Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:22:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Missing Super Bowl MVP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Missing Super Bowl MVP  (Read 10137 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: February 05, 2006, 06:21:15 pm »

I was watching the introduction of the Super Bowl MVP's and I noticed they completely skipped over Super Bowl VII MVP Jake Scott.  What made this even more disheartening was the fact that Super Bowl VII was the Dolphins undefeated season.  Unless Jake Scott had a good reason to miss out on this, I think this is a complete insult to the 1972 team and what they accomplished.   Any thoughts??
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 11:20:18 pm »

I was watching the introduction of the Super Bowl MVP's and I noticed they completely skipped over Super Bowl VII MVP Jake Scott.  What made this even more disheartening was the fact that Super Bowl VII was the Dolphins undefeated season.  Unless Jake Scott had a good reason to miss out on this, I think this is a complete insult to the 1972 team and what they accomplished.   Any thoughts??

As i understand it ... he's not big on public events. i don't think he ever does signings or if does it is rare.  I heard Joe Montana wasn't there either but I didn't see that part.

Edited to include this article :

I found this linked from a post on Phinatic's site
Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw have decided to remain home. Bradshaw has told league officials that he wants to be with his family, even though his former team is in Super Bowl XL. Montana apparently was unwilling to come because the price wasn't right.

According to a source familiar with Montana's situation, the former three-time MVP asked that he be guaranteed $100,000 in appearance money during his time at the Super Bowl. The league could not accommodate that request, so Montana declined to be in attendance.

Former MVP Jake Scott of the Dolphins couldn't make it because he's traveling in Australia. Former Cowboys defensive lineman Harvey Martin, another Super Bowl MVP, died of pancreatic cancer in 2001.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, a three-time Super Bowl winner and two-time MVP, will perform the pregame coin toss. And former Packers quarterback Bart Starr, whose team won the first two Super Bowls, will deliver the Lombardi Trophy to the winning team

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spmvps054614898feb05,0,4885382.story?coll=ny-football-headlines

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:30:23 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:32:38 am »

According to a source familiar with Montana's situation, the former three-time MVP asked that he be guaranteed $100,000 in appearance money during his time at the Super Bowl. The league could not accommodate that request, so Montana declined to be in attendance
While we all know to take un-named sources with a grain of salt (right?), if this is true did anyone else just lose a bit of respect for ol' Joe?

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 02:03:08 am »

While we all know to take un-named sources with a grain of salt (right?), if this is true did anyone else just lose a bit of respect for ol' Joe?

I sure as hell did if it's true.  But not surprising either,  you know the town name "Joe, Montana?"  he's never even been there even after numerous invitations.  I guess it's just me,  but if an entire town changes its name in honor of me,  damn,  I'd at least go (once) out of respect.   Undecided
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:04:07 am »

That is true. We didnt notice that Montana was missing until later.

But, the MVP of the 17-0 season should have been there.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 04:40:17 am »

What, you mean one of the mighty, high-class 49ers couldn't be bothered to show up?

So apparently, the entrance fee was good enough for Franco Harris, John Elway, and Emmitt Smith... but not Joe Montana?

I guess the meaningless GMC win-a-car promotion (which Simms, Theismann, and Montana competed in... and Montana lost) was more important than joining the other MVPs.

Don't worry, you won't hear any outcry about this on any media outlet.  Montana can do no wrong.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:07:36 am »

Terry Bradshaw wasn't there, either...
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 09:42:03 am »

Terry Bradshaw wasn't there, either...

Please read before posting!  Wink

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw have decided to remain home. Bradshaw has told league officials that he wants to be with his family, even though his former team is in Super Bowl XL. Montana apparently was unwilling to come because the price wasn't right.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 09:43:30 am »

fine, i can tell where i'm not wanted... Roll Eyes
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:16:00 am »

Nope...I'm not so overly sensitive that Joe failing to show up on my TV would cause me to lose respect for the greatest QB in the history of the game. Joe doesn't owe you or me anything...if he didn't feel like being part of that media promotion, more power to him.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:30:45 am »

Wow it can't be that he is hurting for cash. Kind of shitty if you ask me!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:23:54 pm »

Nope...I'm not so overly sensitive that Joe failing to show up on my TV would cause me to lose respect for the greatest QB in the history of the game. Joe doesn't owe you or me anything...if he didn't feel like being part of that media promotion, more power to him.

The Super Bowls and the fans made him. If he couldn't get off of his arse to honor both of them then I say F the loser. He was there all week anyway.  Montana isn't that great that he can be an absolute arse and still be adored.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 12:53:55 pm »

I think he is referring to the monetary demands more than him simply not showing up.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 01:24:25 pm »

I can't believe what I'm reading up here...

First, Joe isn't currently under contract to the fans, or any NFL team, so getting pissed that he didn't show up to make an appearance just seems a bit petty to me.

Second, nobody actually knows the details as to why Joe didn't show up on Sunday, so how can you dog the guy on speculation alone? For all you know, Joe could have been doing something to raise money for one of his MANY charitable causes and didn't feel that the NFL's public relations cause was as important.

Third...Jake Scott and Terry Bradshaw didn't show up either, Jake because he was traveling in Australia and Bradshaw because he just wanted to stay at home. I'd ask why they aren't getting ripped here instead of Joe Montana?

Come on guys...it's been 22 years already. Some of you really need to get over the whole SB XIX spanking that Joe and the Niners delivered to Miami.  It isn't healthy to hold on to that...  Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 01:44:54 pm »

Joe's getting ridiculed because it is reported IN THIS THREAD that he asked for 100-grand (more money than most of us make in a year) just to show his face and BE HONORED before the game.

That's balls.

He'd have been better off just saying "no thanks" and more people would have the same reaction to him as they do to the others...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray