Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:20:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Kind of weird...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kind of weird...  (Read 3723 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:16:27 am »

Check out this picture:

And now read this article. 

Grieving couple gets sign from above
By Michele McPhee/The Beat
Monday, February 6, 2006 - Updated: 11:23 AM EST

In the terrible days after his 20-year-old son was killed by an allegedly drunken driver, Boston cop Dennis Thomson prayed for a sign from his slain namesake.

And he got one. It hangs over Fenway Park.

The Red Sox’s newest billboard over Yawkey Way features three guys from North Quincy knocking knuckles with Trot Nixon in 2003 after he pounded a home run in the 11th inning to clinch Game 3 of the series against the Yankees.

Joseph “Fitzy” Fitgerald is holding the home run ball he caught and is clenching it tight in his fist. His buddy, Dennis Thomson, is on his right, the brim of his Red Sox cap folded back to show his handsome face. Another friend, Neil Gavin, is screaming loud enough to reach the Green Monster.

Thomson, a U.S. airman, looks absolutely ecstatic. Why wouldn’t he? For a guy who loved baseball even before he was old enough to play Little League, who later became the star of the South Shore Seadogs, what could be better than getting a high-five from Trot Nixon flanked by your best friends at Fenway?

“After he died I prayed, God give me a sign that he’s OK. Well, we got a sign all right,” said Thomas, a 39-year BPD veteran who retired last week.

“I feel like that’s my kid up there saying, ‘It’s all right, Dad. Don’t worry about me, Dad.’ ”

Thomas saw the sign for the first time with his wife, Maureen, last Saturday morning. For a minute, the couple stood in front of it, motionless. What are the chances that out of the hundreds of games, the millions of fans in Red Sox nation, this would be the photograph chosen to sell tickets?

“It scares me,” Dennis Thomson said.

Maureen could barely breathe as they stared. The hardscrabble cop clenched his eyes shut as if the sheer motion could contain tears.

They came anyway.

“We cried for a long, long time. Then we looked at each other and started laughing. We couldn’t believe he pulled it off,” Maureen Thomson said. “Leave it to him to be the life of the party even now.”

The Thomsons spoke about their son over lunch at Game On, which has now been deemed the family’s favorite restaurant. Nearly every table in the place has windows looking out onto the billboard, and nearly every member of the Thomson family has hoisted a beer to Dennis over the past week.

â€œI look at that and know that my son did a lot more in 20 years than other people can do in 40, 50 years,” Maureen Thomson said. “He lived life, loved life.”

Thomson was hit by an allegedly drunken driver on Oct. 30, 2004 - the same day Boston hosted a World Series victory parade for his beloved Red Sox. In fact, his father was working in the drizzle not far from Yawkey Way when he got the call that a drunken driver had slammed into his son’s Jeep, ejecting him, as he drove back to the Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida along a dark stretch of the Mississippi Gulf Coast highway after visiting friends in Biloxi.

He lingered in a coma for weeks until he died Nov. 22. The 21-year-old U.S. Navy sailor who allegedly hit his vehicle is facing vehicular manslaughter charges for driving drunk.

“I buried him in a World Series T-shirt,” Maureen Thomson said. “As distraught as I was, I bought one at the airport before I flew down. There is nothing he loved more than the Red Sox.”

I’m sure the corporate hot shots in the Red Sox sales office did not know that the company’s latest billboard would be much more than a pitch to sell tickets - at least to a Boston cop and his family.

Yeah, the cop said, it’s a sign. A divine one.

“It makes me feel a little better,” he said, turning his head away to hide the moisture in his eyes. “I haven’t been asking why so much.”

A scholarship fund has been created in Dennis Thomson’s name. Donations can be sent to the Dennis Thomson Fund at Bank of America, 636 E. Broadway, South Boston, MA 02127.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:38:05 am »

Freaky. I am certain Schilling will protest this sign and demand a new sign be erected with him and his bloody sock.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:04:34 pm »

Freaky. I am certain Schilling will protest this sign and demand a new sign be erected with him and his bloody sock.

Why would you even say somthing fucked up like that? On this form?

Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »

I'm D_B, nice to meet ya...... Evil

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:25:41 pm »

That is a crazy story!!!!! Good read, Thanks Maine!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:41 pm »

It gave me chills.  When the PR people brought this story to Werner, Henry, Theo and Larry - I guess they all started crying like babies.  Sometimes things happen that really make you smirk and shrug.

-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:39 pm »

That's Denver for ya...As long as you're not looking for logic, decency or common sense, his posts can occasionally be entertaining. In this case...he's just being a schmuck.

I think this is a great story...goosebumps and all.  If I had gone to Dodger stadium after my father passed away and saw a billboard with him knocking knuckles with a Dodger player, I'd think it was a sign from above as well.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 03:51:33 pm »

Again...call me an a-hole, but I found that kind of funny.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:16:41 pm »

It's a heartwarming story, Maine.  What I find funny is the fact that it says "Red Sox tickets on sale" below the picture.  Aren't Sox games sold out well in advance?
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:29 am »

Actually - not all.  They have single tickets still up for grabs for a lot of games in...APRIL.  Arg.

-Voltaire
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray