Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:15:32 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bates steps down!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bates steps down!!!!!  (Read 4012 times)
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« on: January 17, 2006, 09:35:12 am »

Bates steps down as Packers' D-coordinator  

NFL.com wire reports  

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Jan. 16, 2006) -- Jim Bates stepped down as Packers defensive coordinator after getting passed over for the head coaching job.

Bates decided to leave after several discussions with new coach Mike McCarthy.

"I was disappointed when I didn't get job but that happens in this business," Bates said. "He applied for the job just like I did and I came in second, I hope I came in second. I'm going to be fine with whatever I choose."

Bates said it would be hard to leave the Packers but accepted it was time to move on.

"When you get that opportunity to be a head coach, you have a list of people you've worked with," Bates said. "I wanted to give him the chance to pick those people with whom he had relationships. I didn't want to get in his way."

McCarthy was hired last week after general manager Ted Thompson fired Mike Sherman on Jan. 2. McCarthy hired Jeff Jagodzinski as offensive coordinator Sunday. Those two worked together when they were on the Packers staff in 1999.

"It's my job as head coach to find the best person who fits in the coaching staff," McCarthy said. "I was hopeful it would work (with Bates) but it's not there. It's not a negative -- it's two people being mature about the situation."

In his first year as Packers defensive coordinator, Bates engineered a modest turnaround after Green Bay was ranked 25th in defense in 2004. Despite injuries to key players, the Packers allowed an average of 293.1 yards a game in 2005, seventh best in the league.

Bates spent the previous five seasons in Miami, where he oversaw one of the league's top defensive units. The Dolphins struggled to a 1-8 start in 2004, and Bates took over as interim coach after Dave Wannstedt stepped down.

The Dolphins finished 3-4 and players lobbied for Bates to stay as coach before the club hired Nick Saban.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/9169293

Something tells me that he will not be out of work for too long!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:21:04 am »

I'm wondering if he doesn't have something cooking for a job with another team in the background.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 10:24:14 am »

I hope he gets his shot.  The Dolphins played well under him last year, and I was sad to see him go.  Can't say I fault the Dolphins for their choice in head coaches, though... Grin

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:38:47 am »

I'm sure the Rams and Vikings will toss their hat into the Bates sweepstakes.  Might bode well for us and help keep Linehan here for another year.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:48:13 am »

Why you guys want this Linehan numbnut there for another year is beyond me. I seem to remember you guys bashing him repeatedly during the course of the season.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:29:14 am »

Why you guys want this Linehan numbnut there for another year is beyond me. I seem to remember you guys bashing him repeatedly during the course of the season.

Well, let's see...over the last 6 weeks of the season, the offense improved by leaps and bounds, Chris Chambers figured out he was a Pro-Bowl receiver...yeah, you're right...sack the bum.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
bsfins
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:55:40 pm »

NOT good.....
From the sunsentinal.com
Jim Bates resigns as Packers defensive coordinator; may join Jets

By Ken Berger, Newsday
& Associated Press
Posted January 17 2006, 3:25 PM EST

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Jim Bates stepped down as Packers defensive coordinator Monday after getting passed over for the head coaching job.

Bates decided to leave after several discussions with new coach Mike McCarthy.

"I was disappointed when I didn't get job but that happens in this business," Bates said. "He applied for the job just like I did and I came in second, I hope I came in second. I'm going to be fine with whatever I choose."

Bates already has been linked to the Jets.

Eric Mangini, who was named Jets coach Tuesday, will begin deciding who stays and who goes. Given Mangini's defensive background, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson is unlikely to stay.

Bates, who worked with Mangini on Belichick's Cleveland staff in 1995, is a strong candidate to succeed Henderson.

Edited,to remove parts that have already been posted

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:58:06 pm by bsfins » Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:47:34 pm »

I think he's bitter because he didn't get the head coaching gig.  I don't see him going to the Jets.  If he really wants to tweak the Packers, he'd join Brad Childress on the Vikings staff.  
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray