Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:04:32 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Biggest off-season need
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: What position do you feel is the top priority to upgrade this off-season?
Quarterback   -24 (80%)
Offensive Line   -1 (3.3%)
Wide Receiver   -0 (0%)
Defensive Backs   -5 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Biggest off-season need  (Read 16538 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:34:21 pm »

Despite the fact that we finished with a 6 game win streak, we still have some major issues heading into the off-season.
All of these positions need to be addressed, but which position do you feel is the TOP priority?

1. QB- Gus played well down the stetch, but is not the long term answer. However, if Saban feels he is good enough to start for a few more years, we can adress other needs in the draft. Personally, I'd think its our top priority.

2. O-Line- Again, this unit played well this year, but Houck made lemonade out of lemons. The line was shuffled a lot during the pre-season, so I feel if Houck works with the same unit thru mini camps, they will greatly improve. If we can use money elsewhere in free agency, I don't think its the top priority.

3. WR- Some people still feel Chambers is not a legit #1, despite the numbers he put up this year. Booker has been a good #2, but there is concern over his contract. Welker has really stepped it up, and is a good #3 option. I'd like to see us upgrade this postion, but am not so sure its the top priority.

4. D-Backs- Daniels looked good for a rookie, but it doesn't look like Madison will be back, and who knows what Will Poole is capable of after several knee operations. I'd like to see Schulters re-signed, and think that Bell can be a starter. I think we need to upgrade, but again, its not our top priority.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 11:38:14 pm »

I think I've said this before, but I voted QB, even though I think that drafting a QB might not be the best bet.

We need to build our team around a QB, so keeping that in mind (whether it be the draft, free agency, or getting your eye on a guy in next year's draft, it should dictate your offseason decisions this year.

I drink your milkshake!
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:08:38 am »

How about a little discussion to go with your votes? Come on, lets make this interesting!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 10:29:15 am »

I voted Qb,with DB being the second biggest need.

My major concern is Mike Mularkey the new O-Coordinator,not with the system,or playcalling,but his influence with who we may draft QB wise.Do we really want a J.P Losman,or Kordell Stweart? Kordell,is barely hanging on in the league,and hasn't gotten a sniff as a starter since he left Pittsburgh.

J.P Losman really hasn't impressed me yet,Note: Being a Dolphins fan,I've only seen him play once? Indifferent

We bring a Mike Mularkey guy,he could be with us for 3-4 years,while Mike is the head coach in Arizona in 2007.

The WR corps,is an odd bunch (imo).I feel we need to develop some better depth,I have little faith in Bryan Gilmore.Wes Welker is an improving WR,and a very good special team guy.If he pulls a Hamstring,it could be a nightmare.I don't see Welker being anymore than a good 3rd WR,if a Starter goes down,he's not an every down guy.

The DB's,I'd like to see an Impact Safety to be the leader.Better quality depth at the corners.

I'd like to see another DL/LB hybrid guy,a possible replacement for Jason Taylor.Taylor's not getting any younger,or cheaper.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:17 am »

I went against my gut feeling and selected DB. My reasoniong is this. I do not see us getting a QB that is going to be ready to step in and be the franchise QB immediately. We can however get a DB that will step right in. Therefore you have my reasoning.
Dphins4me
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:03:37 am »

My major concern is Mike Mularkey the new O-Coordinator,not with the system,or playcalling,but his influence with who we may draft QB wise.  Do we really want a J.P Losman,or Kordell Stweart? Kordell,is barely hanging on in the league,and hasn't gotten a sniff as a starter since he left Pittsburgh.

J.P Losman really hasn't impressed me yet,Note: Being a Dolphins fan,I've only seen him play once? Indifferent

We bring a Mike Mularkey guy,he could be with us for 3-4 years,while Mike is the head coach in Arizona in 2007.
First off Kordell was not a Mularkey guy.  Kordell was drafted in '95 when Mularkey was in Tampa Bay coaching TEs.. 

Second, Mularkey joined the Steelers in '96 as their TE coach.  He had very little to do with Kordell, until when he became the OC which did not happen until 2001 when Kordell might have had his best year.

As for Losman.  He was not a Mularkey guy either since Mularkey did not do the drafting in Buffalo.  That was Tom Donohue.

And yes I'd take Losman pick.  Last year he showed promise, but as with most young QBs showed his inexperience.  Remember that he missed most of his rookie year with a broken leg so last year was he first action.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:05:25 am by Dphins4me » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:14:06 am »

I voted QB, but like Dave, I don't think that's necessarily what we should pick with our first rounder. We have a lot of needs (although I don't think WR is one of them) and should pick the best player.

I should note that I don't follow college football AT ALL, but from what little I've seen and from what people have said, Jay Cutler looks like an interesting prospect. The one problem I have with him is that I've heard some grumblings about "bad mechanics". At this point, it might be just too late to do much about that, if it's true.

Going the non-draft route, I wouldn't mind Carr. Not that I would necessarily give a whole lot in trade for him, but let's see what happens when his $8M bonus is due (yeah, I know they've said they intend to keep him, but that's just posturing - I'll believe it when I see the money). This isn't like taking a team's third string QB as we did with Feeley. Carr has experience and is a "proven" commodity. He has been severely limited by an oline that makes the worst we've had look like pro-bowlers.

If we do go the rookie way, we need to play lots of max protect schemes so we don't ruin him the way Houston has Carr. Statistically, quarterbacks that sit a season or so before starting wind up with better carreer stats that quarterbacks that don't, so it would probably be best to not start the rookie week 1, despite our experience with Marino his first year.
bsfins
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:45:21 am »

First off Kordell was not a Mularkey guy. Kordell was drafted in '95 when Mularkey was in Tampa Bay coaching TEs..

Second, Mularkey joined the Steelers in '96 as their TE coach. He had very little to do with Kordell, until when he became the OC which did not happen until 2001 when Kordell might have had his best year.

As for Losman. He was not a Mularkey guy either since Mularkey did not do the drafting in Buffalo. That was Tom Donohue.

And yes I'd take Losman pick. Last year he showed promise, but as with most young QBs showed his inexperience. Remember that he missed most of his rookie year with a broken leg so last year was he first action.

He may not have drafted them,but they are the QB's that he has worked with.It is what I have to judge him By.It's like you said,Kordell had his BEST YEAR under Mularkey.

How can you not say J.P Losman,is a Mularkey guy?

Just because he wasn't the general manager?...that's WEAK!,he was the head coach,he had a Major say in who they drafted.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:00:29 pm »

Despite the fact that we finished with a 6 game win streak, we still have some major issues heading into the off-season.
All of these positions need to be addressed, but which position do you feel is the TOP priority?

1. QB- Gus played well down the stetch, but is not the long term answer. However, if Saban feels he is good enough to start for a few more years, we can adress other needs in the draft. Personally, I'd think its our top priority.

2. O-Line- Again, this unit played well this year, but Houck made lemonade out of lemons. The line was shuffled a lot during the pre-season, so I feel if Houck works with the same unit thru mini camps, they will greatly improve. If we can use money elsewhere in free agency, I don't think its the top priority.

3. WR- Some people still feel Chambers is not a legit #1, despite the numbers he put up this year. Booker has been a good #2, but there is concern over his contract. Welker has really stepped it up, and is a good #3 option. I'd like to see us upgrade this postion, but am not so sure its the top priority.

4. D-Backs- Daniels looked good for a rookie, but it doesn't look like Madison will be back, and who knows what Will Poole is capable of after several knee operations. I'd like to see Schulters re-signed, and think that Bell can be a starter. I think we need to upgrade, but again, its not our top priority.

I'll rate these positions in order of priority (in my opinion):

1.  QB-  Gus is nothing more than a journeyman backup, and Sage is much better suited to coming off the bench.  Now that Mularkey is running the offense, he is going to want to develop his own guy.  The last six games proved that when the Dolphins get good play from their QB, they can beat anybody. 

2.  DB- Travis Daniels proved to be a capable corner but needs to work on deep coverage.  Madison and Howard will definitely be let go.  The biggest question mark is Will Poole and how he can come back from that surgically repaired knee.  Still, I see them going after a proven cover corner.  Texas CB Michael Huff would be a good first round choice if the QB they want is not available.

3. OL-  This unit performed well beyond anyone's expectations, and proved that Tony Wise (last year's OL coach) should not be coaching in this league at all.  Had problems early on with penalties but cleared that up towards the end.  Still see them needing a left tackle as well as a right guard if Hadnot shifts to center.  Damon McIntosh and Stockar McDougle might as well pack their bags.

4.  WR-  Chris Chambers performance in the last six games may have silenced some of his critics, but he will need to duplicate that over a full season of football in order to be considered elite.  Marty Booker had a fine season, and Wes Welker proved to be another Wayne Chrebet/Tim Dwight.  The biggest upgrade the Dolphins could make to this unit would be to sign disgruntled Eagles WR Terell Owens.  That would have the effect of a nuclear bomb going off in South Florida.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:02:26 pm by Tommy » Logged
Dphins4me
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:00:59 pm »

He may not have drafted them,but they are the QB's that he has worked with.It is what I have to judge him By.It's like you said,Kordell had his BEST YEAR under Mularkey.
  He worked with Maddox for more years than Kordell & yet you ignored him.  He took a QB who had not played NFL QB in over 6 years & made him a serviceable QB for a couple of years.

How can you not say J.P Losman,is a Mularkey guy?
  Because Donohue was the man in Buffalo.  He had the power to do whatever he thought was best for the team. 

Just because he wasn't the general manager?...that's WEAK!,he was the head coach,he had a Major say in who they drafted.
  Do you not understand what a GM does especially one with as much power as Donohue had?     We are not talking Rick Speilman here.  Donohue is one of the most respected GM in the NFL.

For all we know Murlakey was completely against drafting Losman or he could have been all for it.  The fact remains you cannot hang that tag on him simply because we know who was making the decisions then.

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:32 pm »

I agree that Mularkey probably had less to do with drafting Losman than one would think. Donahoe is the one who made the trade with Dallas to get their pick and draft him.

Komrade Conrad

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 01:08:13 pm »

The OL should be the top priority. This is because the Fins suffered more as a result of missed opportunities on offense, than on blown coverage in my opinion. The D may improve as Will Poole comes back. Saban may pick the LSU corner in the 1st round, and he may make a fast contribution. But QB wouldn't get much better unless the line improves.

You can't always look at the ratings, and say this QB is better than that one. Frerotte's good for our system because he can work the long ball and move around efficiently, when behind a weak line. You look at the stats of NFL offenses and the teams that allow the least sacks with few exceptions the QB is healthy and they are in playoffs while the cellar teams did allow the most sacks over the past few years. One of the reason the Bears got into the playoffs, is due to their much improved offensive line play: they allowed 31 sacks this year during the regular season compared to 66 last year!  

The QB would be the next most important thing. Can Gus play to the level of top NFL QB's behind a better line?

Then WR/DB would be a toss-up. Probably corner and safety are more important, if the defensive schemes start jelling it still needs more talent with all the excellent passing offenses out there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:12:28 pm by Komrade Conrad » Logged
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 01:13:15 pm »

The OL should be the top priority. This is because the Fins suffered more as a result of missed opportunities on offense, than on blown coverage in my opinion. The D may improve as Will Poole comes back. Saban may pick the LSU corner in the 1st round, and he may make a fast contribution. But QB wouldn't get much better unless the line improves.

You can't always look at the ratings, and say this QB is better than that. Frerotte's good for our system because he can work the long ball and move around efficiently, when behind a weak line. You look at the stats of NFL offenses and the teams that allow the least sacks with few exceptions the QB is healthy and they are in playoffs while the cellar teams did allow the most sacks over the past few years. One of the reason the Bears got into the playoffs, is due to their improved offensive line play: they allowed 31 sacks this year during the regular season compared to 66 last year!  

You could say our O-line was just as improved as the Bears O-line was. Our O-line only allowed 26 sacks this year compared to 52 last year. Although they had a ton of penalties early on in the season, that seemed to go away after they grew accustomed to playing together. Like I said, I listed it because I feel it needs to be upgraded, but don't feel its the #1 priority.

Komrade Conrad

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:21:32 pm »

Still, that would have been a lot higher than the 26 sacks, if we had kept A-J Feeley ,,,
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:29:35 pm »

Still, that would have been a lot higher than the 26 sacks, if we had kept A-J Feeley ,,,

How would that relate to the line rather than Feeley? The O-line played well enough that it does not need to be the #1 pick. Also it is my understanding that it is one of the deepest positions in the draft.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray