Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trade Madison?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: what do you think Saban could get in trade for Madison, if he opted to trade him?
Late first round or second round pick from a team that is "really really close"   -3 (13.6%)
3rd or 4th round pick   -6 (27.3%)
A conditional pick for '07 draft based on his play in '06   -3 (13.6%)
A lot of laughter on the other end of the phone line, since everyone knows he will be released.   -10 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Trade Madison?  (Read 12349 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: February 06, 2006, 02:31:40 am »

With all of the talk recently about trading pothead, I wanted to bring up Sam Madison. I tread this in the Herald:
CB Sam Madison (linked to K.C., Atlanta and San Diego) reiterated to friends he won't take a pay cut from Miami.

Sam seems to be trying to talk his way out of town.  In my opinion, he knows he only shined for so many years because of Surtain.

Anyway, what do you think Saban could get in trade for him, if he opted to trade him?

1. Late first round or second round pick from a team that is "really really close"
2. 3rd or 4th round pick
3. Conditional pick for '07 draft based on his play in '06
4. A lot of laughter on the other end of the phone line, since everyone knows he will be released.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 02:33:47 am »

By the way, I voted for option #4.
Madison had an average year at best. He doesn't look to fit into Saban's long term plans, especially due to his cap number. I think no team would be willing to offer up any kind of pick, since they might figure they can get him for nothing if they wait.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 02:36:47 am »

I voted 3rd or 4th round pick....I honestly think it's wishful thinking...

I'm not really sure,He's over 30,not the cover guy he once was.
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:26:47 am »

Sam was a pretty damn good player before Surtain was there, and had some bad years while he was there. That point is a bit off center..

I voted for 4 because of his contract and age aren't very tradeable..
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:10:16 am »

Sam isn't going anywhere.  This team is in need of corners, cutting Sam would be retarded. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:37:51 am »

Sam isn't going anywhere.  This team is in need of corners, cutting Sam would be retarded. 

Want to put money on that? He has said he won't take a pay cut. Saban isn't going to pay him what he is scheduled to make. Bye bye Madison.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:41:27 am »

Great, so then Reggie Howard and Travis Daniels will be our starting corners?

He better be prepared to replace him with a big name free agent if this does happen.  I don't care if Madison comes or goes, I am worried about our depth at CB.  I don't want to see Reggie Howard blowing coverages out there anymore.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 09:45:33 am »

Great, so then Reggie Howard and Travis Daniels will be our starting corners?

He better be prepared to replace him with a big name free agent if this does happen.  I don't care if Madison comes or goes, I am worried about our depth at CB.  I don't want to see Reggie Howard blowing coverages out there anymore.

Don't forget Will Poole, as well as this guy Shirdonya Mitchell. Saban is really high on him, even though he is coming off of an injury. I also expect us to draft a CB in the 2nd round.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 09:56:20 am »

Don't forget Will Poole, as well as this guy Shirdonya Mitchell. Saban is really high on him, even though he is coming off of an injury. I also expect us to draft a CB in the 2nd round.

I expect first round.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:20:07 am »

Saban was also high on Kiwaukee Thomas.  What happened to him?

I am not forgetting about Poole, but he's shown that he can't stay healthy.  Depth is a big issue.
DolFan619
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:26:21 am »

Saban was also high on Kiwaukee Thomas.  What happened to him?

I am not forgetting about Poole, but he's shown that he can't stay healthy.  Depth is a big issue.

I don't recall Coach Saban saying that.  Point is, Will Poole and Shirdonya Mitchell should be healthy this coming offseason, plus with odds of us drafting Jimmy Williams or Michael Huff it just seems that trading Sam would be the right thing to do.  Everyone says we need to start anew at the quarterback position, well the same thing applies to the secondary. 

Travis Daniels was just the start of this transition.  Sam had a tough time in this system and he just doesn't fit into what Coach Saban wants to do at the corner position.  If you trade Madison, I think he's worth at least a fourth to fifth round pick, primarily because of his age and his contract.  Someone will take a shot at Madison.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 11:36:00 am »

I think we could get a conditional pick out of Madison, but nothing more.  He's only a servicable corner at this point in his career..nothing more.  And besides....a team that was "really close" probably would already have corners better than Madison.

I think he's a good player and would like him to finish his days here, maybe moving out of the #1 position to Pool or Daniels.  Hopefully they'll be able to work something out.

I drink your milkshake!
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 11:40:00 am »

I think he's a good player and would like him to finish his days here, maybe moving out of the #1 position to Pool or Daniels.  Hopefully they'll be able to work something out.

I don't think he wants to be here anymore. He has been way too vocal about not taking a pay cut, when he knows thats the only way he could remain here. I seriously think he wants to go to KC and play with Surtain again.

bsfins
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 11:56:28 am »

I feel aprt of the problem with trying to trade Madison,(Other than age contract,declining skills),is (imo) where's the high power offenses in the league,that you need 3-4 good cover corners?

Everyone bulked up the past couple of years on cover corners,to stop the Rams,the Pats,The Colts.

I also feel He's a bad tackeler,so you can't move him to safety.That hurts his trade value...

Just the way I see the situation...
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 12:01:17 pm »

Conditional pick is all Miami'd get for Madison.  I'd like him to stay, and unlike most people in Miami, I think he's still a very solid corner.  Is he still a Pro-Bowler?  Nope.  Is he still physical?  Yep.  Can he cover?  Yep.  Does he get beat deep?  Yep, but so do most corners.  He may no longer be elite, but he's way more than "serviceable", or "adequate".

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray