Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 04:06:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Polamalu call was a mistake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Polamalu call was a mistake  (Read 6801 times)
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 05:45:22 pm »

Porter is the man. He was just telling it like it was. America already knew Tagilabue wanted his boy manning to advance. If that call would've cost the steelers that game, and i get the perverbial "im sorry we f***** up" the next day. Bullets would be flying in those plush offices in new york.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 12:53:31 am »

Bullets would be flying in those plush offices in new york.

You probably think you're exaggerating...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10911362/

The referee who made one of the more controversial calls in recent memory had his home vandalized in Stockton, Calif., FOXSports.com reported Wednesday.

FOXSports.com cited police reports that said someone threw a rock through Pete Morelli's living room window late Monday after Morelli and his wife had gone to bed. Police said there were no indications that the controversial call and the rock incident were related.

On Tuesday, the NFL said Morelli made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball. The league acknowledged Monday that Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu’s interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

(more in article)

Dphins4me
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 04:34:45 pm »

Porter is the man. He was just telling it like it was. America already knew Tagilabue wanted his boy manning to advance. If that call would've cost the steelers that game, and i get the perverbial "im sorry we f***** up" the next day. Bullets would be flying in those plush offices in new york.

Had the Steelers lost, then the NFL does not let it be known the call was in error.

Regardless of what they say, I still think the ref made the correct call, based on past explanations of what a catch is these days..  
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 05:43:36 am »

Regardless of what they say, I still think the ref made the correct call, based on past explanations of what a catch is these days..  

Are you kidding me? he had two hands on the ball. He had possession. he made a football move. What about it was NOT a catch?

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Dphins4me
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 06:58:14 am »

Are you kidding me? he had two hands on the ball. He had possession. he made a football move. What about it was NOT a catch?

First off you missed what I said.     "Based on past explanation of what a catch was."      

Have you forgotten the Chambers TD in NY a couple of year ago when he caught it, got his feet down, secured the ball & rolled several times before losing the ball.

Ruled Incomplete.

The explaination said that he had to complete the catch by basically stopping his momentum & being under control of his body.

I think TP pick should have been a catch, but with NFL rules & other catches I've seen called incomplete, I think the call was correct.   As for the NFL coming out & saying it was wrong.  That is just them throwing the ref under the bus for refining the rules too much..  

Now to address what you said.  What football move did TP make?  He stumbled, fell down & rolled & tried to stand up.  Since when is any of them considered a football move?    TP was never under control of his body & his body was always in motion.  So he needed to get to his feet before it being a catch.  Since he never made it to his feet with the ball, then it was not a catch.

NFL rules say that the roll is part of the catch & that the receiver must retain possession thoughout the roll.  TP never stop rolling before attempting to stand & as the ref said.   His knee was still on the ground when he lost the ball, so in the eyes of the rule he never stopped rolling before getting up.  Therefor the catch was rule incomplete.

Had TP stayed on the ground then it would have been a pick or had he gotten his knee up then it would have been a pick.

Correct call/Stupid Rule
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray