Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:14:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Merged: Dom Capers/ Defensive Coordinator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Merged: Dom Capers/ Defensive Coordinator  (Read 10291 times)
NextSeason

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 08:54:59 am »

Not sure about the hires, but I'll just put my faith in St. Nick.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 10:04:33 am »

I agree, love the sarcasm also.  But at 3-7,  I know you, among many, were singing a different tune.  Especially when dude came out to the media saying that scores and records don't matter.  We all know these are rebuilding years and like I said,  I HOPE THEY ARE BETTER COORDINATORS THAN HEAD COACHES.  Because even Wannstedt as a HC had a pretty damn good defense,  his specialty.  How have these two faired in their so-called specialties?  Don't get me wrong,  I hope they kick ass,  and I do have a little faith,  but I usually go with results before I start praising people.  Following coordinators isn't my thing,  give me some stats because as of now I'm going by what they did as HC.

I've said this a million times in other threads-

Mularkey had the #5 and #3 offense in the league in two years at Pittsburgh, with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at QB. Imagine if he had a real QB (like we will hopefully soon have).

To look at one year and say Capers was not a good head coach is ridiculous. He took Carolina to the NFC title game in their second year of existence, meaning he knows how to evaluate talent. He helped Jacksonville become a top defense when he was their defensive co-ordinator. He then went to another expansion team. In his few years there, their win total rose every year, except this year. In fact, before this season, everyone predicted them to be 8-8 or better, based on the progress they had made over the last few years. I think he will be a great co-ordinator, despite not fairing well this season.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 10:34:48 am »

I have to admit,I love the idea of a Dom Capers defense.We're trying to go to a 3-4 /4-3 hybrid,and he's a proven D-Coordinator.

I feel he's going to be here for more than 1 year,he's sort of getting a reputation for a Franchise starter,but once going can't sustain the franchise.

JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 10:47:55 am »

But at 3-7,  I know you, among many, were singing a different tune

Huh?  I groused about throwing the ball too much when the Dolphins had two stud running backs back there (the Atlanta game), but I did not question the head coach.  I've always been positive about Saban; you and I have argued his merits all season.  You know my long standing motto: "No matter how much football I know, any coach (high school, college, or pro)knows loads more than I do.  Therefore, I defer to his knowledge."

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Dphins4me
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 01:02:55 pm »

DUH,  obviously.  I tell you what though,  their respective knowledge in those fields really kept them as head coaches eh?
Just remember that they were not picking their players either.  Both had GMs doing the building & both did a rather weak job of it.
RipleyFinFan

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 01:34:15 pm »

Thoughts or Grips?

Personally I love it!!

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 01:35:56 pm »

Welcome Ripley! We already have a thread going about this topic, so I am merging it with that one.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
SCFinFan
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 02:15:31 pm »

How exactly did 2 defensive coordinators cooexist on the same team? Who had the authority over the other? What happened if they called conflicting sets?
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 04:55:22 pm »

Huh?  I groused about throwing the ball too much when the Dolphins had two stud running backs back there (the Atlanta game), but I did not question the head coach.  I've always been positive about Saban; you and I have argued his merits all season.  You know my long standing motto: "No matter how much football I know, any coach (high school, college, or pro)knows loads more than I do.  Therefore, I defer to his knowledge."

We're fans John,  that's all. It's ok to talk about and question things that happen in our favorite sport, and you aren't assuming any authority over Saban or any coach if you did. But discussing things like this is what keeps these subjects alive and interesting. If we all just said "good move"  to EVERY single transaction that ever happened,  this site wouldn't even be called "The Dolphins make me cry". 
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 04:59:05 pm »

Just remember that they were not picking their players either.  Both had GMs doing the building & both did a rather weak job of it.

True.  Very true.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 05:38:31 pm »

Its official. Capers has been added to the staff as a Special Assistant to the Head Coach.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 06:35:38 pm »

There is a saying that I think applies quite often:

You get promoted to your level of incompetence.

In other words, if you do a good job, you'll get promoted out of it.  This will continue until a) you reach the top or b) you start sucking at your new job.

BUF's former HC, Gregg Williams, is a good example.  Great DC, horrible HC.  And if he continues to be a great DC, he'll eventually get another HC job.

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 05:35:54 pm »

Anyone know why rumors are floating around regarding Miami's DC position? On the Phinatics site someone is hearing rumors about Venturi from the Saints and I am now seeing reports that Dom Capers is to be offered the job.

Don't we still have our DC? What a way to break the news to the guy.

Looks like Smith may be leaving...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-capers25jan25,0,1547.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »

There is a saying that I think applies quite often:

You get promoted to your level of incompetence.

Good call...that would be Dr Laurence Peter's "The Peter Principle"

"In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

As true in football as it is in the business world. Probably one of the good doctor's best quotes, though I really like his convoluted take on censorship as well:

"A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
RipleyFinFan

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

"A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

Deep.....very deep!!!

As far as the new coaches go....
I am all for it!1 Both have excelled in their respective specialties. My only concern is them staying around!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray