Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:31:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jays Close to deal with molina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jays Close to deal with molina  (Read 2514 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: February 06, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »

Jays reportedly add backstop Molina
Two-time Gold Glover coming off best offensive year of career
By Spencer Fordin / MLB.com 

Bengie Molina set personal bests in home runs (15) and batting average (.295) in 2005. (Chris Carlson/AP)
Blue Jays Headlines

The Blue Jays may have added the capstone to an interesting offseason on Monday, when FOXsports.com reported that Toronto and Bengie Molina were close to signing off on a one-year contract.
The deal is reportedly worth $5 million with a $7.5 million option for 2007, but club officials stressed that nothing is completed yet.

Molina, a two-time Gold Glover, had the best offensive season of his career in 2005. The catcher posted personal bests in home runs (15), batting average (.295), on-base percentage (.336) and slugging percentage (.446). Despite those numbers, the 31-year-old found himself pushed out of a job in Los Angeles and left out on the open market longer than expected.

Molina had previously hoped to land with Baltimore or New York, but the Orioles signed Ramon Hernandez and the Mets traded for Paul Lo Duca. Reports indicate that the Dodgers were the other finalist for his services.

While not official as of yet, the deal would have clear implications. For one, it would push incumbent Gregg Zaun into a backup role. Zaun spent most of his career as a reserve before establishing himself as a starter with two strong seasons for Toronto. Also, Molina's addition would set the team's lineup, which includes fellow newcomers Troy Glaus and Lyle Overbay.

The Blue Jays also added A.J. Burnett and B.J. Ryan to the mix this winter, rounding out their staff with two expensive high-caliber arms. The Jays haven't been to the playoffs since last winning the World Series in 1993, but the potential Molina signing would add more weight to a critically acclaimed offseason.

so maine what do you think of the addition of molina if this happens.
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 06:06:32 pm »

one other question i have for u maine, what does this mean for Guillermo Quiroz . I have heard that we can't send him down because he doesnt have any options left. I have also heard that J.P is trying to get the league to allow him a 4th year. which i heard is possible but very rare. so to make a long story short what does this mean for Guillermo Quiroz.

what is the 3 year 4th year thing anyways. i'm not that clear on this stuff
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:09:57 pm by raptorsfan29 » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:16:54 pm »

Well - I think a wiser move might be to trade Zaun or release him, keeping Quiroz would be more effective long term.  I think that Zaun-type catchers are completely a dime a dozen.

Depending on what shakes down with SS and 2B - this move really helps you defensively.  Overbay and Glaus certainly weaken the team from where it was last year - I think that Shea is a better long term answer at 3B for his hitting, OBP and glove, but Molina helps a lot.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:42:22 pm »

His defense is slipping and his offense probably won't repeat itself from 2005, but it's just a one year deal so it's worth the shot.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray