Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:38:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Biggest off-season need
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: What position do you feel is the top priority to upgrade this off-season?
Quarterback   -24 (80%)
Offensive Line   -1 (3.3%)
Wide Receiver   -0 (0%)
Defensive Backs   -5 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Biggest off-season need  (Read 16539 times)
bsfins
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 01:36:49 pm »

Tommy Maddux= Gus Frerotte....

Do you not understand what a GM does especially one with as much power as Donohue had?     We are not talking Rick Speilman here.  Donohue is one of the most respected GM in the NFL.

He's still the head coach....REGARDLESS of who the general manager

The fact remains you cannot hang that tag on him simply because we know who was making the decisions then.

IT's NOT a fact,it's an opionon...and yours...not mine...

He made the decisions on who steps on that field...maybe not who's on the team....

I don't want a Kordell Stweart,Tommy Maddux, J.P Losman,Kelly Holcumb,I'll give him he couldn't protect Drew Bledsoe,and tried to change him.

I don't like the QB's He's worked with...I don't want to see those type of guy's in miami....

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 01:40:36 pm »

He made the decisions on who steps on that field...maybe not who's on the team....

I don't want a Kordell Stweart,Tommy Maddux, J.P Losman,Kelly Holcumb,I'll give him he couldn't protect Drew Bledsoe,and tried to change him.

I don't like the QB's He's worked with...I don't want to see those type of guy's in miami....

B- I think he tried to make do with what he had in all of the situations. Did he want Kordell? No, byut thats who the QB was, so he worked with him. Did he want Maddox? No, but thats who the back up was when Kordell got hurt. I'm sure he would've loved to have had a young Ben Roethlisberger to work with. When he got to Buffalo, he had Bledsoe. The GM then decided to move in another direction. I'm sure Mularkey wasn't all for it, but he had to make do. Notice that he did not want to start Losman, and kept benching him in favor of a proven QB? That tells me that he really never liked Losman as his QB. I think Saban will ask Mularkey for input, and then go with whoever he wants to go with. The good thing is Mularkey has proven that he can take an average QB (Stewart, Maddox) and make them shine. So whoever we end up drafting, should have some moderate success.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 01:45:41 pm »

I agree with you Philly...

What I don't want is to bring a young "J.P losman" and be stuck with him for years after Mike Mularky is gone. That's what is getting misconstrued. 
Dphins4me
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 02:16:12 pm »

Got that right.

This means?

No its pretty much a fact.  An opinion is something like.  I think Dan Marino was overrated ( Not really, just an example).  That is an opinion.

A fact is.  Tom Donohue is the GM ( Given that was his title in Buffalo & when they hired him Ralph Wilson said he would make decisions on players drafted & signed as FA )  He gave Mularkey the players to choose from.

You can call a dog a cat, but it does not change the fact you still have a dog.  It would not make it an opinion.

He made the decisions on who steps on that field...maybe not who's on the team.....
  And you are knocking him for choosing Losman over Holcumb?

Oooooooookay.

I don't want a Kordell Stweart,Tommy Maddux, J.P Losman,Kelly Holcumb,I'll give him he couldn't protect Drew Bledsoe, and tried to change him.
  Why you would not want a young QB as talented & athletic as Losman does confuse me. 

Are you one of these people who think a young QB is suppose to be solid from the moment he is drafted?

I don't like the QB's He's worked with...I don't want to see those type of guy's in miami...
Why would you even think you would see those type Qbs in Miami because of him?

Just because a mechanic is forced to work on a Ford, does not mean given the choice he would not want a Royce instead.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:20:52 pm by Dphins4me » Logged
Dphins4me
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »

I agree with you Philly...

What I don't want is to bring a young "J.P losman" and be stuck with him for years after Mike Mularky is gone. That's what is getting misconstrued. 
What is your problem with Losman?   You are acting as if you have made up your mind on his ability, which is far to early to do.

Sure he made his mistakes, but in reality he should not have seen the field this year but things force Buffalo to put him on the field & at times showed great promise.

Losman should be a whole lot better next season with a years worth of playing under his belt.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:21:52 pm by Dphins4me » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 05:14:19 pm »

A.) I don't like "moblie QB's"

B.) I could give a rotten Rats F-- About J.P. Losman

C.) I can hang whatever tag I want on a person,

d.) you're taking things out of context.

Why you would not want a young QB as talented & athletic as Losman does confuse me. 

Your words not mine...See A.)...I don't think he'll be that good of aQB,down the road....But it's not my problem See B.)

If you can't figure out,the Mike Mularky was the head coach,he could play whomever he wished....this is like talking to the wall...

[  No its pretty much a fact.  An opinion is something like.  I think Dan Marino was overrated ( Not really, just an example).  That is an opinion.

A fact is.  Tom Donohue is the GM ( Given that was his title in Buffalo & when they hired him Ralph Wilson said he would make decisions on players drafted & signed as FA )  He gave Mularkey the players to choose from.

You can call a dog a cat, but it does not change the fact you still have a dog.  It would not make it an opinion.

And you are knocking him for choosing Losman over Holcumb?

Just because a mechanic is forced to work on a Ford, does not mean given the choice he would not want a Royce instead.

All taken out of context,and has nothing to do with anything...See d.)
I know what a general manager is...don't patronize me....

If you don't think mike Mularkey isn't going to have a say in who we bring into play QB,you need your head examined.

I'm done trying to explain myself....
Dphins4me
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 09:55:28 pm »

A.) I don't like "moblie QB's"
  Yea, I like wooden Indian type QBs also. 

Hopefully you know there is a difference between mobile & a running QB.  Vick is a running QB.  Losman is mobile.

B.) I could give a rotten Rats F-- About J.P. Losman
  So you care. 

C.) I can hang whatever tag I want on a person,
  Yes you can.  No matter whether its right or wrong.  You can do it.

d.) you're taking things out of context.
  No, I really do not think there is anything to take out of context. 
   You made a statement(s) & it was not really accurate.   Like Mularkey was responsible for having Kordell in Pitts & Losman in Buffalo.

Your words not mine...See A.)...I don't think he'll be that good of aQB,down the road....But it's not my problem See B.)
  No.  You said you did not want a QB like Losman drafted in Miami.  Losman is young, athletic, strong armed QB.  What does that mean you want?  If you go opposite of that then it sounds like to me Gus is what you want. 

We has already determined you want a wooden Indian type QB.  Ok, so do you want young?   Do you want weak armed?

If you can't figure out,the Mike Mularky was the head coach,he could play whomever he wished....
  Really do not get where you are going with this comment.  You act as if he had a better option.

He had two real choices.  Holcomb or Losman.  Who do you pick?  An old broken down QB who has never been anything more than a stop gap QB or your former No. 1 pick that has a rocket for an arm & legs to get out of trouble & the physical talent to be special.

I can see where one would think Holcomb would be the better choice.

this is like talking to the wall...
   Sorry, for pointing out the huge flaws in what you have said.   I guess some people simply like going around with their head buried in the sand hoping no one will notice.

All taken out of context,and has nothing to do with anything...See d.)
I know what a general manager is...don't patronize me....
    Not patronizing you.  Just wondering why you are blaming the coach for the players the GM gave him to work with.  Makes no sense.

If you don't think mike Mularkey isn't going to have a say in who we bring into play QB,you need your head examined.
  I doubt he will have much of a say other than.   "Hey Mike.  What do you think?"

I'm sure his opinion will be ask, but in the end it will come down to what Saban & Muellar think.  These are the two men in charge of bringing players in, but I can see where one would think they will let what the OC make the call. 

Again, Mularkey has never had the chance to make that call so who knows what type QB he likes.

I'm done trying to explain myself...
Guess that hole will stop getting deep then.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 10:30:06 pm »

Hey Dphins4me- welcome to the boards. If you have a second, stop by the off topic forum and tell us about yourself.

We are glad to have you here, but lets try to keep the discussions on topic. If you and B disagree, so be it, but no need to keep going around and around about the differences you guys have. You will find that lots of people on here disagree, but when threads end up becoming back and forth banter and name calling, it gets disinteresting for everyone.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
DolFan619
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 10:34:00 pm »

Â    Clearly, our biggest offseason need is a QB.  Unfortunately we are not in the best position to draft one this year.  There is a slight chance Cutler could fall to us, but his stock could shoot through the roof at the Senior Bowl this week.  Leaving us with some other names to ponder.  Names like: Omar Jacobs, D.J. Shockley, Brodie Croyle, Charlie Whitehurst, and Reggie McNeal (who, by the way, was pretty damn impressive in the E/W Shrine Game on Saturday).  Three of the five names will be performing at the Senior Bowl this weekend, DolFans might want to check out the game, and start taking a long look at some of the other names.

Â The other major need is CB.  Our secondary really hurt us this past season.  Madison doesn't fit the system, and Reggie Howard sucks as a starter.  Travis Daniels proved himself this season, but with questions surrounding Will Poole's knee we should consider drafting Michael Huff of Texas.  This guy can tackle and will knock you on your ass.  These are the kind of corners that Coach Saban wants.

Â So, if it looks like Cutler won't be available to us at 16.  I say we need to go ahead and shore up an ailing secondary with a very good young corner.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 11:41:07 pm »

like i've said in earlier threads...QB is obviously THE spot to upgrade, with nasty high energy guy in the secondary being a close second.  get younger on the defensive side of the ball along with more secondary playmakers, while maybe getting a nice solid free agent pickup for the o-line...should be some good options out there this offseason. 
Dphins4me
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 09:02:18 am »

Hey Dphins4me- welcome to the boards..
  Thanks.

We are glad to have you here, but lets try to keep the discussions on topic. If you and B disagree, so be it, but no need to keep going around and around about the differences you guys have. You will find that lots of people on here disagree, but when threads end up becoming back and forth banter and name calling, it gets disinteresting for everyone.

Sorry, but I've always enjoyed the back & forth with a poster.   

I never lower myself to name calling even when someone does it to me. 

Also this is not a simple difference of opinion.

Any way I will let it go.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 09:31:55 am by Dphins4me » Logged
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 09:15:55 am »

I went DB.

I want a QB badly, but I don't think the right one will be available. I hope I am wrong. We have the 16th pick, and the top 3 QBs should be gone by then.  I don't want to take a QB just for the sake of taking one.  Example: We draft a Brodie Croyle 2nd round. We do this, we will groom him for a couple of years and hope he turns out. If he doesn't we will be worse off being committed to an average qb when a better future QB might be out there.

I want to build our defense and get younger. I miss the days when we had 2 quality corners and had 100% faith in them.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 11:58:42 am »

obviously the fins need upgrading at the qb position. assuming that they can't move too far up from #16, cutler might be a possibility, but i think that the player most worthy of moving up for is huff by far. this guy will make an immediate impact much like crowder did at backer last year. where did we get crowder, 3rd round?? man he can play any of the backer positions at a high level. well huff can basically do the same between safety and cover corner. your looking at a very special player that can line up anywhere in the secondary right now. versus maybe a decent prospect at qb in cutler...
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 12:36:36 pm »

Hey guys- keep in mind that I never said "who should we draft in the first round?"
The poll is what is the top priority for the offseason.

Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »

I went with a defensive back.  While I wait with anticipation for a new QB under center, I'm a firm believer that a good defense is better that a good offense.  A weakness at DB is hard to hide and the Dolphins were vicitmized often this year.  I would love a shutdown corner to lock up half the field, and still think we could get a prospect QB in later rounds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray