Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:36:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Mularkey to interview for OC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mularkey to interview for OC  (Read 5358 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:18:50 pm »

Mike Mularkey is set to interview on Friday for our open position. He did pretty darned good in Pittsburgh a few years back with Tommy Maddox as his QB, so maybe he'd be a good fit for Miami?
He's also set to interview with Atlanta for the QB coach position.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/0120falcons.html

Highlights from the article:

Mularkey will also interview with Miami Friday for their vacant offensive coordinator's position. The Falcons are searching for a replacement for quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson, whose contract was not renewed after three seasons.

The opportunity to return to South Florida, where he grew up, and be the offensive coordinator for Dolphins coach Nick Saban, could be hurdles the Falcons can't overcome in luring Mularkey. It is one reason why they will continue to interview candidates.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 05:20:52 pm by PHILLY_FIN_FAN » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
DolFan619
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:17:09 pm »

Damn Philly, ya beat me to it.  Anyways, I think Mularkey could be a good fit for one main reason.  That being he has an intricate knowledge of a division opponent.  He know's the Bills strengths and weaknesses on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.  That's damn good knowledge, for a division that's normally highly competitive.  Plus, he did have a good run as Pittsburgh's OC as stated earlier.

The downside is, is the fact that if you remember the home game against Buffalo (well actually, who doesn't) You'll remember that Mularkey became very conservative with the ball, which ultimately costed the Bills the game.  Hopefully, Coach Saban can offset  that conservative mindset.  Also, if Mularkey produces good offensive numbers with the Fins, he may get another shot at a head coaching job, and then we'll be back to where we are now.  That's my main worry.

Mularkey would be a good hire, but the question is, how long can we hang onto to this guy in order to have some contunuity for a young offense?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:26:58 am »

Mularkey would be a good hire, but the question is, how long can we hang onto to this guy in order to have some contunuity for a young offense?

With 35-year olds being offered head coaching gigs after only one year of coordinator experience, there's really no way to safeguard against that (other than contractually).
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:53:23 am »

With 35-year olds being offered head coaching gigs after only one year of coordinator experience, there's really no way to safeguard against that (other than contractually).

Even contractually does not totally protect your team.  Keep in mind that if an assistant coach is interested in a position that would be considered a promotion, he can be let out of his contract.  A perfect example is Linehan as a coordinator moving on to become a head coach.  
JMoney13

JMoney134u
Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 03:39:50 pm »

Mularkey would be my second choice.  How about the top offensive mind in football outside the Colts Tom Moore?  Yeah I'm talking about Mike Martz.

2005 TDMMC Fantasy Baseball Champion
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 05:44:31 pm »

Mularkey would be my second choice.  How about the top offensive mind in football outside the Colts Tom Moore?  Yeah I'm talking about Mike Martz.

I was thinking more along the lines of Al Saunders, the OC for Kansas City, but Washington already snatched him up at $2 million per year.  That's a LOT of money for an assistant coach to be making.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray