Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:23:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Do you want Barry Zito? Make an offer!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Do you want Barry Zito? Make an offer!  (Read 9560 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »

If I were Cashman I would give up Scott Proctor and Carl Pavano.

Remember - this is Oakland we're talking about.  They couldn't absorb Pavano's contract and wouldn't have interest in a journeyman like Proctor.

Zito's ERA has only been over 4.00 one time in his entire career - and keep in mind that he stays healthy.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 03:06:13 pm »

I said those two as a way of showing how little I would want Zito. Pavano will probably sucks if he stays healthy, which is already out the window a she starts the year on the DL.

Proctor has talent but has never applied it, he too is useless.

Last 2 year's ERA's for Zito were 4.48 and 3.86. By now means bad, but not justifiable of a monster contract which is what he is looking for. Or even for a bunch of high grade prospects which is what Beane is looking for in a trade. Not to mention that his W/L the last 3 years has been 39-36.

His stats against perennial contenders like Boston and NY are horrible at best. Only a contender would trade fot Zito during the year, so how much value does he have if he can't perform well against the top teams? And Tampa Bay, which makes no sense, but whatever.

As a Yankee fan if he were put on waivers I would like to have him, but when you are looking to Carl Pavano or Aaron Small to play big roles oin winning, that isn't saying much.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 03:33:40 pm »

That's why I started this thread - curious what people think of Zito's worth...

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 04:28:55 pm »

I am fairly certain Zito will be traded right after the All-Star break instead of days before the deadline. In that case, he will fetch 2 TOP prospects and maybe another decent one. Or, the prospects and the team will have to take on Loiaza because there is no way he succeeds in Oakland this year.

On the open FA market, I would imagine 5 years/$65 Million to a team like the Mets or Tigers. Boston won't go high for him because of their rookies coming up and Yankees have sworn off that shit for the moment.

This only happens if Barry has a winning record and an ERA in the low 3's for 2006.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 10:10:00 pm »

That's why I started this thread - curious what people think of Zito's worth...

I would offer Chacon, Mieng-Wang and a player to be named later (probably one of my top AA prospects).   
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 11:14:46 pm »

I would offer Chacon, Mieng-Wang and a player to be named later (probably one of my top AA prospects).   

I can only assume you are a Red Sox fan.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:46 am »

I can only assume you are a Red Sox fan.

Nope, I'm a Yankees fan.  They need to bolster their starting pitching.  I'm offering two part-time starters/long relievers and a prospect for Zito.  I didn't look at Chacon or Mieng-Wang's contracts though.  Maybe Maine can tell me if Oakland can handle them. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:16:44 am by Tommy » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 09:09:27 am »

Yes - both have contracts that Oakland could take.  Although they probably would flip Chacon to someone for a utility infielder rather than keeping him.

-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 09:28:41 am »

Quote from: MaineDolFan=topic=8660.msg87870#msg87870 date=1141308567
Yes - both have contracts that Oakland could take.  Although they probably would flip Chacon to someone for a utility infielder rather than keeping him.

OK, like I said above..... I'm in need of some quality starting pitching.  I'm offering two capable spot starters/long-relievers and a prospect for Zito.  You will be able to save money on payroll by pulling the trigger on this deal.  Mieng-Wang looks like he could develop into a solid #2 or #3 starter later on down the road.  Do we have a deal?

Maine insert - I clicked on Tommy's post by accident - nothing has been changed by me in his response.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:40:13 pm by MaineDolFan » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 10:17:09 am »

I have to admit,I really don't know much about Barry Zito...Just what I've picked up here and there....

If Oakland could take the contract of Greg Maddux (9 mil),and maybe a prospect a I'd do it...

If they couldn't take Greg's contract,I'd offer Jerome Williams (330,000)

I'm not a Maddux fan,if they don't give him the 2-4 inches off the plate,he gets knocked around too much...

Jerome Williams ,just hasn't impressed me all that much....
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 11:55:47 am »

Nope, I'm a Yankees fan.  They need to bolster their starting pitching.  I'm offering two part-time starters/long relievers and a prospect for Zito.  I didn't look at Chacon or Mieng-Wang's contracts though.  Maybe Maine can tell me if Oakland can handle them. 

Well, Chacon did better than Zito last year. Chacon was even better than Zito on the road in the NL. Pitching at Coors Field is hazarddous to your career. So right off the bat I wouldn't make this deal.

Wang has injury problems which are a great concern, but he has fantastic stuff. Everything hit off of him is so weak because of his late movement. If he stays healthy I think this year he will be better too.

We don't have many top prospects, just some guys we feel can plug holes. Beane wouldn't settle for anything less than Duncan or Hughes. Hell, he wanted Wang, Cano and Duncan for Mark Kotsay  Shocked

Besides, Zito's ERA against Boston is like 7.00, so you don't want to mortgage your future for guys who can't beat your biggest rival.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 12:44:04 pm »

Tommy - I don't think that we do.  I would still like to work something out with Hughes.  And don't listen to Edge, New York plays Boston 19 times in 2006.  Last time I checked - you have 162 games to play the entire season. 

Bottom line with Zito - he's 28.  Career 3.50 ERA.  Career 86 wins and 53 losses.  Averages 220 innings pitched EVERY YEAR.  Extremely durable.  Knocks on 190 K's each year.

Remember - right now he's a rent-a-player in his final year.  For the right deal with do a sign and trade and he's yours for three seasons.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 01:04:26 pm »

Don't forget that Zito is your typical Oakland hippie. Going to corporate NY may not pan out so well. That, and 19 times a year can turn into 26 if both teams do well.

He would be more attractive if we traded for him and signed him long term, but I would rather wait until free agency hits and he is available.

P.S. He also has an excellent postseason history in his defense.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 01:56:48 pm »

Don't forget that Zito is your typical Oakland hippie. Going to corporate NY may not pan out so well. That, and 19 times a year can turn into 26 if both teams do well.

P.S. He also has an excellent postseason history in his defense.

Personally I subscribe to Edge's worry about Zito's performance against Boston; which is why I wouldn't want him in Boston.  I'm not as worried about how he would perform in Boston or NY; while he is a big fish in a small pond he isn't exactly Jeff Weaver.  His talent certainly surpasses that.

Zito sparkles well in the playoffs - unless, of course, he's playing NYY or BOS.  A little more of a concern to play devil's advocate here - lefties generally ruin Boston's day.  Ted Lilly, Eric Milton, David Wells are a couple examples of lefties that Boston can't hit.  Why the success against Zito - who has better overall stuff than those three I just outlined?  Odd, indeed.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 03:08:33 pm »

I know exactly why Zito fails against Boston and NY: his fastball. He has a HORRIBLE fastball. HORRIBLE. Not so much in velocity, but it has no movement.

When Jeter went through his 0-32 slide a few years back, he broke out of it with a HR against Zito on a fastball. The rest of the game NY hammered Zito on his fastball and only his fastball. His curve is still insane, but power hitters which is what Boston and NY have can turn on almost any fastball in a second. That's why he struggles against us.

FTR, I would give Zito the big contract over Hudson and Mulder. I have no idea what happened to Hudson last year. You would figure being coached by Mazzone, the weaker hitting league and the friendliest pitcher's division in baseball would make him a Cy Young lock. He had a good year, but not for $11 Million.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray