Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:34:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Missing Super Bowl MVP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Missing Super Bowl MVP  (Read 10131 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 11:39:24 am »

Montana, Bradshaw deny missing ceremony over $$
ESPN.com news services

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, and Bradshaw reportedly turned down the invitation over money.

Both denied the reports.

In a phone interview with "Quite Frankly" host Stephen A. Smith on Monday night, Montana vehemently denied forgoing the ceremony over money and reiterated that his absence was due to his preference to see his son's basketball game.

Montana told ESPN last week that he wasn't going to attend the Super Bowl because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend. Bradshaw, according to the Chronicle, told league officials he wanted to be with his family.

Montana said money was never an issue and that he would not have attended the Super Bowl ceremony even if the appearance fee had been greater than the $100,000 he was reported to have requested.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2321024&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 05:21:21 pm »

As Steve Czaban said...

What kind of kid's league has a basketball game on a Sunday evening?  On Super Bowl Sunday, even?

Sounds somewhat suspect.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 05:25:36 pm »

As Steve Czaban said...

What kind of kid's league has a basketball game on a Sunday evening?  On Super Bowl Sunday, even?

Sounds somewhat suspect.

I don't think the game was actually on Sunday. I have read where Montana said his agreement was to stay in Detroit until Friday. That means he could have flown back for a Friday night or Saturday game. If this is the case I wouldn't want to get back on a plane either.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 08:12:25 pm »

I don't think the game was actually on Sunday. I have read where Montana said his agreement was to stay in Detroit until Friday. That means he could have flown back for a Friday night or Saturday game. If this is the case I wouldn't want to get back on a plane either.

Sir Phishalot...you have got to understand that Spidey is a die-hard, out-of-the-closet 49ers hater. He wears it proudly in his tag and always has. If the topic of conversation involves a former, current or future 49er in any way, shape or form, you can expect he'll put as negative a spin as possible on it.  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray