Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  College Football Recruiting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: College Football Recruiting  (Read 6420 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:47:18 pm »

National Signing Day (today) is like the NFL Draft for colleges.  It is a day when prep school football stars make the biggest decision regarding their futures.  It is also a day of surprises, when kids who look like a lock to go to one school, suddenly switch to another.

Such was the case for Florida State today.  They hauled in an extremely strong recruiting class that focused on bulking up on the offensive and defensive lines.  This class is rounded out by DB Myron Rolle, LB Marcus Sims (Ernie's kid brother), O-Linemen Shannon Boatman, Evan Bellamy, and Brandon Davis, as well as Anthony Leon, and Patrick Robinson.  The last four are four of the top nine recruits from Miami.  In recent years, the University of Miami would be a lock to get all of them, but Florida State has made a strong push in that area, just like they used to in the 90's.  Leon and Robinson were a bit of a surprise.  Leon had given an oral commitment to the Seminoles, who had recruited him since early October.  Then when visits rolled around, the Hurricanes made their push and late reports had him heading to Miami.  But when signing day came, Leon was one of the few who was a man of his word and he pulled on his Noles cap.  Robinson, on the other hand, appeared all but destined to be a Gator.  However, with tears rolling, he announced that Florida State was where he wanted to be all his life.

I'd love to hear the rundown at other schools.  College football fans chime in!!!
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:05:58 pm »

Florida has the #1 recruiting class.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:11:12 pm »

The 'Canes didn't do that well at all, imo ...I do like both of the local RBs, Robinson and James, but overall, there just isn't enough top-notch players in this class. As someone who cheers for the 'Canes, I hope some of these guys surprise me in a good way over the next 3-4 years or Miami could be in for difficult times.

I look at the prepsters that signed with Florida and I drool. That is a greek boatload of talent all coming in at the same time...should be interesting to see which become the biggest stars (we'll be listing some of these kids in our 2009 mock drafts). Will local strong-armed lefty, Tim Tebow, step up and become a great college QB? I think Percy Harvin is a lock as a stud WR...and Jamar Hornsby will be an excellent safety at any level if he can bulk up just a little without losing that great speed.

Florida State also had a monster class come in, though I'd still rate it a notch below Florida. That said, how well they do "next" is more important than how we rate the recruiting classes right now. Bowden got the top-rated player in the entire class with safety Myron Rolle, who I heard one sports pundit describe as "Sean Taylor...with a brain." If the NFL suddenly took the NBA's stance on high schoolers in the draft, Myron Rolle would be a first round selection right now (imo) without ever having played a college snap, just on physical gifts (size/speed) and top-end potential. While Florida may have gotten the best WR in the class in Harvin, the "other" WR on Harvin's HS team, Damon McDaniel, will be FSU's best WR by this time next season...bank on it. The other guy that the Seminoles inked that I think will be excellent is another local kid (all-state, FL) Daron Rose. 6'6" 300-pounder with the frame to hold a good 25-30 more with ease. He'll be a pro someday too.  Cheesy

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:45:20 am »

Florida has the #1 recruiting class.

I agree, although Rivals had them ranked at #2.  I'd love to hear some in depth reports from people's favorite colleges though.  For example:

GoCowboys- Florida
Househead- Miami
PhillyFinFan- Penn St
AZ Fins Fan- Arizona State
MaineDolFan- Oregon
Predatory Fins- South Carolina

Cmon guys, sound off!!!!!
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 02:24:51 pm »

As a gator fan im very pleased at the hard work urban meyer and staff did reeling in the top rated class. We had a few defections at the end, but id say 90 percent of the class honored their oral commitments. Very solid and well balanced class IMO.

DL-5
OL-4
DB-4
ATH-3
LB-3
RB-3
WR-3
QB-1
TE-1

Obviously the ass whippin the gators put on F$U IN THE SWAMP got the ball rolling on this class, meyer was able to capitalize off of that huge victory over an in state rival. Headliners of the class are MR. Tim tebow, has everything were looking for to fit meyers system. Percy harvin.......is a flat out stud with blazing speed. Carl johnson.............6'6 348 O-lineman........... time to start ordering the pancakes baby!!!! He should be able to come right in and compete for a starting position considering the gators only have 1 returning starter in '06..........LB Brandon spikes......... This is my favorite recruit of them all. The guy is nasty, and relentless. 6'4 235. He will be the eventual replacement for earl everett or brandon siler.

We cleaned house in tampa, and took the best 2 prospects out of north carolina, and grabbed 2 prospects from texas including running back mon williams. I would have liked to done better in south florida, but from what i've heard it wasnt exactly one of dade or browards better years as far as superior talent. I'm sure meyer will make it priority number 1 next year, as he will be entrenched in the local high schools down here.

BTW...........Patrick robinson you're a punk!!!!!!! You get on national television declaring you're a gator, then a week later you're a criminole. You didnt even have the balls to inform the gators of your decision. Real class act robinson. Good luck losing to the gators the next 4 years. At least c.j spiller was classy enough to call meyer and bobby bowden.

Miami's class ill give a C............Delvin was a huge loss, i dont care how the hurricane apologists try to spin it. You go from losing an Elite 11 QB, to gaining one being recruited by arkansas st. lol. I was suprised their weren't more casualties as a result of coker's firings of his assistants. I guess you have to give the coaches some credit for maintaining most of the class.  When the kicker is the highlight of your class you know their's trouble in canes land. Coker is a dead man walking, and after they loss 3 games next year he'll be gone.

I love how the S.E.C did this year. Schools like ole miss recieved high marks for their class. Auburn, georgia, lsu,and alabama cleaned house as well. jUST THE WAY I LIKE IT. The best conference in the land deserves to have the best players in it. Should be another exciting , heartstopping year in the S.E.C  next season.

GLad to see phil fulmer and UcheaT take a nosedive in recruiting this year. He better get jimmy clausen the top prospect in '07 or his ass will be toast as well.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 03:13:27 pm »

Congrats to Larry Johnson! No, not the RB for the Chiefs (and PSU alumni), but his dad, who heads up recruiting for Penn State.

Penn State ended up with a pretty damned good class. They've been lucking out with their recruiting efforts in MD the last few years, and this year was no different.

The biggest name, in my opinion, was local QB Pat Devlin, who had verbally committed to Miami, but changed his mind after the coach who helped recruit him was fired.

They also got two very good WR's- Chris Bell from VA, who had vebally commited to VT, but changed his mind  a few weeks ago, and Cedric Jeffries, from NJ.
These two guys, combined with the WR's PSU already has, means  Devlin will have some nice targets for a few years.

Add to that the fact that they got the #1 ranked OG in the country (JB Walton from MD), the #6 ranked OG (Antonio Logan-El from MD), and a pretty good OT from NJ (Lou Eliades), and Devlin should be sitting pretty in the pocket.

On the defensive side of the field, PSU also got stronger. They got two very good LB's from MD -Navarro Bowman (ILB ranked #22), and Bani Gbadyu (OLD ranked #9 or higher by most). They also got one of the top CB's in the country, also from MD- AJ Wallace. In addition, they got a lot of DT's and DE's.

All in all, I think they got a very strong class, with good players on both sides of the ball.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
BeefStewert
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 04:12:10 pm »

I agree, although Rivals had them ranked at #2.  I'd love to hear some in depth reports from people's favorite colleges though.  For example:

GoCowboys- Florida
Househead- Miami
PhillyFinFan- Penn St
AZ Fins Fan- Arizona State
MaineDolFan- Oregon
Predatory Fins- South Carolina

Cmon guys, sound off!!!!!

Maine, you are an Oregon fan?  Why?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:40:13 pm »

Maine, you are an Oregon fan?  Why?

He's an Oregon graduate
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:44:47 pm »

He's an Oregon graduate

He is?

Played baseball and football for UMaine, had to sit out a year as I had previously signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Oregon. 

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:42:36 pm »

I think JoePA did best this year. He gets M. Evans one of the top DE prospects in the country, one of the top WRs Bell. He also gets that punk Pat Devlin. Sure its a loss, but I think UM fans can live with if they commit to Wright.

The Canes IMHO did good but not great. Dedrick Epps the new TE some scouts are comparing him to the next Winslow. If hes half that I'll take it. Good blocking ability for his speed & natural hands. CB Ryan Hill 5-11 / 186 picked from the Gaytors own back yard. Good height & size for the physical style the Canes like to play. Ditto for Chavarez Grant & Trevaris Johnson. Ian Symonette 6-9 / 338 OT monster from the Bahamas - green but at that size who cares he'll get better with playtime. And finally Sam Shields a fast WR we desperately needed to stretch the field. Plus 3 top RBs on the way. UM continues to build its defensive dominance I just wish they would have gone after more O-linemen all our seniors are gone. Good nonetheless.

I have to give the Gaytors credit they get the top WR in the country & possibly the 3rd best QB for that spread offense. Too bad their 4-3 defense will let them down. Good recruiting though.

As for the Sem-aholes two good pickups on the O-line Hardrick & Boatman both expected to make an impact. Other than that nothing noteworthy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:17:29 pm by TEKGOD » Logged
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 12:00:28 am »

I think JoePA did best this year. He gets Jerome Hayes one of the top 15 LB prospects in the country, one of the top CBs Justin King who is considered a shut down corner & Derrick Williams. He also gets that punk Pat Devlin. Sure its a loss, but I think UM fans can live with if they commit to Wright.

All three of the guys you mentioned were from last years recruiting class.  Huh

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 12:10:43 am »

Nebraska is ranked 29. No bad considering we are still rebuilding. But ey we beat MIchigan.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 07:33:01 am »

Nebraska is ranked 29. No bad considering we are still rebuilding. But ey we beat MIchigan.

More detail dude.  Describe the class and who you think the best players they signed are. 
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 11:15:28 am »

Ok I was finally able to dig up info. We did another good job of upgrading our OL and especially our defense. We got the #1 jr college DB who has a 5 star rating, Andre Jones.
We also got a top 10 jr college rb Kenny Wilson, who is 6'0 220 and runs 4.4, so we will still have a good running game. What is intriguing is the number of tall recievers Callahan went after for his west coast offense. We will have to see how they pan out.
As I said, it isn't as great as some classes, but I am optimistic we will improve upon this year's success.
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 03:18:33 pm »

All three of the guys you mentioned were from last years recruiting class.  Huh

Youre right I was looking at like 4 different pages & when I wrote that lol. I still think Penn St finished strong & I edited for correctness.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray