Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:02:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Breaking News: Linehan gone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Breaking News: Linehan gone  (Read 22404 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:40:04 pm »

Look slike we need a new offensive co-ordinator. Boy, I hope they got it wrong, and he stays...

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9173717

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 05:41:16 pm »

For those who don't wanna click the link...

Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortly -- probably by Friday and no later than Monday. And expect that head coach to be Miami Dolphins' assistant Scott Linehan.

League sources confirmed that Linehan, the Dolphins' offensive coordinator, is the choice of an organization that Wednesday completed its second round of interviews by consulting with Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Linehan and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had their second interviews earlier.

Originally, the Rams were expected to hire a defensive assistant, largely because of problems the club had on that side of the ball this year (only Houston allowed more points). But the more club executives tossed around the idea the more they decided an offensive head coach might be the ticket -- largely because they believed they could straighten out the league's 30th-ranked defense by choosing a candidate from a reservoir deep with solid defensive coordinators.

That decision, of course, will belong to Linehan, but look for someone like Jim Bates, who was the Packers' defensive coordinator last year, or the New York Jets' Donnie Henderson to be among the candidates.

But there's another reason St. Louis opted for an offensive assistant. When you look at the Rams, you find their best players generally are on one side of the ball -- and, no, it's not defense. It's with an offense that former coach Mike Martz built into one of the league's most productive units before departing in the middle of this season with a heart infection.

Linehan, 42, initially was considered a long-shot candidate because he has only four years of NFL experience. But his name emerged in recent weeks as the Rams started combing the league for offensive assistants, talking to, among others, Cameron, Baltimore's Jim Fassel and Pittsburgh's Ken Whisenhunt.

Linehan is young, smart, dynamic and imaginative. The Rams were impressed with how he managed the Minnesota offense when the Vikings had Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper. Linehan enhanced his standing by winning this season with Gus Frerotte as his quarterback, though that's probably more a testament to the job done by head coach Nick Saban.

But look what the Dolphins accomplished: With Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels as their passers, they ranked in the upper half in many offensive categories and finished in the middle (16th) in scoring. Sure, they were blanked by Cleveland, but they responded by finishing with six straight wins.

Now look what happened when Linehan joined Minnesota in 2002 after 13 seasons of coaching at the college level. In his three years as an offensive assistant there, the Vikings never ranked lower than fourth in overall offense and were the league's second-ranked passing unit in 2004 when quarterback Daunte Culpepper threw 39 touchdown passes, a franchise record.

St. Louis is desperate for some of that production. The Rams believe they have the necessary talent in players like running back Steven Jackson, quarterback Marc Bulger and wide receiver Torry Holt. But they also believe they lost something last year when the organization was shredded by friction between Martz and the front office.

The Rams want their high-scoring offense back. And they want to return to winning. They believe Linehan gives them the chance.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »

Mort mentioned Linehan was the front runner,and he believed that announcement would be made within 24 hours...that was at 5 pm sportcenter...
DolFan619
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:54:52 pm »

Well, this sucks.  So, with Norv out of the picture, do you promote within or do you hire someone else?
bsfins
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 06:06:49 pm »

I'm NOT CONDONING this...but how about Mike Martz...He's a Crazy offensive SOB....
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 06:10:43 pm »

I'm NOT CONDONING this...but how about Mike Martz...He's a Crazy offensive SOB....

I agree.  He might be a little out of whack in the head, but he did create the Greatest Show on Turf.  I'd love to see him bring that to Miami.  
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 06:26:14 pm »

i bet martz would thrive as an OC, beacuse his downside was stupid clock management, and , despite all his genious, the occasional bonehead decision at a pivotal moment of the game.  with an HC like Saban, he could just concentrate on fine-tuning the offense.  besides, with his heart condition, he doesnt need the stress of an HC job
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:31:53 pm »

I agree, Martz would make an interesting OC. He has some really good qualities, but just needs to have some responsibilities taken away from him. Being a head coach clearly wasn't something he was capable of at this point.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:45:31 pm »

Although it would be interesting to see Martz calling the plays for the offense, I don't think Linehan's going to the Rams.  Cam Cameron knows the Rams offense better.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 07:20:20 pm »

I'm hearing it's pretty much a done deal with Linehan...

I am shocked, mainly because I didn't think he had enough time as an assistant to get a team to offer the HC position to him. Martz would be an interesting choice to replace Scott, as long as Martz understood he was a coordinator and not the HC. I'm hoping the same for Norv in SF too...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
NYFan204

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 07:58:50 pm »

From SI.com

As more time passes, it is sounding as if Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is gaining ground on Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan in the race to become the next head coach in St. Louis.
-- NFL.com

Can we only hope?
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 08:21:10 pm »

Joe Rose on local NBC6 is reporting Linehan is all but gone.

On tonight's 11:00 news.
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 04:27:24 am »

He's gone.

No way I want Martz as OC.  He doesn't run the ball enough. I would like to get Mike Hiemerdinger if he becomes available, or Mike Mularkey if he wants a job. I don't like Mike Sherman as OC..why is everybody named Mike?  Huh
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 04:46:16 am »

I'm hearing it's pretty much a done deal with Linehan...

I am shocked, mainly because I didn't think he had enough time as an assistant to get a team to offer the HC position to him. Martz would be an interesting choice to replace Scott, as long as Martz understood he was a coordinator and not the HC. I'm hoping the same for Norv in SF too...

I'm sure Martz would understand his position because Saban would clearly reiterate that to him.  

Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:50:07 am »

Martz ? Are you kidding me ? So you want a guy that will throw the ball 40 times a game while Ricky & Ronnie get a combined 10 carries a game ?

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray