Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:55:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Missing Super Bowl MVP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Missing Super Bowl MVP  (Read 10203 times)
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 02:15:12 pm »

When you're quite possibly the most successful player in NFL history, and when they wanna showcase and present you, you have every right to ask for 100 large.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 02:26:04 pm »

Joe's getting ridiculed because it is reported IN THIS THREAD that he asked for 100-grand (more money than most of us make in a year) just to show his face and BE HONORED before the game.

That's balls.

He'd have been better off just saying "no thanks" and more people would have the same reaction to him as they do to the others...

Please see item #2 of my last post...how do you know that Joe DIDN'T just say no, and the writer or "unnamed source" just read too much into it?  People are dogging the greatest QB of all time on speculation alone. I could see this from some of our more naive board members, but I thought most on this site were cynical (realistic) enough not to believe everything they read, and to not overreact to what little they actually believe.

Personally, I'd love to believe everything I read that was prefaced by the ever-vague tag "source close to the situation says...," but I've worked closely enough to the sports media world that I know it often translates out to the source saying "I'm guessing that the reason was..."

I'm not ready to dog the guy who won 4 titles for my team on speculation alone...just can't do it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 02:35:34 pm »

That's just my point, no one does know, but the only "factual reporting" noted here leans people in that direction.

You're absolutely right, it could be totally different, and this reporter's hatred for Joe Montana twisted the article around, but without any counter-reports, that's what people base their "opinion" on.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 02:50:18 pm »

You're absolutely right, it could be totally different, and this reporter's hatred for Joe Montana twisted the article around, but without any counter-reports, that's what people base their "opinion" on.

"Channel 49 News reporting...in a rebuttal to malicious reports of Joe Montana spurning the NFL's Super Bowl MVP celebration for monetary reasons, a source even closer to the situation revealed that the reason Joe missed the Super Bowl festivities was that he was rescuing a busload of nuns from certain death after their vehicle was run off the road by an angry Dallas Cowboys fan. Joe suffered minor burns, but was treated and released after he spent several hours visiting several terminally ill children in the hospital's cancer ward. None of the nuns suffered any injuries, due to Montana's heroism.

Now here's Tanya, with your 3-day weather forecast..."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 03:00:09 pm »

"Channel 49 News reporting...in a rebuttal to malicious reports of Joe Montana spurning the NFL's Super Bowl MVP celebration for monetary reasons, a source even closer to the situation revealed that the reason Joe missed the Super Bowl festivities was that he was rescuing a busload of nuns from certain death after their vehicle was run off the road by an angry Dallas Cowboys fan. Joe suffered minor burns, but was treated and released after he spent several hours visiting several terminally ill children in the hospital's cancer ward. None of the nuns suffered any injuries, due to Montana's heroism.

Now here's Tanya, with your 3-day weather forecast..."

Ha.  I didn't care one way or another.  I was thinking that if I were retired from my job, and they asked me to fly in to a conference so I could be honored for 10 minutes and the attend boring after parties, I'd probably say "nah, thanks anyway". 

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 03:50:31 pm »

Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw are douchebags.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 03:59:39 pm »

I just read this line on ESPN...

"Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend."

Guess the report about rescuing the busload of nuns wasn't accurate after all.  Wink

~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 04:15:45 pm »

weren't you the one that bashed Philly for citing Cold Pizza as a source last week?

I'm not arguing for or against Joe Montana, I couldn't care less if he was there or not.  I'm just presenting the facts...
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 06:22:29 pm »

weren't you the one that bashed Philly for citing Cold Pizza as a source last week?

Nope...that would be a different basher. I have no problems with Cold Pizza, as long as I can hit the mute button when Skip Bayless opens his mouth.

~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 08:24:29 pm »

My problem isn't with people not showing up... I have nothing against any player saying, "No thanks."

What I have a problem with is Joe Montana thinking that he deserves a larger appearance fee than Emmitt Smith, John Elway, Franco Harris, and the rest (assuming that report is true).  He is not the most important person in NFL history.

If the report isn't true, then fine.  No problem here.  But if the story reported is accurate, he's a jerk.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 08:26:27 pm »

I heard on Maxim Radio today that the players were given: $1000 spending fee, free tickets to the game, hotel and car rental.

Montana said that he would only do it for 100 Grand....10 times that amount.

Ass. Hole.

Little league game my ass.

I drink your milkshake!
Sylum

Michael Vick is an average quarterback.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:35 pm »

If Marino had won a superbowl and won mvp, I think he would not have asked for $100,000.Does everyone still think Montana is so great now? Shocked

God,please send us a quarterback.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 09:36:05 pm »

If Marino had won a superbowl and won mvp, I think he would not have asked for $100,000.Does everyone still think Montana is so great now? Shocked

Yes...he may have passed on showing up at the Super Bowl for this little NFL public relations dog and pony show, but he showed up for all four Super Bowls his team asked him to show up for.

Go figure...he won all four.

If the 'Phins fans on this board had a QB win 4 titles for your franchise over a 9-year span, I can guarantee you'd cut him a helluva lot more slack than you're cutting Joe here...so bugger off.  Angry

~ Micah Leggat
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 01:57:46 am »

Nope...I'm not so overly sensitive that Joe failing to show up on my TV would cause me to lose respect for the greatest QB in the history of the game. Joe doesn't owe you or me anything...if he didn't feel like being part of that media promotion, more power to him.
Without the NFL Joe Montana would be a virtual nobody selling used cars some where in Pennsyvania or Indiana. 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 03:05:42 am »

If the 'Phins fans on this board had a QB win 4 titles for your franchise over a 9-year span, I can guarantee you'd cut him a helluva lot more slack than you're cutting Joe here...so bugger off.  Angry
Franco Harris won 4 titles for his franchise in a 6-year span.  He still managed to show up for the "paltry" $1000 appearance fee.

Maybe he feels like he owes some small debt to the league that made him... go figure, huh?

Again, my problem isn't with the fact that Montana didn't show up... it's with the fact that he apparently feels that he deserves ten times as much money as, say, Jerry Rice is willing to take.  That is pure, unadulterated greed.

And you know what?  If this were an event for former NFL MVPs (instead of Super Bowl MVPs) and Marino pulled the same sort of classless stunt that Montana did, do you really think that we would be making excuses for Marino?  Do you think that any halfway rational Dolphins fan could say, "It's perfectly OK for Dan Marino to ask for 10 times as much money as Barry Sanders"?

Come on now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:10:53 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray