Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:18:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trade Madison?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: what do you think Saban could get in trade for Madison, if he opted to trade him?
Late first round or second round pick from a team that is "really really close"   -3 (13.6%)
3rd or 4th round pick   -6 (27.3%)
A conditional pick for '07 draft based on his play in '06   -3 (13.6%)
A lot of laughter on the other end of the phone line, since everyone knows he will be released.   -10 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Trade Madison?  (Read 12230 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 12:49:34 pm »

I would like to add that I feel a number of you guys are too high on Poole. I expect nothing more out of that guy than a nickle back.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:02:17 pm »

I would like to add that I feel a number of you guys are too high on Poole. I expect nothing more out of that guy than a nickle back.

I really don't expect more than for him to maybe be the #2 CB or a nickel back, but wouldn't that be better than our nickelback from last year?

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Dphins4me
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 01:10:23 pm »

Gonna depend on his cap hit for trading him & when they plan on releasing him.

If Miami is waiting till June then a trade will be out of the question because his cap hit would be too much.

If they plann on pre June cut then a trade would be possible.

Madison was not as bad as most want to make him out to be.  For some reason their is a hatred of Madison among Phins fans.  Do not understand that. 

However, I'd say Miami can move him for a 4th or 5th Rd.  Most likely though teams will wait for him to be released because of his contract.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 01:25:50 pm »

Keep in mind he's clearly a shell of his former self.  I'd be willing to think we could get a conditional pick in 2007 based on how he does in 2006.  I'd ask for a 4th going to a 3rd. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 02:46:22 pm »

Want to put money on that? He has said he won't take a pay cut. Saban isn't going to pay him what he is scheduled to make. Bye bye Madison.
Oh com'on!  $8.315 million for an aging corner who doesn't tackle is a bargain!!!

Anyone think that Madison was best corner on this team at the end of the season? 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
The_Phinatic

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 11:33:22 pm »

Agree with run_to_win on this one.  Madison was not that great last season and has clearly lost a step.  If he isn't cheating then he isn't covering!  It's time to move on.  He was a great one, but not anymore.  The whole defensive backfield needs to go except for a couple --- maybe.  Sam, Reggie, TeBucky --- bye, bye.  I doubt even Schulters stays.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 07:58:02 am »

Agree with run_to_win on this one.  Madison was not that great last season and has clearly lost a step.  If he isn't cheating then he isn't covering!  It's time to move on.  He was a great one, but not anymore.  The whole defensive backfield needs to go except for a couple --- maybe.  Sam, Reggie, TeBucky --- bye, bye.  I doubt even Schulters stays.

I would keep Schultes, Daniels, Bell, Poole, and Mitchell.  I would then focus on DB's in the draft like Williams and Huff.  Maybe also pick up a UFA like Nate Clements.
KYfinfan

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 11:26:59 pm »

Cutting/trading Madison and keeping Madison will cost about the same amount of money against the cap next season.  So what would be the advantage of getting rid of him one way or another?  Getting him off the books in 2007.  Instead of taking a $3 million cap hit in '07 get rid of Madison now and bring in another vet to go along with Poole and Daniels.  I would be extremely surprised if Madison and Howard either one are here next year. 

I would be surprised if anyone trades for Sam due to his $3+ million/year contract in the next two years.  He's still a pretty good CB but I think teams would rather take their chances on the Dolphins cutting him and grabbing him in FA than giving up a pick and paying that high salary.  The other option is a sign and trade, but I have a feeling that Sam would still want a high signing bonus.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 11:44:08 pm »

I would be surprised if anyone trades for Sam due to his $3+ million/year contract in the next two years.  He's still a pretty good CB but I think teams would rather take their chances on the Dolphins cutting him and grabbing him in FA than giving up a pick and paying that high salary.  The other option is a sign and trade, but I have a feeling that Sam would still want a high signing bonus.

I agree with you Kentucky. Like I said, no one will trade for that cap number knowing that they can get him for nothing if they bide their time.

By the way, why don't you go to the Off topic forum and introduce yourself to us in the roll call thread. I visit Lexington and Louisville sometimes for work, and would like to know a little more about you.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 12:29:14 am »

It's good to see you KY!

Cutting/trading Madison and keeping Madison will cost about the same amount of money against the cap next season. 
Is my information outdated?   Madison's prorated bonus is $1.5 mil a year, and his base salary is $8.3 mil this year and $8.4 mil next.

Cutting him costs $3.0 mil (the remaining prorated bonus), but saves the $8.3 mil salary = a net savings of $5.3 mil.

KYfinfan

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 08:19:55 am »

Here is Madison's base salary over the next two years:

2006 3,420,000
2007 4,500,000

According to another site his bonus is prorated at almost $3 million for the next two years.  If that info is correct then the Dolphins can cut ties with Madison now, not take a cap hit in '07, and sign a vet at league minimum and still not be out anymore money(assuming they can find a solid vet at league minimum)
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 04:46:13 pm »

2006 3,420,000
2007 4,500,000

According to another site his bonus is prorated at almost $3 million for the next two years.  If that info is correct then the Dolphins can cut ties with Madison now, not take a cap hit in '07, and sign a vet at league minimum and still not be out anymore money(assuming they can find a solid vet at league minimum)
i am sure Sammy will re-nogotiate his current contract for about 1.5

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 05:18:50 pm »

2006 3,420,000
2007 4,500,000

According to another site his bonus is prorated at almost $3 million for the next two years. 
If his salary was $8 mil and now it's $3 mil, he probably took that $5 mil as an up front bonus so it could be prorated over the life of the contract. 

Before he restructured his signing bonus was $6 mil (prorated at $1.5 a year over 4 years).  With two years left his old bonus would still count $3 mil towards the cap.  The restructed bonus has to be added on to that.

According to a salary cap page site, Madison's pro-rated bonus amount for 2006 is $2,912,931.  Cutting him would create a $6,332,931 hit - which is probably this years bonus + next years bonus.

That cap hit from the bonus stays with Miami even if he is traded so I don't see him going anywhere before June (when the cap hit can be spread out over two years).

Maybe we could get Thrawn to join and plagarize a cap site for us?  Roll Eyes

dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 05:22:24 pm »

madison can't be traded... basically it takes someone to trade with, and really, what team is going to absorb a 3.5 million cap hit in 06 to take on sam (besides the fact that they would have to give up something in return)?? well, not counting if schlepman is around with some other organization  Grin thank god that guy is no longer in our front office...
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 05:31:51 pm »

madison can't be traded... basically it takes someone to trade with, and really, what team is going to absorb a 3.5 million cap hit in 06 to take on sam (besides the fact that they would have to give up something in return)?? well, not counting if schlepman is around with some other organization  Grin thank god that guy is no longer in our front office...
Since a sign and trade is a distinct possibility, that's less of an issue for the receiving team than Miami. 

From Sam's point of view, if he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.  Mind you, the signing bonus was paid when the contract was restructured - and athletes aren't known for saving money. 

There's nothing Miami can do about the $6.3 cap hit from the prorated portion of the bonus. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray