Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 10:44:49 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Enough already
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Enough already  (Read 12878 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 09:19:38 pm »

When I was in Dallas a few years ago, I was talking to an old indian in a Denny's, and this topic came up. He was full blooded cherokee, down to the Native American clothing, long hair, etc. I asked him if he found it offensive. He said "Nope. I love it when the Redskins beat the Cowboys."

That pretty much says it all right there.

Yeah, you're probably right.  Some guy you met at Denny's probably does represent everyone.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 09:22:09 pm »

But I can't help but think about the hypocrisy,  in a country where PC is so overwhelming, the "N" word is used so much that it's becoming the norm in today's  youth. So much so that it is already ok to say it on television,  cartoons even! So when will it NOT be ok to use THIS racial slur?  20 years?  

I'm not saying to censor and not allow the word "Redskin" on TV.  People say it in real life, so it's acceptable for characters to use that slang...just like any other words.  I think that it's reasonable for corporations not to use racial slurs as their logos though.  

Like I said before, this is no fault of the team -- this probably was an acceptable term when it was first coined...the world was different.  But that won't fly today.  If the Redskins were an empansion team, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

I drink your milkshake!
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 09:25:34 pm »

No doubt...the Slant-Eyed Nimrods sounds fukkin' ferocious!  

YESSSSSS!!!!

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 09:31:09 pm »

This country has a long history of explotation.

This country is HARDLY alone here.  I don't know why we feel like we need to feel all the guilt.  As I've often said:  I've lived or been everywhere; I've never seen a country with people as scared to say what they mean than Americans.  The Brits, French, Spanish, Germans, Dutch were all engaged in colonialism (EXPLOITATION) long before this country was a gleam in its forefathers' eyes, yet I don't hear so much about the Brits and their raging "PC" issues.  

by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Cdogg

Ckeating982
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 09:31:33 pm »

I'm gonna be either the Delray Camel Jockeys or the Delray Doon Coons!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:33:43 pm by Cdogg » Logged
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 09:33:18 pm »

Yeah, you're probably right.  Some guy you met at Denny's probably does represent everyone

LOL!   Grin

by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 09:34:12 pm »

Oddly enough, I remember about 10-15 years ago, the Chicago Blackhawks (hockey team, for those that don't follow hockey) put out all kinds of press releases that they would refer to themselves as the Hawks now. They also had a plan to phase out the Indian head logo, and go to an actual hawk. I don't know if they refer to themselves as the Hawks or Blackhawks nowadays, but they never changed their logo.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 09:48:08 pm »

Dave, you missed my point. Intentionally probably.

My point was that the only people I hear crying about these names are the same crowd who wants to take away the last liberties that we Americans have. I havent heard any American Indian groups crying about being offended by these sports team names.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 09:54:00 pm »

Dave, you missed my point. Intentionally probably.

My point was that the only people I hear crying about these names are the same crowd who wants to take away the last liberties that we Americans have. I havent heard any American Indian groups crying about being offended by these sports team names.

Are you kidding me? There are tons of organizations of Native Americans trying to get Snyder to change his team name.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/15/AR2005071501700.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:57:23 pm by PHILLY_FIN_FAN » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 10:04:15 pm »

There is? EDIT...I read the link

But, that doesnt change my point on this. The media, and certain members of our government are behind the majority of this PC crap.

Question...The only logo that I could see someone legitimately having a problem is the Cleveland Indians. Are there Native American groups after them?

The only people I see after FSU are the BCS kooks.

What about the Chiefs? Where's the outcry over that name? While we're at it, lets change the name "Arrowhead Stadium"

Indian mascots are out of respect. No rascist sub plot at all.

The entire PC movement is turning this world into a bunch of soft mama's boy crybabies.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 10:05:32 pm by Captain_Frimp » Logged

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 10:19:37 pm »

There is? EDIT...I read the link

But, that doesnt change my point on this. The media, and certain members of our government are behind the majority of this PC crap.

Question...The only logo that I could see someone legitimately having a problem is the Cleveland Indians. Are there Native American groups after them?

The only people I see after FSU are the BCS kooks.

What about the Chiefs? Where's the outcry over that name? While we're at it, lets change the name "Arrowhead Stadium"

Indian mascots are out of respect. No rascist sub plot at all.

The entire PC movement is turning this world into a bunch of soft mama's boy crybabies.

As a matter of fact, there are groups trying to eliminate the "Chief Wahoo" logo.

http://www.chuh.org/BlackGold/81-04/controversy-over-chief-w.html

http://gbgm-umc.org/mission/news2000-2/umns083100tmsc.stm

I don't think there is as much of an issue with the names "Indians" or "Chiefs" because they are not derogatory terms! I think you made reference to the N word earlier. Redskins is very similar to that term when it comes to Native Americans.

Think of it like this- I'm Italian, and if there was a team named the "Italians", I wouldn't mind. But if there was a team called the  "dagos" or "wops",  I'd be upset as well.

"Canucks" is a slang term for Canadians, like "Yankee" is a slang term for Americans. But they are not derogatory.

Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 11:25:01 pm »

I didnt mention the N word, but I can see your point. I still think its silly.

What's next? descendants of people who were pillaged by Vikings demanding that the Minnesota Vikings change their name?

jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 11:58:39 pm »

Anyone wanna take a shot in the dark of what I think of this?

OF COURSE i think it's bullshit.  Hey man, if someone made a team called the JTEX Fat Assholes, you think I would be offended?  Hell no.  How about the Jtex wetback western europeans?  Not a chance in hell.

It's become "hip" to be offended by sheer bullshit that predates your entire family, just like it's become hip to wear your IPOD everywhere you go.  You're almost respected amongst your peers in your society and "included" in groups if you take offense to total stupidity and are a member of PETA, the NAACP, and WWF (not Wrestling, the shit-holes who fought for 20 years to steal the name from Vince McMahon).

Here are the team names in Sports that can be taken as "offensive", even in the most obsurd way possible, because some group wants to make a "name" for themselves, or make a quick buck or two:

Atlanta Braves (native americans)
Chicago White Sox (some slavery bullshit)
Kansas City Royals (some white supremacy crap)
L.A. Dodgers (accusations of draft dodging)
Miwaukee Brewers (all a bunch of drunks)
Cincinatti Reds (native american reference)
Cleveland Indians (do I have to explain this one?)
Pittsburgh Pirates (larceny and deceitfulness)
San Diego Padres (hispanic male dominance)
L.A. Angels (religious rights)
Boston Celtics (irish misrepresentation)
Portland Trail Blazers (illegal drug assumption)
New England Patriots (they'll come up with something)
Cleveland Browns (african-american propaganda)
Pittsburgh Steelers (no they don't actually STEAL moron)
Kansas City Chiefs (the natives, again)
Washington Redskins (again the freaking indians)
New Orleans Saints (yeah right...saints at madri gras)

By the way, has anyone EVER EVER EVER heard Native Americans complaining about the team names?  It's always these outside groups who do the bitching.  They don't need any defense lawyers, so shut the HELL up.

I think people use the "i'm offended" card way too much, and in situations where it's clear they are completely lost and need to pull the near Ace of spades out of their ass to save them from whatever situation they're in.  

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 12:22:51 am »

Anyone wanna take a shot in the dark of what I think of this?

OF COURSE i think it's bullshit.  Hey man, if someone made a team called the JTEX Fat Assholes, you think I would be offended?  Hell no.  How about the Jtex wetback western europeans?  Not a chance in hell.

It's become "hip" to be offended by sheer bullshit that predates your entire family, just like it's become hip to wear your IPOD everywhere you go.  You're almost respected amongst your peers in your society and "included" in groups if you take offense to total stupidity and are a member of PETA, the NAACP, and WWF (not Wrestling, the shit-holes who fought for 20 years to steal the name from Vince McMahon).

Here are the team names in Sports that can be taken as "offensive", even in the most obsurd way possible, because some group wants to make a "name" for themselves, or make a quick buck or two:

Atlanta Braves (native americans)
Chicago White Sox (some slavery bullshit)
Kansas City Royals (some white supremacy crap)
L.A. Dodgers (accusations of draft dodging)
Miwaukee Brewers (all a bunch of drunks)
Cincinatti Reds (native american reference)
Cleveland Indians (do I have to explain this one?)
Pittsburgh Pirates (larceny and deceitfulness)
San Diego Padres (hispanic male dominance)
L.A. Angels (religious rights)
Boston Celtics (irish misrepresentation)
Portland Trail Blazers (illegal drug assumption)
New England Patriots (they'll come up with something)
Cleveland Browns (african-american propaganda)
Pittsburgh Steelers (no they don't actually STEAL moron)
Kansas City Chiefs (the natives, again)
Washington Redskins (again the freaking indians)
New Orleans Saints (yeah right...saints at madri gras)

By the way, has anyone EVER EVER EVER heard Native Americans complaining about the team names?  It's always these outside groups who do the bitching.  They don't need any defense lawyers, so shut the HELL up.

I think people use the "i'm offended" card way too much, and in situations where it's clear they are completely lost and need to pull the near Ace of spades out of their ass to save them from whatever situation they're in.  

BRAVO!!!!

bsfins
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 08:00:28 am »

The one example that I had in mind through this whole argument,nobody mentioned...
the Washington Bullets,being changed to the Washington Wizards.

Straight from wikpedia....
On May 15, 1997, the Bullets officially unveiled their new name and logo. They had changed it because the name Bullets carried a violent overtone (Washington, D.C. regularly ranks at or near the top US murder cities per capita). The names Seadogs, Express, Mustangs, and Monuments were also considered but rejected. Also that year the Wizards moved to the MCI Center located at 601 F Street in Northwest Washington, DC. The MCI Center is also home to the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Washington Mystics of the WNBA.

I have to be tottaly blunt on this one...I'm amazed that some wacko religous group hasn't complained about "wizards". Magic,worshipping the the Devil. Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray