Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:25:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Speaking of bad top picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Speaking of bad top picks  (Read 13031 times)
DOLFIN4EVER

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 04:35:41 pm »

The fact is.......Shula failed Danny.  I hate to say that but it's the truth.  Look at what Danny did when Shula surrounded him with players like Clayton, Duper, and More.  He was unstoppable.  But after the early eighties, Shula failed miserably in the draft.  You just can't do that in the NFL.  This is especially the case during the pre-free-agency period.  I firmly believe that Danny would of won the "Big Show" if a coaching change would of been made earlier in his career.  Unfortunately, it was too late for Danny when Jimmy came in. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 10:04:23 pm »

Bobby Humphrey was no super star in Denver; he would've never been traded if he were.  He had two 1,000 yard seasons in his first 2 years, yes, but that's hardly what I'd call "super".

Bobby Humphrey held out almost an entire year in a contract dispute.

In just his 2nd season Bobby Humphrey was one of the league's poster children.  While he had "only" gained 2353 yards in his first two seasons, the league marketed him heavily.  He was a fresh face on the rise. 

One fact is indisputable: In his first 31 games he averaged 19 carries for 76 yards.  In his one season with Miami he averaged 6 carries for 29 yards.   

Miami got their hands on a top 10 RB and turned him into a 3rd down pass catcher. 

"Ruined his career"?  What idiot said that?   

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 02:49:31 am »

Miami was a 11 win team in '00. Wanny thought Miami was close & since you have forgotten. Miami's weak spot in '00 was 3rd CB. So the drafting of a CB was not moronic. The player they picked was. Smoot was far better than Jamar.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think that Wanny was wrong in his estimations.  We weren't close.  ...even at 11 wins, we weren't a Super Bowl calibur team.  ...we weren't balanced enough.  With the way the defensive unit was playing, compared to the offense, I find it strange that we didn't jump on the #1 QB in the draft.

As for Brees. Yes, Miami needed a QB, but you have to look at it from Wanny point of view. They won 11 games with Fiedler & Wanny thought Miami was close to being able to make a SB, so why would you draft a QB who most likely would not help you in '01 & as it turned out did not turn into a decent QB till '04.

Again, I think you're right in what Wanny was thinking, but it looks like Wanny was wrong.  Fiedler wasn't good enough....and despite any other talent we brought in, he couldn't get us there.  Wanny's drafting in that case was short-sided....you don't draft a QB for his skills NEXT YEAR...you draft him for his value for years to come. 

I understand Wanny's thinking. I just did not like the player picked.

I drink your milkshake!
Dphins4me
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 11:27:35 am »

I agree with what you're saying, but I think that Wanny was wrong in his estimations.  We weren't close.  ...even at 11 wins, we weren't a Super Bowl calibur team.  ...we weren't balanced enough.  With the way the defensive unit was playing, compared to the offense, I find it strange that we didn't jump on the #1 QB in the draft.
  Not doubt Wanny was in denial , but I actually believe he thought Miami was close.

Again, I think you're right in what Wanny was thinking, but it looks like Wanny was wrong.  Fiedler wasn't good enough....and despite any other talent we brought in, he couldn't get us there.  Wanny's drafting in that case was short-sided.....
  Wanny was wrong, but you have to remember this is a man who did not like to throw so a QB was not high on his list.   He just wanted someone to not turn the ball over.

you don't draft a QB for his skills NEXT YEAR...you draft him for his value for years to come. 
When a team is close you draft for the coming season early & two years down the road later.  Plus there were huge questions about Brees then.  There was a reason he lasted until Rd. 2.  Probably that is would be a few season before he was ready.

Miami would have ran him out of ton before he started to play well.  Heck they only gave AJ a couple of games.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 12:03:14 am »

Sure, he could have had Wilson.  Though where would he be playing in Miami?

Its not like the MLB is being manned by some no name linebacker.
   Sure could have had Brees also.  I wonder what team he would be playing for now had Miami drafted him? 

I understand what you're saying.... but fact is those two guys panned out and the guys JJ and Wanny drafted didn't.  That's a fact, jack!!

Additionally, forget about this 1998 "Trade down before the draft started" stuff.  I was going from where the Dolphins ORIGINAL pick was. 
Dphins4me
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 09:03:35 am »

Additionally, forget about this 1998 "Trade down before the draft started" stuff.  I was going from where the Dolphins ORIGINAL pick was. 
All I've ever said about the '98 draft is JJ never passed on Moss.  Yes, he could have had him, but he never made the decision to not draft Moss.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:08:24 am by Dphins4me » Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 10:40:50 am »

All I've ever said about the '98 draft is JJ never passed on Moss.  Yes, he could have had him, but he never made the decision to not draft Moss.

He made the decision to trade down.  By that token of reasoning, he passed up a chance to draft Moss, or Holliday. 
Dphins4me
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 11:51:39 am »

He made the decision to trade down.  By that token of reasoning, he passed up a chance to draft Moss, or Holliday. 
Yea, after the fact he did.   Passing on a .5% chance at something is not the same as actually passing on the player themself.   The way some are making it sound JJ was on the clock with Moss sitting there & he traded down.  As I stated earlier in this thread.  Moss was 99.5% considered a top 10 pick & potentially one of the best of all time coming into the NFL.

Why would JJ even think he would fall all the way down to 19th? 

As for Holliday his career has been avg. so missing out on him was nothing huge.  Yes, he would have been better than Avery.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 01:24:07 pm »

I was going from where the Dolphins ORIGINAL pick was. 
Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray