Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 10:54:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Polamalu call was a mistake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Polamalu call was a mistake  (Read 6800 times)
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:08:19 pm »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5252682

Good thing the NFL came out and said they were wrong.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:11:03 pm by Pats2006 » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 05:37:26 pm »

I was shocked when they overturned this one...I thought it was a no-brainer from any angle. Polamalu is a mutant ball-magnet out there in coverage, and he made a beautiful play...only to have an idiot ref take it away.

And in the other public apology the article referenced (SF-NYG no pass interference call 3 years ago), I felt guilty after that game when my Niners stole the win...it should have been another no-brainer. In that one though, the team screwed on the no-call (G-men) lost on the final play because of it.  :-/

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 06:11:15 pm »

"Asante Samuel was on the wrong end of one of the worst calls in playoff history. "

i'm guessing the person that wrote this article was a pats fan. The fumble back in the oak/ne game was one of the worst calls in playoff history.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 06:45:33 pm »

At least the Steelers were able to still win the game. It would suck had they ended up losing and the league then admitted this (although I doubt they would've admitted it if the Steelers lost).

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 07:15:18 pm »

Here comes a fine:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294214
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:59:49 am »

Oh yeah

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:33:14 am »

I hate it when athletes say stuff like this...except this time.  Porter hit the nail on the head.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:38:23 am »

Porter got totally in their heads. Normally this stuff gets the other teams up, but Indy was actually shook. Porter was on fire for line 45 minutes before the game talking smack to the Colts...LOL

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:50:44 am »

Had the Colts won this game do you think the NFL would've acknowledged the blown call ? Hell no....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:51:04 am by Denver_Bronco » Logged

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:04:15 am »

Had the Colts won this game do you think the NFL would've acknowledged the blown call ? Hell no....

I don't know.  I think they may have.  Or maybe they'd have invented sonething ridiculous like the "tuck rule"....

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 02:10:59 pm »

They acknowledged the blown call when it cost NYG the game in SF a few years back (the pass interference on the botched FG attempt).  So I don't see any reason to think that they wouldn't have.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:21:42 pm »

One of the SF columnists I enjoy reading (the Betting Fool) had a recommendation regarding NFL refs...

"What to do? Trash the whole operation.

The NFL has bucketloads of money culled from huge TV contracts and could easily set up a referee academy, from which full-time refs would be sent to games to do a better job. The guys who don't make the NFL cut are sent to college, worse guys sent to lower divisions and they can work their way up. Pay is by level, with NFL refs earning a fine and fancy living.

One more tweak, a committee is formed in every NFL city, culled from local football experts. They make up a "referee review crew" for every game. This same crew has been trained at the referee academy. Compensation is free food every day for two weeks, as served by the NFL cheerleaders of their choosing. Female crew members (that's right, men can't do the damn job very well) are served by any member of any practice squad in the league. I should say something about cute butts here, but I won't.

This crew can "flag" a flag. If the penalty is not reviewable, yet clearly wrong, a green flag is shot out of an air rifle from the press box, landing dramatically on the field to the wild applause or boos from the crowd.

The offending referee is then airlifted out of the stadium, sent to Division III ball, and replaced by the alternate.

No more retired middle school principals who cut their chops in the darkened stadiums of Pennsylvania on Friday nights.

This new breed of official would even be trained to be physically fit, so they don't stumble into an over-the-middle pattern and can keep up with long pass plays. Speaking of long pass plays, doesn't a 50-yard (or more) penalty seem a bit much? Let's max out at 25 on long pass interference calls.

It's all so simple. Would Paul Gag-me-and-boo go for it? Not a chance. About the same chance of the league apologizing for that awful call if the Colts had won in overtime."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CdnDolfan

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 01:07:44 pm »

Apparently not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2296578
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 05:05:26 pm »

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a player dodge the bullet like that.  
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 07:15:37 am »

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a player dodge the bullet like that.  

I agree, I thought for sure there was a big fine looming on the horizon!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray