Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:49:01 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Mike Mularkey officially offered the O.C. position
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mike Mularkey officially offered the O.C. position  (Read 7045 times)
DolFan619
« on: January 21, 2006, 02:55:24 pm »

Ex-Bills coach Mularkey considering offer to join Dolphins
By STEVEN WINE
AP Sports Writer

MIAMI — Former Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey has been offered the job as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins, a person close to the discussions said Saturday.

Mularkey met with Dolphins coach Nick Saban, then flew home to Buffalo on Saturday to decide whether to accept the job, said the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team has not confirmed the offer.

Scott Linehan, Saban's offensive coordinator last season, departed Thursday to become coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Mularkey, a native of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and a former star at the University of Florida, unexpectedly resigned last week after going 5-11 in his second season with the Bills. He had three years left on his contract.

His resignation came after the Bills fired five assistant coaches and owner Ralph Wilson shook up his front office, hiring Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy as general manager.

A former NFL tight end, Mularkey spent 10 years as an NFL assistant, including three as the Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive coordinator, before becoming the Bills' head coach.

Buffalo went 14-18 and ranked 25th and 28th in offense in two seasons under Mularkey, but he helped the Steelers' offense twice rank in the top five. Pittsburgh's Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox had their best seasons at quarterback under Mularkey.

Linehan helped the Dolphins improve from 29th in total offense in 2004 to 14th last season. Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said the team had no comment on the search for a replacement.

A woman answering the phone at Mularkey's house said he was unavailable.

___

January 21, 2006 - 2:24 p.m. EST
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:10:31 pm »

I'll defer to Saban on this one.  He hasn't been wrong yet on his selection of coaches.  I'm sure he saw something we didn't, but I would've preferred Martz.
Dphins4me
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:18:54 pm »

I'll defer to Saban on this one.  He hasn't been wrong yet on his selection of coaches.  I'm sure he saw something we didn't, but I would've preferred Martz.

Of the two I'll take Mularkey.  I do not trust Martz & feel he might try to underminded Saban.  

Mularkey is a quality OC & I think he will do a fine job in Miami if he takes the job.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:31:08 pm »

Of the two I'll take Mularkey.  I do not trust Martz & feel he might try to underminded Saban.  

Mularkey is a quality OC & I think he will do a fine job in Miami if he takes the job.

Saban is the one making big bucks, he can't be undermined here in Miami. Not to mention he is loved by the fanbase and players already.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 05:41:25 pm »

I don't think we know Mularkey enough to speculate much about how good a fit he is. At least I don't. I can see what his record is, at Buffalo and Pittsburgh, and from that he certainly did better as an OC, but how he gels with the team and the coaches, that's a big unkown.

I must admit I was somewhat uncertain of Linehan after this season. He did a REALLY bad job initially, at least with the playcalling, but that got better as the season wore on (once he got out of the booth, apparently, although I'm not convinced of the causality). I would have liked to see him stick around for another year, though, if just to get some rythm and a better feel for what he was capable of.

Anyway, it just feels like Linehan got tapped because of his association with Saban and the Dolphins (and "the turn-around"), irrespective of his actual contribution. Same way Mangini earned a head coaching gig after one year as a coordinator for the Pats. Weis and Romeo I understand, since they had been coordinators for a while, but Mangini... Hopefully this scuttles the Jets for a few years. Good chance the Pats will suffer as well, seeing as they're still hemorrhaging staff - and relunctant to hire from the outside. I'm actually getting quite optimistic about our chances for the division next year ;-)
Dphins4me
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:23:09 pm »

Saban is the one making big bucks, he can't be undermined here in Miami. Not to mention he is loved by the fanbase and players already.
Never underestimate a man with an agenda.  Martz will have one.

I simply do not trust him.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 02:18:32 am »

I'm with ya there Tommy.  

And to the Mularkey defenders,  let's just hope he's a better OC than head coach,  anyone remember Miami coming back on his team because he sat on the lead?  Not to mention the "ranked 25th and 28th in offense in two seasons",  don't get me wrong, if it happens I hope he kicks ass.  But like all of you others with Martz,  I just don't trust him.
bsfins
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 08:08:14 am »

I'm not backing anyone....I'm gonna see it this way...

With Mike Mularkey,1 or 2 descent years,He'll get a second chance at a head coaching postition.He wasn't fired,he left,He's still got the option to go be a head coach next year.(possibly even this year).

My personal feels here...
I'm nervous he might be happy to keep Gus for a FEW years as a starter.What little Success buffalo had the past couple of years was because of thier Defense not thier offense.

Mike Martz,He's a F'n nutcase with a heart condition,I don't see anyone outside of Al Davis taking a shot at giving Mike Martz a head coaching job.I'd be very surprised if a team did offer him a head coaching positition.Trust him or not that's what Saban is here for.

I'm still have a feeling it's going to be someone we're all going to scratch our heads,Bugah?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:24:48 pm »

Mularkey has accepted the job.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:48:12 pm »

Mularkey has accepted the job.

Former Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey, who abruptly resigned after just two seasons on the job, is the Miami Dolphins' new offensive coordinator.

Mularkey, 44, replaces Scott Linehan, who last week was named head coach of the St. Louis Rams. Mularkey interviewed late last week with Miami coach Nick Saban and was offered the job on Saturday, then took a day to mull his options.

The Atlanta Falcons also interviewed Mularkey, a Florida native, last week for the quarterbacks coach post. It is believed the Houston Texans also had some interest in Mularkey. The Texans have not been able to officially introduce Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak as head coach because the Broncos are still in the playoffs.

Mularkey walked away from the Buffalo job with three years, at about $1 million annually, remaining on the five-year contract he signed in 2004. In his two seasons, Mularkey compiled a 14-18 record, including a disappointing 5-11 mark in 2005, when many pundits expected the Bills to contend for a playoff berth.

Linehan was earning about $800,000 per year on his contract, so Mularkey likely is in the same compensation category. The Miami offense statistically ranked No. 14 in the league in 2005.

Sources said that, while family considerations played a large role in Mularkey's decision, his views on the future of the franchise were also a significant factor. Since the end to a dismal season, the Buffalo organization has undergone a quick overhaul, and people in the NFL have questioned the Bills' direction.

Wilson fired team president/general manager Tom Donahoe, re-hired Marv Levy, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four Super Bowl appearances, and made other changes to the front office. It is believed that Wilson also suggested, but did not mandate, changes in the coaching staff. Mularkey subsequently dismissed five assistants.

Mularkey played nine seasons in the league as a tight end and was an assistant coach for 10 years, much of that as an offensive coordinator, before succeeding Gregg Williams as the Bills' head coach in 2004.
lovehate

slendertenderpl easuresender

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 11:42:56 pm »

Oh god, NOOOOOOO!!!!!  Why the fuck would anyone want his ass?  Don't you all remember them handing that game to us?!!!!  He's wanted dead or alive by Bills fans everywhere.  I wouldn't be suprised if he never gets out of Buffalo, but instead gets hog tied by disgruntled Bills fans and shocked with a lamp cord repeatedly until he tells them he's going to be a coach for their arch rivals.  Then the fans will drive his stupid worthless ass to the airport to hasten the devestation of the dolphins' O.  Dolphins fans drooling over M.M. is like Pitt fans going, "oh hell yeah, we're going to be sooo good next year cause we got Dave Whatwasthat."  What a load of Mularkey. Wink
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 11:49:10 pm »

Oh god, NOOOOOOO!!!!!  Why the fuck would anyone want his ass?  Don't you all remember them handing that game to us?!!!!  He's wanted dead or alive by Bills fans everywhere.  I wouldn't be suprised if he never gets out of Buffalo, but instead gets hog tied by disgruntled Bills fans and shocked with a lamp cord repeatedly until he tells them he's going to be a coach for their arch rivals.  Then the fans will drive his stupid worthless ass to the airport to hasten the devestation of the dolphins' O.  Dolphins fans drooling over M.M. is like Pitt fans going, "oh hell yeah, we're going to be sooo good next year cause we got Dave Whatwasthat."  What a load of Mularkey. Wink

Someone else said this in another thread, but I will say it again. Just because a guy does not make a good head coach, does not mean he was/ is a bad co-ordinator (and vice versa also). Mularkey was the offensive co-ordinator for one of the best offenses in the league, with a QB who had been out of football for 10 years. I think he'll be fine here.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray