Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:43:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  ESPN Announces new MNF team
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: Do you like the new MNF team?
Yes   -4 (33.3%)
No   -7 (58.3%)
Who the hell are these guys?   -1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: ESPN Announces new MNF team  (Read 10736 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:04 pm »

No way in hell....Dennis Miller made my ears bleed. He was horrible. I am so glad that little stunt was short lived!!!!!

C'mon man.  Dennis Miller delivers what you call "intelligent comedy".  The type that would make executives at cocktail parties laugh.  The problem is, the average football fan is a young male between the age of 15-35 who has  nowhere near the education of a professional executive.  For example:

"The Jets and the Patriots have a rivalry more bloodier and murkier than the House of Plantagenet."

What is the House of Plantagenet??

"The Raven's defense will cover you from all angles like a Cristo piece of art"

Who is Cristo??

The House of Plantagenet was a British family dynasty that lasted from the 12th to the 15th centuries.   During that time, there was much upheaval, conspiracy, and betrayal, as everyone wanted to be considered the patriarch of the family and would kill other family members to get it.

Cristo was a famous artist whose specialty was wrapping objects in brightly colored paper.  One time, he wrapped all the islands on Biscayne Bay in such paper, and called it his "Waterlily" piece. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 12:19:16 am »

I agree with the appeal of the mellow intellectual smartass - but he seemed to try too hard on MNF.  It's like he'd write bits before hand and stretch some situation in the game to apply so he could use them.  It's like he thought game as just filler between his bits.

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 12:31:08 am »

C'mon man.  Dennis Miller delivers what you call "intelligent comedy".  The type that would make executives at cocktail parties laugh.  The problem is, the average football fan is a young male between the age of 15-35 who has  nowhere near the education of a professional executive.  For example:

"The Jets and the Patriots have a rivalry more bloodier and murkier than the House of Plantagenet."

What is the House of Plantagenet??

"The Raven's defense will cover you from all angles like a Cristo piece of art"

Who is Cristo??

The House of Plantagenet was a British family dynasty that lasted from the 12th to the 15th centuries.   During that time, there was much upheaval, conspiracy, and betrayal, as everyone wanted to be considered the patriarch of the family and would kill other family members to get it.

Cristo was a famous artist whose specialty was wrapping objects in brightly colored paper.  One time, he wrapped all the islands on Biscayne Bay in such paper, and called it his "Waterlily" piece. 
I don't think this has much to do with males between the age of 15 and 35.  Dennis Miller seemed to enjoy making obscure references.  Maybe it made him feel smart when not many people laughed?  Why not make a reference to the French Revolution, something that most of us studied a bit? 

What percentage of non-European history majors know about the House of Pantagenet? 

What percentage of average people can name any modern artist - especially someone like Christo who's art outside what is normally considered art.  Wrapping things?  Bet he was great at Christmas time.   

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 02:38:38 am »

I like Miller, as well...but he didn't fit in that booth.  The other guys didn't work well with him, and he had to give little monologues once in a while to fit in his bits.  Besides, like Run_to_win said, they felt like bits -- he had to MAKE them fit.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 07:50:29 pm »

One quote from Dennis Miller that had me falling off my bar stool laughing:   

(Before the Jets-Patriots game)

"The Jets owner is a guy named Woody Johnson.  The Patriots starting center is a guy named Damien Woody.  So this game is going to come down to who has the best woody!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray