Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:19:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Why I have a woody for Jon Lester.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why I have a woody for Jon Lester.  (Read 3890 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:44:45 pm »

Anyone that knows me know that I am a baseball purist.  If I could, I would cover ONLY minor league teams.  There is something about watching these kids in the minors, working their way, and knowing that the world is going to sit up and notice when they make it to the bigs. 

Being in Portland I have been extremely lucky to cover a lot of guys that are now making a name for themselves in the bigs.  A handful of these guys are close, personal friends of mine - one even a member of my wedding party.

One kid that I really enjoyed was Chacin (TOR) when he was in New Hampshire.  Not only is he a good kid, but he is a gamer.  I really think you'll see this kid bloom into something special. 

But I have never been as excited about anyone as I am Jon Lester.  Not Josh Beckett, not AJ, not Renteria, not Lowell.

Jon Lester is going to be a monster.  Period.  I am just happy that he just happens to be in the Sox system.

Lester led all of the minor leagues last year (AA and AAA) in ERA (2.61) OBA (.215), and 163 strikeouts in 148 innings.  He was the AA pitcher of the year. 

Did I mention that he's a lefty?

Lester has 6 pitches that he throws well.  Not a typo.  That's 6.  2-seam / 4-seam / change up / curve / slider / cutter.  These are pitches that he throws effectively for strikes, not ones that he's just messing around with.  Lester's fastball tops out at 98mph, averages 96mph, and his changeup dips into the 70's.

Guess who taught him the art of the change-up?  Yep, that would be Pedro.

I just received a dvd-rom of Lester's BP session.  The first batter that he faced was David Ortiz.  The same Ortiz that sent four Bronson Arroyo pitches onto Mars about ten minutes earlier.  Now...when vets step in to batting practice against minor league kids, they aren't nice.

Ortiz to Lester, as he steps in:  "Boy, I'm going to rip your ass apart.  You'll be lucky if they don't send you to single A after this."

Jason Varitek was catching him.  In true vets versus rookies spirit, he called the pitches out.

"Low and away two seam, Jon.  Throw it."

Low and away two seam.  Over the past three seasons, 50% of the pitches that Ortiz launches are low and away fastballs.

Pitch one - 97 miles per hour, crazy movement, big swing and miss my Ortiz.  More barking from David to Lester.

"Ten / six curve, Jon.  Throw it."

Pitch two - beautiful curve that buckled Ortiz's knees.

"Cutter, John.  Low and in."

Pitch three - a 94 mile per hour cutter.  Oritz swings, grounds softly to second base.  His bat shreds into three pieces.

Ortiz smiles at Lester and walks off.  Enter Trot Nixon.  Six pitch battle into a base hit.  Enter Mark Loretta.  Five pitch strike out.

Every team in the majors has called Boston at one time or another about Lester.  Florida initially balked at the Beckett deal because Boston wouldn't include him, they "settled" for Sanchez (another kid I'm excited about).

Rightfully so - you'll hear a lot of pub out of Boston this season about Papelbon.  He's crazy good and will make his mark this year.  Lester won't make the initial team, he'll start in AAA this year.  But mark my words on this one - you'll know who Jon Lester is before the end of the year.

For you fantasy baseball guys out there - tab him as one to watch.  Once he makes the roster, probably around the all-star break, add him to your roster.  You'll be rewarded, trust me on this one.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 03:00:32 pm »

Brien Taylor was the next great Yankee pitcher, remember ?

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 03:04:34 pm »

Brien Taylor was the next great Yankee pitcher, remember ?

Yeah, but Brien didn't fizzle out like Ed Yranall or Ted Lilly. He was injured in a bar fight. If he stayed healthy, he could've been great.

Lester along with Papelbon and Hansen who the Yankees passed on for some reason should be a nice rotation for Boston for years to come.

I thought Chacin should've won ROTY over Street. Huston was great, but I think any team would take a very good starter over a great closer. I guess Gustavo's ugliness was too much to overcome.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 03:04:52 pm »

I understand (better than most, I think) that potential does not equal success; I'm a former D-I pitcher that throws 95 MPH myself.  I tossed in a cage last week and hit 92 without problems.  So a lot of these guys flame out.  But there is something about Papelbon and Lester - the same feelings I got while watching Beckett and Burnett.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 03:25:29 pm by MaineDolFan » Logged

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 03:06:01 pm »

I thought Chacin should've won ROTY over Street. Huston was great, but I think any team would take a very good starter over a great closer. I guess Gustavo's ugliness was too much to overcome.

I couldn't agree more!!!!  Chacin is just SICK.  I truly feel he could knock on 18-20 wins this season...which is why I really think the Jays didn't need Burnett.  But that's just me.

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:07:42 pm »

Lester along with Papelbon and Hansen who the Yankees passed on for some reason should be a nice rotation for Boston for years to come.

NYY dropped the ball on Hansen, all due to his agent.  They didn't want to deal with him.  Too bad, too.  He is from Long Island and was a life long Yankee fan until college.  Turns out that his asking price was lower than NYY ever thought it would be, they have stated that they mis-stepped on him.  He is going to be a great closer.

-Voltaire
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 03:40:24 pm »

i didn't want chacin to get it because of what happened to another player on our team that won the rookie of the year a few years ago. don't want another eric hinske thing.

Call him ugly again and i will write a very mean letter to you.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:55:45 pm »

Call him ugly again and i will write a very mean letter to you.

I kind of think he meant his stuff...not his looks.
Smiley

Although he does look as though he were run over by the ugly train.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 04:35:20 pm »

NYY dropped the ball on Hansen, all due to his agent.  They didn't want to deal with him.  Too bad, too.  He is from Long Island and was a life long Yankee fan until college.  Turns out that his asking price was lower than NYY ever thought it would be, they have stated that they mis-stepped on him.  He is going to be a great closer.

We got Cox from Texas who is also a great closer, so in the end it wasn't so bad. Instead we took CJ henry out of High School. He has a lot of potential and the team will try to move him to the outfield because of his atheltic skills.

However, as per Beane philosophy, it's always better to take college talent over high school talent. They are more polished and can contribute faster. If CJ ever plays for the Yankees it will be in 2009. Hansen pitched last year IIRC.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray