that use Native symbols -- ones that ado pt imagery such as an arrowhead and ones that caricature Native culture. The Chief Wahoo logo of the Cleveland Indians, which we stopped using last summer, is an example of rank caricature. Instead, we'll use alternative logos that stay away from Native symbols.

"Finally, we've decided to drop the stereotypical modifier 'Fighting' when used with team nicknames such as Fighting Sioux or Fighting Illini.

"We've made this decision out of respect for Native people. Plain and simple."

Two newspapers -- The Star Tribune in Minneapolis and The Oregonian in Portland, Ore., have banned the use of all Native American-related nicknames. In 2001, the Portland Press Herald in Maine and the Salt Lake Tribune banned the word "Redskins," according to Cox News Service.

This has been a subject that has irritated me to no end EVERY SINGLE TIME I hear of it. I am absolutely sick and tired of people being too PC for everyone else's good. I know I'm in the minority here and to tell you the truth I could care less since 90% of the population are all saints.  I believe we as a people can put our energy to better use by doing more productive things to contribute to society than to think about how to not make someone feel bad. 

Let's figure, shall we, that these teams were named with no intention but to just name a team. I understand that "Redskins" is an offensive term to most people and read what it actually refers to,  but I did a little research and found this:

The name "Redskins" would later be be used for a NFL football team. The team was originally known as the Boston Braves, but changed to the Boston Redskins when they left Braves field for Fenway Park. The name "Redskins" was chosen to honor the team's coach, William "Lone Star" Weitz, whose mother was Sioux. In 1937 the team moved to Washington, D.C. and became the Washington Redskins

The point that I'm trying to make is that the intentions for the most part are not to offend, but people today have become waaaay too sensitive.  Why is it that all of a sudden this is a problem? Never heard anything about it back in the 80's and never read anything about it happening in the 70's.

What's next,  not naming teams after fierce animals because PETA deems them misunderstood,  and that the animal's intention is to survive and not be "mean".  It's happening already as teams are constantly changing their mascot names for PC reasons EG:  Syracuse,  Washington "Bullets" etc.

No one has a problem with the Yankees,  and to tell you the truth,  I'd be amused (since I'm Puerto Rican) if I ever saw a team named the New York Puerto Ricans or Boriquas.  Offended... no.

No wonder team names these days are unimaginative and lame.  

Whatever, Happy non-denominational day to you!

P.S.  sorry for the rant   Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:49:12 pm by Thundergod » Logged
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 06:33:30 pm »

"Finally, we've decided to drop the stereotypical modifier 'Fighting' when used with team nicknames such as Fighting Sioux or Fighting Illini.

I guess they will drop the "Fighting" from the Irish as well? If not, some Irish guy should sue the newspaper!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:56:44 pm »

This proves my long-standing theory:

"People, by and large, suck."  

I hate this P.C. time we live in, where people confuse being insulted with being assaulted.  They're two different things, people.  Who among us can ever expect to lead a life in which he or she will never feel insulted in some way?  Is that where we're headed?  Although I can understand the "Redskins" beef, I find it ridiculous that a team named "Seminoles", or "Fighting Sioux", is offensive.  It's a name relating to a regional group of people.  Is that so wrong?  Should the 49ers change their names because it reminds us of all the Chinese slave-like labor that occurred during the California Gold Rush?  After all, the California gold rush was not a banner time in the history of the U.S.; lawlessness, treatment of people tantamount to slavery...(Not picking on your team there, Sunstroke, this was just the first example that crept into my mind.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:08:11 pm by Vides » Logged

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:13:40 pm »

I agree JVides. Thats why I brought up Notre Dame. When Colin Quinn had his show on Comedy Central, they covered this topic once, and he jokingly stated that Fighting Irish brings to mind that all Irish people are drunks who fight.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 06:32:07 am »

Thundergod, I don't think you are in the minority.  There are too many people sitting around conference room tables these days trying to decide what's "right", what's "wrong" and what's "offensive".  Look at the Detroit Pistons Dancers' Calendar thread - same type of thing.

Would I be offended if there was suddenly a team called the Cleveland White Guys?  Probably not.  Has anyone asked anyone of native american ancestry if the Cleveland Indians is offensive to them?  This is all rediculous PC BS and Its out of hand.

And Philly, they're not Fighting OR Irish.  That term is offensive to people who hail from Ireland.  

Roll Eyes
Predatory_Fins
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:34:45 am »

Well we all know that our empire will fall sooner or later, thats the nature of history, it repeats. I believe the Politically Correct pussy society we have mutated into will eventually make us weaker, and we'll implode. I just hope it holds out until I'm dead an buried.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 07:52:26 am »

I'll play the other side of this argument (although I have no qualms with the name redskins).

Certain team names, like the Florida State Seminoles, I don't see how anyone has a problem with.  They have a native American as a mascot, but it's done with pride, and is no way a mockery of the real tribe.  ...as a matter of fact, they are cloesly involved with the tribe.

However, the term "Redskins" is a racial slur, like it or not.  It's like having a team called the "Towelheads" or "slant-eyes" or something.   ....at one point, that was probably acceptable, but now in time, it's not.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 08:45:18 am »

It's like having a team called the "Towelheads" or "slant-eyes" or something.

Awesome, I just got a new name for my fantasy football team!
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 08:49:06 am »

When I was in Dallas a few years ago, I was talking to an old indian in a Denny's, and this topic came up. He was full blooded cherokee, down to the Native American clothing, long hair, etc. I asked him if he found it offensive. He said "Nope. I love it when the Redskins beat the Cowboys."

That pretty much says it all right there. The only people who find it offensive are people who WANT to find it offensive and bitch about something to make life miserable for the rest of us.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 11:03:26 am »

No doubt...the Slant-Eyed Nimrods sounds fukkin' ferocious! Grin

I was thinking more like the Blazing Towelheads...
CdnDolfan

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 01:32:43 pm »

I think a term is racial slur if it actually enrages people into fights over it.  I lived for a while in Winnipeg Manitoba, and a guy I know got his ass kicked in for using "redskin" (not refering to the actual team) in earshot of a group of native youths.  
bsfins
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 01:36:19 pm »

Excuse me,but I'm going to open Pandoras box of worms with this....

I think this is a generational issue,I mentioned this before in a thread (I can't remember which,it was quite awhile back).I thought alot about this on my walk home from work.

As a some skater Punk about ran me off the sidewalk,and I said "excuse you",his reply of "F-you" pretty much summed up how I felt.Semi Ironic he was wearing a black T-shirt with "Got jesus?" written on it.

I feel the kids between 5-18 maybe even 20,are lacking a cause.60's 70's had vietnam,equal rights.I grew up in the 80's with say no to drugs,safe sex,Aids.The 90's the P.C movement really started rolling.Terrorism,and the war in Iraq aren't exactly causes the youth can get behind.So P.C is thier cause,they want us to be in a plain jane world,the future in the movie Demolition man.

I think political correctness has always been around,it's just too much now.I want to say (maybe people my age,or a little older are to blame) I mean I see more kids that just plain need to be spanked,not given a timeout.Kids to day are over protected little wussies.

I'm sorry for taking over the thread thundergod...I just feel it's all tied together.It's all the same zit that needs to be popped....

Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 02:06:44 pm »

How about the Detroit Fighting Jihadists?  Grin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 02:06:57 pm by Captain_Frimp » Logged

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
crazy_scar_man
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Gaylick

321832691 mkilmurry
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 04:58:14 pm »

I admit it's obsurd the way this issue is handled. But I also think that it's something that should be debated / talked about.

This country has a long history of explotation. Despite changes in modern attitude, I think it's still important we examine our past. I don't think the name Redskins isn't intentionally offense this day and age, but it does still represent a tragic part of our history.

However, changing the way you reference a team is retarded. If they want to start a debate, they should talk about the issue instead of sweeping it under the rug.

Plus, the West Palm Beach Cheap Cuban Workers would be a sweet name.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 06:16:14 pm »

I feel the kids between 5-18 maybe even 20,are lacking a cause.60's 70's had vietnam,equal rights.I grew up in the 80's with say no to drugs,safe sex,Aids.The 90's the P.C movement really started rolling.Terrorism,and the war in Iraq aren't exactly causes the youth can get behind.So P.C is thier cause,they want us to be in a plain jane world,the future in the movie Demolition man.

I think political correctness has always been around,it's just too much now.I want to say (maybe people my age,or a little older are to blame) I mean I see more kids that just plain need to be spanked,not given a timeout.Kids today are over protected little wussies.

I agree whole heartedly,  people in our age group ARE to blame,  todays parents are yesterdays kids and I'm baffled as to why this change actually happened.  These parents grew up with all they deem wrong nowadays.  HUH?!

You're right, children are way over-protected,  and it needs to stop. I believe if you deny someone growth it'll only hurt them in the end. Be a parent, not a friend.

But I can't help but think about the hypocrisy,  in a country where PC is so overwhelming, the "N" word is used so much that it's becoming the norm in today's  youth. So much so that it is already ok to say it on television,  cartoons even! So when will it NOT be ok to use THIS racial slur?  20 years?  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:17:53 pm by Thundergod » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray